Eric is Anxious

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

23 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

uhh Black Panther sequel opening below Doctor freaking Strange sequel is lol

Not sure if serious.

DS2 had a lot of good will from No Way home, pitched as the next big event movie. It wasn’t, but I blame that on bad marketing.

• Like 1

Second weekend will be the beginning of a LOT of people's Thanksgiving week. Not sure what this Sunday's hold will be, but next Sunday's should be excellent.

If the weekend ends up being a pallid $170-$175 million, and the WOM is what it is, could we see a sub-50% drop in its second week like the first one?

And Thanksgiving weekend usually sees sub-40% drops for most movies (unless it's the second weekend).

Doctor Strange saw a 22.7% drop

Ragnarok: 22.2%

Dark World: 21.9%

Eternals: 28.5%

Then there's the Thanksgiving week with much better weekday holds due to the holiday.

Doctor Strange: 75.8% of the weekend

Thor Rag: 80.2% of the weekend

Thor DW: 69.5% of weekend

Eternals: 76.8% of weekend

No matter what the OW ends up being (probably $170 m or even a little less), the next 2 weekends will be VERY interesting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Black panther is like 40% the strength of endgame tbf. Makes sense that it’s not causing that much damage (though deadline nums are certainly higher than what I had penciled)

What if some people intended to watch Black Panther and by mistake bought tickets for Black Adam? :thinking:

• Astonished 2

There were only 15 or so people present for the 11:30 am showing I attended today. However, there are 39 showtimes today at this theater so it's not going to be difficult to find a ticket. Oddly, there was no teaser/trailer for The Little Mermaid before my showing. 

The movie itself is enjoyable but it's not anywhere close being a classic like the first one. I did appreciate how there is nary a male protagonist in the film apart from Winston Duke's character. Unfortunately that is the one element of the film which will likely reduce its ability to attract repeat viewers. It also lacks a cool factor which the first one had. The four female leads were all outstanding, though. 

1 hour ago, Eric Killmonger said:

Also from Deadline

What the heck is with this Black Adam discrepancy? You really couldn't pick a smaller range?

Third belongs to Universal’s fourth weekend of Ticket to Paradise at 3,633 which is eyeing a fourth Friday of $2.4M, -9%, and a 3-day of $6.9M, -19%, and total of $57.3M.

Her saving an entire subgenre from extinction (Lost City doesn't count - it's an adventure, not a romcom)

Pretty Woman Julia Roberts GIF - Pretty Woman Julia Roberts Work It GIFs

Just looking at monster openings like WF this weekend, makes me think about just how insane it was that we literally had a movie open to 350 FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS.

Like, let that sink in. I know it's common knowledge at this point, but sometimes it just hits me that something managed to open that big. 

• Like 9