Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (8/26-28) | Invitation 775K Previews

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Unless my math or the numbers are wrong, that Rogue One PTA is going to dwarf every other film this weekend. Shame its theater count is so low as it might have cracked the top five it had a larger rollout into 1000+ theaters for the weekend.

1 hour ago, M37 said:

It has that high of a PTA because it’s an IMAX exclusive. ET rerelease went from an IMAX exclusive to an 800 theater run in second week and the PTA dropped by 85%

The only critique I would add is that the number probably could have been a bit higher if it was all PLFs instead of an IMAX exclusive, but otherwise I agree with the basic thrust of M37’s post in that the re-release was/is inherently limited in box office potential.

Edited by Porthos

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

I remember a couple of posters on here saying Dragonball might do $100m...

Wait, what? In the US, off a 20M opener? No fucking way. It didn't even outopen DS and there was absolutely no reason to believe it would have better or even just equivalent legs to it.

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Movies are dead. God is dead! The government's lame! Thanksgiving is about killing Indians! Jesus wasn't born on Christmas! They moved the date, it was a pagan holiday!”

these big budget streaming shows will eventually kill the big budget theatrical movie business also

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

and 10/10 are shills so that balances it out. If that's how you want yo play. why would 10/10 be more genuine than 1/10? both are sus for different reasons. I can believe in under 10/10s and over 1/10s but only dimissing 1/10 but never 10/10 is bull. 

When I look at reviews, I typically checkout the 2-9 scores, since it removes all stans and haters. Even on product reviews (like Amazon) I'll focus on the 2-4 range, and read those reviews, since 5s are easily paid for, and 1s could be a bad experience completely irrelevant to the product. I wish sites would give more weight to 2s and 9s (or 2s and 4s), but many promote a culture of leaving the highest (or lowest) score.

Another method would be to have the score you see be customized, based on what people similar to you thought. I believe that's how Netflix's old rating system worked. If you liked something, they'd recommend things that other people who liked that also liked. But then people would post scores showing low recommendations for things, and that's bad PR (see the Amy Schumer thing) and they changed it. 

There used to be a browser extension called 'Heirloom' which would take the scores you'd leave on RT, then basically find critics that have similar taste, and reweight the tomato scores. That was beautiful and amazing. I really miss it. Don't know why it ever disappeared. 

it does just so happen that a lot of the big tentpole tv releases are happening around now while the box office is dead. house of dragons, lord of the rings, she hulk, andor. nobody gives a fuck what's playing in cinemas at the moment.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1