Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

6 minutes ago, CanadianNaturist said:

The MCU? How is the MCU more character driven than Avatar? 

It's "character driven" in that: The Great Secret of the Success of the MCU is The General Audience Cares About the Characters.

IMO and others, at least.

Calling it "character driven" might be a misnomer, but I do think this is more true than not when it comes to why the MCU succeeded so much where other attempts failed.

eta:  Also could explain why Phase 4 is.... let's say "more uneven" in reception.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW, More Real Talk.

I have no idea if IronJimbo really is taking a break or not (intentionally not gonna tag him coz I hated it when I got tagged on... certain OWs).  If he is, it's possible due to international numbers and not the domestic.

But if he is, I truly hope he is taking time to relax, unplug, and ***stay the fuck away from the discussion here***.

Because I know better than many just how utterly.... I'll be nice and say "irksome" such discussions like this WE thread can be in situations like this.  Especially since the jury is still out when it comes to legs (has barely been more than 24 hours since the first showtimes got out on the East Coast you know).  While we have pretty strong indicators in other markets, they're still just that: Indicators.   

Mostly of course, I hope he is enjoying his movie and the fact that A3 is certain to happen and A4 is all-but-certain to (and if A4 is made, I'll also place a heavy bet on A5).   That is, after all, the important thing here.

This is why I just stood away for a while when we got KoTM OW numbers lol. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

too low, may not pass Maverick OW

That doesn't seem likely to me, Saturday sales are too good not to have some kind decent increase, though it could fall below $130M in the less optimistic scenario

Will be behind TGM after Monday, and don't know if it will ever be ahead of it again ...

• Like 1

Just now, AnDr3s said:

remember

Headline from Business Insider after Avatar's opening weekend. : r/boxoffice

Idk I said this earlier in the thread but people keep linking this back to Avatar and Titanic and well...the world's different now. Legs are different. This could end up as a TGM with an insane 5x multiplier but it's just a lot harder in this day and age, especially for a sequel. I wouldn't just cite Titanic and Avatar 1 as sure things for Way of Water.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yes, I was thinking of you and you taking a break after KotM, as well. 

Glad you're back, BTW. ❤️ 

• Like 3

Also for people citing the family audience, I think Puss in Boots will take that more honestly. Way of Water's not family unfriendly but there's stuff I can't discuss in here because of spoilers that might make it not the preferred choice for families.

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW, More Real Talk.

I have no idea if IronJimbo really is taking a break or not (intentionally not gonna tag him coz I hated it when I got tagged on... certain OWs).  If he is, it's possible due to international numbers and not the domestic.

But if he is, I truly hope he is taking time to relax, unplug, and ***stay the fuck away from the discussion here***.

Because I know better than many just how utterly.... I'll be nice and say "irksome" such discussions like this WE thread can be in situations like this.  Especially since the jury is still out when it comes to legs (has barely been more than 24 hours since the first showtimes got out on the East Coast you know).  While we have pretty strong indicators in other markets, they're still just that: Indicators.   

Mostly of course, I hope he is enjoying his movie and the fact that A3 is certain to happen and A4 is all-but-certain to (and if A4 is made, I'll also place a heavy bet on A5).   That is, after all, the important thing here.

Thank you for this post.

Speaking for myself only, while over the years I've placed a lot of interest in A2's box office performance, and there's reason for me to feel a little down this weekend.

Ultimately, what I want the most is to see Cameron's vision realized and see all five films get made with no compromises; even if their box office performance isn't as lofty as the goal we set all those years ago. Getting such a unique stand alone Pentalogy of films made with such passion and all have something to say is rewarding enough. And perhaps, with exchange rate improving a bit, strong WOM and China market becoming normal again, there could be reason to hope for an outstanding box office performance from A3. Also A2's box office story has only just started anyway.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's "character driven" in that: The Great Secret of the Success of the MCU is The General Audience Cares About the Characters.

IMO and others, at least.

Calling it "character driven" might be a misnomer, but I do think this is more true than not when it comes to why the MCU succeeded so much where other attempts failed.

That one hundred percent. What Marvel has done is made people care. They turned non believers into true believers. I hated the Avengers before the MCU. I hated them. My teams were X-Men and Titans, and with Justice League here and there. I still love the X-Men to death and even more so after the recent comic book run that might be the best the team has ever had, but I actually truly care about the Avengers and characters I never thought I would. It’s a good thing that with Gunn, we might be seeing that replicated in the DC Universe too, which made me care about fucking Bloodsport, Polka Dot Man and Peacemaker. For people to engage with a piece of media, they need to care about the characters more than the spectacle, and it doesn’t matter if you are the best director, the best there is at what you do, you still need people to care. That’s the MCU true formula.

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I’m not sure if I was that much active but I do remember that lol

Edited by Alligator Zatt
  • Like 2