Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

8 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I'll be more conservative and say 250 M from the two markets, although 275 M is possible.

I'm sorry to be mean, but this detached from reality.   

Maybe 210 combined, 235 if things go great

8 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I'm still thinking A for the record, but rt reception is definitely A/A+ range so far. At the very least I am pretty confident this isn't getting less than A now though which is rather nice.

It's possible it does get A+ b/c it's filled with pre-existing Avatar 1 fans and not many others this weekend - I mean we're dropping $50-$70M worth of GA from Deadline's 5 day old predict - and we don't really know how big the Avatar fan base is.  So, I'm not ruling out any Cinescore...although I don't think it will be all that helpful for legs now that we are seeing the lower-than-expected possible weekend...

• Like 1

The Jimbros only have themselves to blame for their unrealistic expectations. $3B was simply never happening in the streaming era. And that's not even factoring in the impact of COVID and the ridiculous inflation of the past couple of years. No Way Home will likely be the ceiling for exhibition in the new world for a very long time. The new Avatar 1 if you will.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

This is all playing out like Titanic and Avatar did. Tons of buzz up to the release. Underwhelming opening weekend, whispers of flop. Then the movie never leaves the theaters for 5 months. The releases this holiday are not strong nor in Jan. This will rule for two months straight. Avatar will be king until ant man comes out.

Neither Titanic or Avatar openings were considered underwhelming at their time!

Titanic faced the opening of a 007 movie and despite this it won the weekend with a superb 28.6M. It was then the 2nd best December opening ever, behind Scream 2 (32.9M), which curiously had opened the weekend before Titanic. After that opening it was pretty clear it would gross way more than 150M+ avoiding flop territory. Legs were beyond amazing, so the OW now looks like it was underwhelming. I remember vividly those days.

Avatar (77M) was only 200k behind the biggest December opening at that time (I am Legend, two years before). It was inmediately seen as a huge win for Cameron, with many pointing to 400M+ DOM run.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stripe said:

Neither Titanic or Avatar openings were considered underwhelming at their time!

Titanic faced the opening of a 007 movie and despite this it won the weekend with a superb 28.6M. It was then the 2nd best December opening ever, behind Scream 2 (32.9M), which curiously had opened the weekend before Titanic. After that opening it was pretty clear it would gross way more than 150M+ avoiding flop territory. Legs were beyond amazing, so the OW now looks like it was underwhelming. I remember vividly those days.

Avatar (77M) was only 200k behind the biggest December opening at that time (I am Legend, two years before). It was inmediately seen as a huge win for Cameron, with many pointing to 400M+ DOM run.

Scream 2 opening there wasn't really curious, it was near enough exactly a year after the first one opened. 

14 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

After sleeping on it, I'm struggling to see this take off like the first.

Gonna be a long weekend :hahaha:

I think the writing is on the wall, not just for the weekend but overall, it’s just a question of how long it takes for everyone to recognize and accept it 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like strong A cinemascore is coming like the first one. 

Like i said, if the legs ended up being disappointing we'll have a hard time figuring out why because the WOM is there with nearly non-existent competition for more than 2 months

I mean few people who already watched it already told us why it is only good and won't have much repeat viewings. They liked first avatar better.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like strong A cinemascore is coming like the first one. 

Like i said, if the legs ended up being disappointing we'll have a hard time figuring out why because the WOM is there with nearly non-existent competition for more than 2 months

Expectations. WOM is strong, still not nearly as strong as the first had in 2009.

• Like 1

Just now, Nero said:

I mean few people who already watched it already told us why it is only good and won't have much repeat viewings. They liked first avatar better.

I really can't say if it's a joke or a serious post, but it made me laugh so i'll assume it's a joke

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Expectations. WOM is strong, still not nearly as strong as the first had in 2009.

It's not a strong as the first (which is possibly the best WOM of the decade so it's fine not surpassing), but not nearly close? Eh, early data itself seems close enough to me.

Edited by ThomasNicole