Grebacio

Weekend Thread | Actuals: Smile 22.6, DWD 6.85, TWK 6.8, Avatar 5, Bros 4.8

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I wonder how Spoiler Alert will do at the box office. It's not a raucous comedy, but it's a romance where the lead actors are out. It's based on a true story, but I can still picture it getting bashed somewhere on Twitter for "conforming to tropes" or something.

Parsons is obviously a much bigger name to general audiences than Eichner (thanks to Sheldon Cooper) but I imagine that movie's box office chances will depend even more on reviews/awards prospects. If it makes about half of what Showalter's The Big Sick did (almost $43M) I'd say it would be considered a success.

46 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Parsons is obviously a much bigger name to general audiences than Eichner (thanks to Sheldon Cooper) but I imagine that movie's box office chances will depend even more on reviews/awards prospects. If it makes about half of what Showalter's The Big Sick did (almost $43M) I'd say it would be considered a success.

Awards prospects always help, but a comedy/drama/romance can succeed without necessarily having great reviews. The presence of Sally Field makes me think of Steel Magnolias, which did get an Oscar nomination, but its critical reception was not great at the time. Not to say that Spoiler Alert will do that well, as any sort of low-key movie has an uphill battle in today's theatrical climate.

Oscar has gone a different way in recent years, but just saying, Top Gun and its sequel are not totally different from the first Best Picture winner, Wings:

• Like 1

I've just watched the trailer for Bros and there is a scene depicting a foursome (with a double blowjob). I mean, this was obviously waaay too explicit for any straight man to watch. And straight women who might enjoy gay comedies are probably more interested in the romance than the sex. Same for lesbians really. So that's what, 97% of the population who might be turned off by this movie? It was never going to do well.

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Apatow has directed/produced a lot of great comedies. Is he not liked on Twitter? 

idk just not the biggest fan. it was tough for me when the apatow house style was like every comedy ten years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Apatow has directed/produced a lot of great comedies. Is he not liked on Twitter? 

The legendary tweet from the Maude Apatow fan arguing that Maude wasn’t a nepotism baby because her dad is just an “indie director” from the olden days is the only time I remember seeing his films discussed.

Edited by AJG

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The presence of Sally Field makes me think of Steel Magnolias, which did get an Oscar nomination, but its critical reception was not great at the time.

Funny you mention Steel Magnolias (which was a solid commercial hit), I suggested a piece recently about it having a legacy sequel.

Most of the main cast is still alive and its audience has grown considerably since '89 thanks to home video and TV. 

If Sony announced a sequel tomorrow, you'd get a lot of positive feedback I'd argue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Funny you mention Steel Magnolias (which was a solid commercial hit), I suggested a piece recently about it having a legacy sequel.

Most of the main cast is still alive and its audience has grown considerably since '89 thanks to home video and TV. 

If Sony announced a sequel tomorrow, you'd get a lot of positive feedback I'd argue.

You can't do it without Julia and ... well, you can't do it with Julia 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Don't think his films are hated per se, but his Twitter account and vibes online scream slacktivism and faux-progressive, at least to me. His attempts at trying to sound woke sound hypocritical from a guy whose filmography consists of whiny man children and high-strung girlfriends putting up with their garbage. But I guess it's not worse compared to other celebs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric Smiley said:

Don't think his films are hated per se, but his Twitter account and vibes online scream slacktivism and faux-progressive, at least to me. His attempts at trying to sound woke sound hypocritical from a guy whose filmography consists of whiny man children and high-strung girlfriends putting up with their garbage. But I guess it's not worse compared to other celebs.

Meh, the same can be said of Stephen King and people kiss his ass. Every book had grossly racist, homophobic and mysognistic characters to the point where he seemed like he revelled in it. It wasn't just one or two instances, it felt like an extension of himself. It's actually uncomfortable reading his old stuff. But now he plays Mr Woke on Twitter. 

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Nah you could.

But I'll make a concession. You have that baby named after her at the end all grown up and played by... Emma Roberts.

It would've been perfect if Julia's character had had a daughter in the story, then Emma could play her in a sequel. It doesn't make any sense for Daryl Hannah's kid to grow up and look like Julia Roberts, unless naming a baby after someone helps them resemble that person. I guess it could be like The Conjuring universe, where Vera and Taissa Farmiga's characters are apparently unrelated.