YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

8 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

73m for black adam vs 76m for shazam

2.38x legs for shazam

this should have better legs and probably the actuals will come a little higher

BA's action definitely playing better in Asia than Shazam's humor.

• Like 2

Solid result for BA. Could have been (and I was expecting) up to $10m less. A $180m-$200m domestic, $450m-$500m global finish is enough to keep this character around, not a sequel off the bat but keep him around the ensemble.

I caught BA last night. There was a solid 20 minute chunk late in the 2nd act that mostly featured The Rock bouncing off Pierce and Aldis. The film needed a lot more of that entire vibe than the CGI-fests. And while I walked out feeling dumb n’ numb, that was still better than being whacked by L&T’s tonal sledgehammer.

• Like 2

Curious what the legs on this will be like, the audience score on RT (both verified and unverified) are both quite high at 90+ percent.

I won't be seeing this movie(maybe on HBOMax in a few months, I've been burnt out on the genre for many years now) but I always root for Dwayne Johnson, hes just got a natural winning screen presence and generally seems like a humble dude in RL.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Yea ,The Rock is a cool dude and he does a heavy lifting in promotions, he pretty much single-handedly

delivered this result fo BA. That said he never delivers great films, on the other hand he never really makes unwatachable duds. He is rock solid (pun intended) but rarely a shiny diamond.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Do we take audience scores on any website seriously? Isn’t mostly just fanboys scoring anyway?

Verified audience scores on RT are people who actually bought tickets for the movie. So sure there are fanboys giving the scores but it’s the same for any movie on RT, not just superhero movies. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

After passing SHREK 2 worldwide last weekend and becoming Illumination's highest grossing domestic film of all time as well as the highest grossing film in the Despicable Me franchise (the highest-grossing animated franchise worldwide), MINIONS 2 is approaching 933m WW, its WW-China (900m) is now larger than DM3 WW-C (880m)

Domestic Box Office $368,775,620 Details
International Box Office $563,918,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $932,693,620
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Not sure if WB will stick to their 45 days to HBO Max policy but that 45 days window will put HBO max debut date on somewhere around Dec 5, or 6. That is leaving some money on table during a complete silent period before A2. 

I imagine they'll hold the HBO Max release until Christmas Day so that way they have a big movie launching on that date.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Verified audience scores on RT are people who actually bought tickets for the movie. So sure there are fanboys giving the scores but it’s the same for any movie on RT, not just superhero movies. 

Yeah it’s just a stupid system really to use as a representation of how audiences are really feeling though. Especially when something like Zack Snyders Justice League has 94%.

43 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Even if WF only opens to 125m it's still going to cut into BA's legs.

For that weekend, but it's not like Black Adam will be facing theater drops...and that's what matters...hanging around so subscribers and fans can rewatch and convince some of their laggard friends and family to pop in for a 1st watch...

I rewatched Fast Five a few days ago and in that movie, The Rock still gives his best perfomance to date imo. Hes like a walking and shouting and driving bottle of Testosterone, but he plays the part seriously enough that it doesnt seem like hes a parody, which i feel like he has somewhat become in recent years. Dont get me wrong, i think hes likable and entertaining to watch, but the kind of raw energy that he omitted in Fast Five seems kind of gone.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Yeah it’s just a stupid system really to use as a representation of how audiences are really feeling though. Especially when something like Zack Snyders Justice League has 94%.

Zack Snyders Justice League wasnt in theaters, so the "verified" obviously doesn't apply...

• Like 2

From Deadline:

More under the hood with Black Adam: PLFs and Imax drove 33% of the box office. Imax alone collected $6.3M. The top ten theaters overall are: 1. AMC Burbank, 2. AMC Empire New York, 3. Cinemark Egyptian Baltimore, 4. AMC Lincoln Square New York, 5. AMC Disney Springs Orlando, 6. AMC Orange, 7. Harkins Estrella Falls Phoenix, 8. AMC Veterans Expressway Tampa, 9. Cineplex
Cinemas Vaughan Toronto, and 10. Santikos Palladium San Antonio. And the top ten markets were1. Los Angeles, 2. New York, 3. Dallas, 4. Houston, 5. Chicago, 6. San Francisco, 7. Atlanta, 8. Toronto, 9. Washington DC, and 10. Philadelphia. Every film Warner Bros has had this year has opened to No. 1 at the box office.

Also Till expands to 2,000 theaters next weekend.

30 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

$67M for a OW of a character nobody ever heard of =  bad?   That's pure unreasonable hate.. 

stop calling other peoples opinions “hate” it’s total nonsense and provocative. Also I think what people are calling bad is the budget to opening ratio which is fair.

Just now, VENOM said:

stop calling other peoples opinions “hate” it’s total nonsense and provocative. Also I think what people are calling bad is the budget to opening ratio which is fair.

We don't know the budget. I don't buy those 200M numbers floating around. WB would never give that much money to an unknown superhero. The Batman budget was under 100M. I assume BA budget is around that