Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

ikr? went from 4 billie to er lets keep it real. :hahaha:

I appreciate this, because I feel like it’s going to cut down on some of the meltdowns this weekend. But I also feel like you’re sacrificing thread page count.

• Haha 1

Just now, Cap said:

I appreciate this, because I feel like it’s going to cut down on some of the meltdowns this weekend. But I also feel like you’re sacrificing thread page count.

Meltdowns would definitely bring up the page count (granted you don't ban them xD)

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

Cap, just by looking at the last 1000 pages of the Avatar 2 thread, i think having Avatar 2 "underperform" and then NOT causing the most massive meltdowns in BOT history from 3 users alone would be the definition of impossible.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nikostar said:

This going to be a rough weekend. Even the OS numbers are not looking so hot. Maybe this is just the state of the Boxoffice now. 

you know that avatar at worst is entering at 8 of all time ow and at best 2

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

Out of my town’s three multiplexes, the Regal where I work is the harshest cutter of the bunch.

Regal has become notorious for booking ~50% of screens with these isolated tentpole release, at the expense of whatever else it out. I presume its because they lost some customer base in competitive markets being closed during COVID while others were still open, and also that their branded PLF - RPX - is way down the list in popularity, so they're trying to make it up with volume (and often extended operating hours).  But IMO, its really terrible for the long term health of theaters/the market, cutting off legs even more and pushing people to streaming, and having less to product/options to fall back on when these tentpoles don't quite meet expectations.

How much value does the 8th screen of Avatar at a 16-plex really add, at the cost of playing a few more titles? (Avatar with its running length and numerous format options has a better case for extra screens that the MCU titles, but its been a constant for them)

• Like 4

Will be more interesting to see how the film performs Saturday/Sunday, both Domestic and Internationally, due to it's runtime. I'm not ready to be negative about the prospects of Way of Water until at least Saturday with Sunday estimates, it isn't a fan driven franchise the same way DC, MCU and Star Wars are. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Cap, just by looking at the last 1000 pages of the Avatar 2 thread, i think having Avatar 2 "underperform" and then NOT causing the most massive meltdowns in BOT history from 3 users alone would be the definition of impossible.

Hey, I tried to do my part as Eeyore to reset some expectations this week, to the point that I think the movie is more likely to surprise to the higher side than go even lower to the low one I posted...and that will make for happy posters and a happy thread.

I mean, a week ago, $150Mish DOM OW would have been catastrophic to many, now it can be uber-joyful:).  So, my work is done:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So when they say this needs 2 billion to break even does that include the ancillary market?

It's not $2 billion. The movie's budget is approx. $350m, with $400m being a possible high end. General rule of thumb for blockbusters at 2.5x to breakeven puts TWoW at $875m-1b.