Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

44 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I could be wrong but I don't think it was much of a consideration worldwide. This was kind of treated as a slam dunk to be the worldwide winner of 2022 given the perceived power of the Avatar brand internationally.

Ah, sorry. I was referring to domestic numbers. Although I think for worldwide, it's AVATAR: TWOW.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nero said:

I have watched 1-2 movies while sitting in 1st / 2nd row from screen. It's very hard to watch the movie imo. You have to look up a lot and can't see properly 

One thing I've heard recently from some moviegoers in my country is that: front row + 2D is terrible while front row + 3D is much more tolerable. I probably won't try it out myself but that's quite interesting.

Maybe the 3D effect somehow makes correction adjustment to the distorted angle (to certain degree)?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

wasnt orphan first kill a big success in some places? 

$37m worldwide.

Not so much a big success really as it did what the first one did in most markets, solid business everywhere - though it over performed in Mexico. 

But the anomaly with it wasn't really any of the foreign markets so much as the fact that the US release was a complete and utter horlicks.

Weird that there are three low to mid budget horror films that did DRASTICALLY different business in the US: Barbarian, Prey for the Devil and Orphan: First Kill that essentially did pretty much the same worldwide. What Orphan made a complete horlicks of in it's domestic release, Barbarian completely fumbled its international release with no prescience of its success in the US, while Prey like an old reliable possession film did okay everywhere.

183.000 tickets sold on the first 4 days here for Avatar. Just slightly below the 208.000 tickets sold by NWH one year ago. Easily the 2nd biggest OW of the pandemic era.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shanks said:

ATP is €6 vs. €7

Was there Portugal thread? Where you post the numbers generally?

No thread and I usually don't post numbers except something big in the normal weekend thread because of it being such a small market.

Besides the ATP, the audience was heavily looking for PLF and 3D shows. One theater close to where I live has the movie in 6 screens (4 2D, 1 3D, 1 4DX 3D) and the 3D and 4DX 3D ones were selling out way faster than the 2D options. Those tickets are way more expensive. NWH had no 3D.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1