YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

If I were WBD I would do anything in my power to give BA a China release.IDK about how the demon sunlit would work in this market or audiences would outright reject it but everything else, The Rock and the relentless action sequences, are things they usually eat up. Right now I could see it pulling a 400M worldwide haul, but China could potentially push it above the 500M mark.

58 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

So 195-200m bud.

Using 50-40-25 split.

Without china it will require 450ish -460ish m to break even.

With china

490-500m to break even.

Your budget does not include print and advertising budget which could be 100-150 for a movie with 200m budget. That would push breakeven point much higher. Other things that can reduce profit would be if any of the people involved (actors, director, etc) have a deal to receive a percentage of gross or profit. On the other hand a movie earns revenue from other sources other than theatrical such as PVOD/SVOD, BluRay and DVD, streaming, etc which will push theatrical breakeven point lower. 

53 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Do we take audience scores on any website seriously? Isn’t mostly just fanboys scoring anyway?

IMDB is complete shit, filled with fanboys. RT Audience rating used to be somewhat bad as well (though not as bad as IMDB) but in 2019 they introduced verified audience score where only people who have seen the movie can score. In that sense it is similar to CinemaScore and Posttrack in that these ratings only include people who have actually seen the movie. 

Although these rating systems usually take ratings during opening weekend which would mean the sample size would include a majority of fanboys or people who already had high interest in the movie. But it is still a better system than others like IMDB/Google where anyone can vote. RT verified rating is in a way better in that people it includes ratings from people who have seen the movie after opening weekend. Plus its a bigger sample size than CS and PT

37 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Yeah it’s just a stupid system really to use as a representation of how audiences are really feeling though. Especially when something like Zack Snyders Justice League has 94%.

Streaming movies and shows do not have verified audience rating which means it is prone to the same kind of manipulation that IMDB and the RT of old was. I would not put much stock in RT non verified audience ratings for streaming movies and shows. 

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

We don't know the budget. I don't buy those 200M numbers floating around. WB would never give that much money to an unknown superhero. The Batman budget was under 100M. I assume BA budget is around that

The Batman's budget was close 185-200. The 100 million that was initially reported was incorrect and later rectified. One factor for the increased budget I think was due to it being delayed a lot due to COVID. 

8 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Are critics fanboys now?

I think he meant CinemaScore

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

Do we take audience scores on any website seriously? Isn’t mostly just fanboys scoring anyway?

They shouldn't be taken as definitive but they can give some insight into what the general sentiment and discourse around a property are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

They shouldn't be taken as definitive but they can give some insight into what the general sentiment and discourse around a property are.

Okay I agree with this.

It’s just I didn’t think we put as much stock in rotten tomatoes audience score but lesson learned I guess.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Okay just checked..

Superpets hit 20 pages.

Nope hit 24 pages.

Thor Love and Thunder got 97 pages. :ohmygod:

Worth noting that Black Adam Is the first 50M+ opener since Thor Love and Thunder

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, Eric Adam said:

Just wanted to mention as always that there's no spoilers allowed, including that certain spoiler The Rock himself already revealed to the press and public. We do have a spoiler thread here however for you to go into more detail:

Just a reminder to some of you :)

Moderation

@VENOM has been threadbanned for blatantly sharing spoilers out in the open despite a previous mod reminder. I know a big spoiler was revealed in the press, but we're treating this just like how we did with the "Variety Harry Styles" fiasco and with any other spoiler.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

First Thor love and Thunder and now BLack adam. I need a shower for my eyes.

Hey at least you loved Jurassic World Dominion just as everyone else that saw Jurassic World Dominion loved Jurassic World: Dominion.