Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Disney will be happy, $130m+ is still more than the first Avatar's OW and only the sixth film to break $100m+ OW in December especially when you consider four of the top five are Star War films and the top film is Spider-Man.

This.

Also, people are still doing holiday shopping and whatnot. The numbers during that Christmas Day through New Year's stretch will really paint a clearer picture.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

2022 opening weekends

01 | 187.4 M Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

02 | 181.3 M Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

03 | 145.1 M Jurassic World: Dominion

04 | 144.2 M Thor: Love and Thunder

05 | 134.0 M The Batman

06 | 126.7 M Top Gun: Maverick

07 | 107.0 M Minions: The Rise of Gru

08 | 072.1 M Sonic The Hedgehog II

09 | 067.0 M Black Adam

10 | 050.6 M Lightyear

• Like 1

Thu 12/25 - 17M

Fri 12/16 - 17M + 36M

Sat 12/17 - 43M

Sun 12/18 - 35M (131M) 

Mon 12/19 - 17M

Tue 12/20 - 17M

Wed 12/21 - 14M

Thu 12/22 - 15.5M

Fri 12/23 - 22M

Sat 12/24 - 14.5M

Sun 12/25 - 25M (61.5M 2nd WE, -53%) 

Mon 12/26 - 28.5M

The 12/27 - 21M

Wed 12/28 - 17.5M

Thu 12/29 - 17M

Fri 12/30 - 19M

Sat 12/31 - 15M

Sun 1/1 - 19M (53M 3rd WE, -14%) 

Mon 1/2 - 19M 

18- day domestic total - 412M. On its way to ~535M. (Updated projections)

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

From Deadline:

"Engine’s PostTrak reports that 41% of all moviegoers are buying tickets day of, meaning a lot of walk-up business."

Let's see how that translates in the coming weeks.

Does that seem kinda low to anyone else?

Id like to apologize for igniting the Marvel rankings earlier (though i only wanted to know what Zatts favourite MCU movie is) BUT id also like to not apologize because @Cap gave us all the mission for the 100+ pages weekend thread.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Id like to apologize for igniting the Marvel rankings earlier (though i only wanted to know what Zatts favourite MCU movie is) BUT id also like to not apologize because @Cap gave us all the mission for the 100+ pages weekend thread.

Ill Allow It GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

i know people are saying wait to see it's legs but it'll probably won't see them truly until the Tuesday after Christmas, since schools will still be open next week until Friday and christmas and eve will put a dent in it  

Yeah... Given it opened with the same calendar configuration and date in 2016, best to look back at Rogue One's run but with, I expect given SW movies being more frontloaded, slightly better overall legs. It did have very good weekdays 12/19 through 12/23 but its weekdays the following week of 12/26 through 12/30 were insanely good. Most had huge, huge increases over the previous week's weekdays.

I'd have to do the math but I would guess this is doing the exact same number of tickets as Avatar 1 would have sold opening weekend without the snowstorm on the east coast. The main obstacle since 13 years ago is that the MCU has trained audience's expectations for what an action sci-fi franchise script should be like. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

Does that seem kinda low to anyone else?

The fact so many people are buying tickets the day of goes to show that it's not frontloaded and that no one should expect it to be. Imagine a lot of people don't want to commit to a 192 minute movie (+ at least 20 minutes of previews with all the trailers released these past few weeks taking advantage of the real estate) unless they absolutely know they can (and thus don't purchase tickets until they know they have the time).

Edited by filmlover

35 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Update the sheet. 

The great work is complete

36 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

At this rate my diff from avg may rival Thanksgiving @XXR Tulkun Rider 😳

Looks like a whiff, barely +15.

Gotta say I don’t love how avatar was approximately the least important film this weekend and the two movie making zilch the most