The Wild Eric

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

i'm gonna pretend the True Lies slander itt didn't take place

Right. It's one of those rare movies that despite having problems is still an A+ experience. 
Jamie Lee's striptease > anything I saw in any movie this year. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FROM Entertainment Weekly in 1994 a select portion of an article entitled "Racism and sexism in ''True Lies''?"

There's a whole lot of YIKES in that article EVEN IN THE CONTEXT OF 1994 (and I ought to know, having been around then).

===

I mention this, not to spark a 10 page derailment (indeed I am hesitating hitting Submit Reply for that very reason) nor to throw Cameron under the bus or anything like that, but to show, mostly, that even in 1994 there was blowback against this section of the movie, even if it didn't sink the movie at the time.  

The blowback seems to have been very isolated, though, if that article is correct that women's groups weren't condemning the movie. They even quote a president of one of those groups defending the movie 🤢, and only quote one critic having a problem with it (tho I'm sure he wasn't alone). Thankfully things have improved a lot, True Lies would get far more criticism now, but we still have a long way to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, M37 said:

Here was TGM’s daily and OW estimate by Deadline report: 

Fri mid-day = $50M Fri/$117M 3-day 

Fri eve = $51M Fri

($52M actual)

Sat AM = $150M 4-day 

Sat PM = $37M Sat

($38M actual)

Sun AM = $151M 4-day/$32M Sun

($36.7 actual)

Mon AM = $156M 4-day ($28.4M Mon)

($160.5/$33.6M actuals)

Even adjusting to new information as weekend went along, estimates still kept falling short, because WOM effect had begun and was adding even more to each day 

Alternatively estimates kept falling short because deadline is a low-ball loving joke.

I agree numbers constantly beating ests is a good breakout indicator but preferably beating informed ests ;)

Just now, Ozymandias said:

i'm gonna pretend the True Lies slander itt didn't take place

Consider it tit-for-tat for the Ring of Powers slander

:insane:

Anyway.

I think it would be foolish to declare Avatar to DOA until at least the second weekend in January. I know we sound like a combination of still in the denial/bargaining stages Of the five stages of grief + a broken record, but:

three hour and 12 minute movie, combined with at least 7 to 30 minutes of trailers, combined with, however, long it takes you to get to the movie theater, is a very big commitment in December when people are having a holiday parties in trying to get their shopping finished. 

I asked my Facebook about our movie theater, and if anyone had seen avatar in the IMAX and how it looked on the screen. One of the responses I got back was not yet, we have tickets for the 23rd. We’re really just gonna have to wait to see how the Christmas schedule, a.k.a. Christmas Eve on Saturday and Christmas on Sunday combined with New Year’s Eve on Saturday and New Year’s on Sunday, affects the movie. And are the weekdays going to make up for whatever losses they find in the weekends. And then in January it’ll probably stabilize. So there’s really no reason to have any doom or gloom. It’s just we’re not getting our instant gratification  of a big opening weekend. 

anyway, that is my soapbox, and now I’m gonna go back to the sexism and racism, because I have OCD and cannot finish a movie that I’ve started.. 🙃

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Whilst I agree there’s a touch of masochism in True Lies you wouldn’t get if it were made today, the housewife wanting something more theme works really well in it. The joke is on Harry, who through his own insecurity discovers that he’s not pulling his weight and being there for his family as much as he should be. He might be blasè about it initially, but he goes through a bit of an awakening.  JLC’s character indirectly gets to tell him how she feels in their marriage.  So it’s not all as shaming as some make it out to be. 

Personally I found the depiction of the villains way more problematic.  Harry Tasker though, I think he’s a bit of a deconstruction of the action hero. Cameron has a ton of fun at his expense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think we need to really consider what DOA means.

Elvis is a good example

Spoiler

This is a joke about the "blockbuster" spat earlier -- I do not think Elvis is "DOA"

Edited by Korra Legion
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Seems like 42 if system works properly. Slightly underestimated afternoon pace. But let's see, today will be a good test run for this.

Whatever you have for eod right now I'll take the under -- I'm not sure about typical shift in HK chain ratio from Fri to sahowever

Edited by Korra Legion

40 minutes ago, Cap said:

• LMFAO. How have I see just this scene.
  • Gosh, I miss Bill Paxton. 
  • My god. I totally see why Cameron felt the need to apologize for his toxic masculinity of the past. He needs to. Yup.
  • And why he refuses to let his out of its 720p / no Digital Rental hell. I wouldn’t let people watch it either. 
  • Dude; she said no
  • This is so unpleasant. Definitely should have stopped at the horse chase.
  • What the fuck is this shit?
  • This better end in DIVORCE.
  • I feel so justified in Bestie and my decision to base Steve’s dead beat Dad on Cameron in our “Non-Superpower Modern Hollywood AU” No wonder Sarah Rogers is like “Fuck Off”
  • How is there an hour and a half leeeeffttttt
  • Same, Helen. That rage you feel is how I feel.
  • I doubt she will always love him after she finds out the TRUTH.
  • There are unlikable protagonists, and then there is Arnold in this. 

OKAY. We are BACK

• Okay, and she is back too.
  • You know, I can almost forgive the stripe-tease, but I draw the line as destroying historical artifacts. True evil.
  • AAAANND….

The universe is telling me to not finish this movie. My dad just walked in, and took over the television. So now we have a football game on. 😂😂😂

• Haha 5