The Wild Eric

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The entire theater of Fabelmans laughed, cried, and cheered more and harder than the Dolby theater did during Black Panther on Thursday. So no

And it contains one of Spielberg's greatest, most cinematic final shots

Too bad the masses don't care and only want to watch horror movies/nostalgic toy commercials.

Wakanda Forever represents the kind of storytelling that was sorely missing from this phase. And I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed most of Phase 4 for what it was. Incredible acting all around, a story that makes sense, consistently high stakes, and characters who you actually take seriously.If Taika does secure another Thor then he needs to take notes. Tenoch Huerta in particular was a fantastic Namor. Even with the major ethnicity shift he still embodies the fierceness and grey morality of him from the comics. He puts his people above all else, as the Sub-Mariner should. And they made his ankle wings legitimately scary. Those alone make him lethal, and Coogler makes sure you know it. And kudos to Letitia Wright for genuinely blowing me away. I was apprehensive about Shuri being the new lead going forward, but after this movie I welcome her with (mostly) open arms. They even made me like Ironheart. The discount Tony Stark wannabe. I'm definitely interested in her spin-off now.

This is unfortunately not going to reach the $1B mark, but I still hope it makes all the money it can before Avatar 2 comes along. I'm very glad to see Phase 4 end on a high note, and what we've seen from Quantumania and Secret Invasion make me hopeful Phase 5 will start off strong.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The entire theater of Fabelmans laughed, cried, and cheered more and harder than the Dolby theater did during Black Panther on Thursday. So no

And it contains one of Spielberg's greatest, most cinematic final shots

Never said anything about the quality of the movie but masses of people are not flocking to the theatres unless your movie has ridiculous star power or is a big screen event (marvel, dc, top gun) 

3 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Yes she is. But she´s going to be overlooked because it´s a superhero movie. Also the category is stacked this year.

People say this every year.  The buzz is already there for Bassett.  Now let's see if there's enough votes in the Academy to support a nomination.  Anything's possible.  She obviously always deserves it.  

The only reason the original Black Panther was anywhere near the Oscars was because of how poor the prestige movie lineup for 2018 was. The likes of Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book getting nominated for Best Picture, and the latter outright winning it, should tell you everything you need to know. Marvel got lucky that one time. I don't think that's happening again.

39 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

They're only expanding to 600 theaters on Thanksgiving. So they're playing the long game which is smart. Did the same with Green Book in 2018

Green Book also didn't have a great OW in limited release (by 2018 standards) and awards watchers said it was out of serious contention. That one got written off a dozen different times before Oscar night, hopefully The Fabelmans isn't the same sort of awards season villain.

The 2018 Best Picture lineup was not some unique blemish on the Oscars, the nominees and even winners have veered from great to terrible and back since the beginning.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GOGODanca said:

Never said anything about the quality of the movie but masses of people are not flocking to the theatres unless your movie has ridiculous star power or is a big screen event (marvel, dc, top gun) 

You're not wrong about that, but your initial framing was definitely wrong and dismissive and indicative of quality

10 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yes.

Both of Dr Strange and Thor would've done more if they were actually good.

You can check their trending or just check the scores on Post Track and Cinemascore and you'll find that audience reception has been poor.

That applies to vast majority of blockbusters. Even with poor-ish reception, they are matching "peak" MCU. That doesn't seem like some sort of massive downward trend. Especially with a bunch of different variables that don't apply to the Phase 3 flicks. It's not like SW, which saw massive drop offs starting with TLJ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

about to see a sold out blockbuster in a 750-seat theater that’s everyone taking about. Gonna be a nice three hours

image.jpeg

Easily better than any MUC movie ever. Honestly the best movie of the year and better than the overrated Everything Everywhere. 

The Fabelmans’ start seems perfectly fine to me. Mentioned a few weeks ago it would have to deal with Black Panther for theater space even at the theaters it would be playing at so it likely maxed out its potential given the intense competition. It’s set for 600 theaters on Thanksgiving weekend so it looks like they’re playing the long game for it (I imagine this will have a longer window than most Universal titles do because of Spielberg).

That drop for Ticket to Paradise drop is insane.

And finally, obviously superb start for Black Panther. The first movie overperformed to the point where it had nowhere to go but down, and the circumstances surrounding this movie put it in “unprecedented” territory in terms of blockbuster franchise cinema. We’ll see how frontloaded it is (the theater I’m seeing it at in a few hours is just as busy as it was yesterday FYI), but I imagine Marvel/Disney will be extremely happy with these results.

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

The Fabelmans’ start seems perfectly fine to me. Mentioned a few weeks ago it would have to deal with Black Panther for theater space even at the theaters it would be playing at so it likely maxed out its potential given the intense competition. It’s set for 600 theaters on Thanksgiving weekend so it looks like they’re playing the long game for it (I imagine this will have a longer window than most Universal titles do because of Spielberg).

That drop for Ticket to Paradise drop is insane.

And finally, obviously superb start for Black Panther. The first movie overperformed to the point where it had nowhere to go but down, and the circumstances surrounding this movie put it in “unprecedented” territory in terms of blockbuster franchise cinema. We’ll see how frontloaded it is (the theater I’m seeing it at in a few hours is just as busy as it was yesterday FYI), but I imagine Marvel/Disney will be extremely happy with these results.

I never believed the "fighting for Black Panther's theater space" argument when it's been common practice during fall seasons prestige films opened concurrently with blockbusters. 

12 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I never believed the "fighting for Black Panther's theater space" argument when it's been common practice during fall seasons prestige films opened concurrently with blockbusters. 

As @BoxOfficeFangrl mentioned, it’s playing at regular multiplexes (which are obviously giving Black Panther the biggest auditoriums even in NYC/LA), cause the chains that would’ve powered it to a crazy huge average are no more. Add in a showtime-restricting runtime of 2.5 hours (+ 20 minutes of previews) and it’s doing as well as it possibly could under the circumstances. This is just the new normal for specialty fare. It should easily have much better luck in expansion than, say, TAR or Banshees did too, since it’s a Spielberg joint. I doubt Universal is sweating over these numbers (and in fact likely view them as a success given that it opened opposite one movie that’s completely dominating right now).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I was today years old when I found out the World Cup was coming soon. 

Isn’t it usuaully in the summer? In a pub just now and they have the world flags up lol

Had to have it in the winter this year due to where it’s taking place.