Eric S'ennui

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

Also, I would like to add Shazam 2 would have been great counterprogramming. Actually they should re-release Top Gun 2 , it would cash in some extra 30m more. 

PIB 2 now has the chance of being a breakout hit

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly, i feel we probably would be getting some signs if A2 is about to turn into a super leggy run. 

So far, just very standard. The runtime is obviously a question and the movie should benefit a lot of next week because of that, which is why i still bet the multiplier will be over 4x. 

But anything beyond that is looking like a wishful thinking atp. It should end with a $ 550M which is still a very good gross, even if under predictions and reason for a lot of clickbaits. 

Overseas otherwise is looking super healthy, maybe it can compensate some frustration about US performance.

feel like some signs of pretty good legs are starting to pop up in some OS markets, but so far almost nothing in dom

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Reacting to what is trending about the film is being negative towards the film now? This was posted today. The Cameron interview was trending at r/movies. And no, I don’t hate Cameron. This clearly isn’t a good look tho. But yes… meltdowns.

:Venom:

When almost all that you post about what's "trending" is somewhat negative or questionable, yes, it shows what interests you have about this topic. 

And what meltdowns? I'm arguably one of the most peaceful guys right here, i didn't have problems with literally nobody about this movie quality or performance wise. And tbh, i'm very reasonable about the numbers so far lol.

Saying what your posts looks like to me is not a meltdown, is an observation.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly, i feel we probably would be getting some signs if A2 is about to turn into a super leggy run. 

So far, just very standard. The runtime is obviously a question and the movie should benefit a lot of next week because of that, which is why i still bet the multiplier will be over 4x. 

I'm waiting for this upcoming holiday weekend to end, but I agree I don't think this Monday number points to really exceptional legs. Gotta agree with you here.

• Like 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

The only thing I would change about ROTK (film) is how OP it made the ghost army. Other than that, it's the adaptation every franchise dreams of. Absolutely perfect film.

Also my only complaint. So OP that it almost cheapens the battle that came before it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

The only thing I would change about ROTK (film) is how OP it made the ghost army. Other than that, it's the adaptation every franchise dreams of. Absolutely perfect film.

from a movie only perspective, you just think what a shame it is they didn't use the ghost army to clean out mordor in a couple hours

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

Man if this is how people react to a mediocre Monday I wonder how this place will react when secret wars opens lower than endgame

I think after how Phase 4 is doing , every single box office watcher already knows that Kang Dynasty will open low

BUT ( and a big but at that) , if Kang Dynasty is like Infinity War and people connect with it , Secret Wars will demolish every record otherwise it will just do fine 

Just now, IronJimbo said:

from a movie only perspective, you just think what a shame it is they didn't use the ghost army to clean out mordor in a couple hours

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

Also my only complaint. So OP that it almost cheapens the battle that came before it. 

Yeah - I understand why it did and it is really cool in the moment, but it just feels a bit cheap afterwards. But that is really the only thing I could complain of. I have watched this film so many times over the years and yet I never get tired of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

When almost all that you post about what's "trending" is somewhat negative or questionable, yes, it shows what interests you regard about this topic. 

And what meltdowns? I'm arguably one of the most peaceful guys right here, i didn't have problems with literally nobody about this movie quality of performance wise. And tbh, i'm very reasonable about the numbers so far lol.

Saying what your posts looks like to me is not a meltdown, is an observation.

I’ve been around in and out of this message boards for 10 years. I’ve started with The Avengers, and before that was at the now dead BOM boards. It isn’t personal, this is a fun box office run to follow, and trust me I’ve been frustrated with box office results before. I don’t have skin in this game but I would be lying if I didn’t say it that the beginning of A2’s box office run has been hilarious to follow. Commenting about a film and what is trending about it is what we do here. I didn’t mean that as a personal attack. Sorry if you and others felt that way. 

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I can understand that but every ending is important to close all the storylines and its great!

21 minutes ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

See I don't understand that argument either. They clearly denote that this isn't the end and no ending except the true one works thematically. They do well setting up there's still more to wrap up.

20 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

ROTK had only one ending. I never understood the idea that it takes too long to end. 

10 minutes ago, cookie said:

I watched RotK extended edition a year or so back and the epilogue breezed by for me. There isn’t a scene wasted in that sequence.

Alright, I'll say my piece, and agree to disagree: I get it, was years long passion project, and after ~9 hours of story, there's a lot of loose ends to tie up, and you can argue each individual scene was worthy of inclusion. But if you know there's going to be several epilogue scenes after the climax ... maybe not drag each one of them out? (Nowadays, at least 1 would be saved for a post-credit scene anyway). It just felt like too much

And again, my memory here may be clouded by the large drink I was was feeling/regretting at about the 2 hour mark :wacko:

20 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I mean...is it? I have had very little interest in the movie or its run, but the international opening seemed good, but not what was expected. So even with the clear schedule ahead, is 1.4 billion OS actually doable? It sorta seems like "great, but not what you expect as the follow-up to the movie that has grossed almost 3 billion WW" has been the refrain throughout, not just domestically.

Anyway, we're probably looking at one amazing record - first sequel to drop a billion from its immediate predecessor. That'll be nice.

Avatar was an anomaly and Avatar 2 will behave like a normal movie or a normal sequel. 

And yes, Overseas will end up over billion for sure, maybe not 1.4, but 1.1-1.2 range. Although a full strength China would've ensured that movie outgross Top Gun Maverick just by overseas.

USA run is a disappointment, considering it dropped further on Tuesday, whereas i was told movies jump on Tuesday. 

Just now, JustLurking said:

Yeah - I understand why it did and it is really cool in the moment, but it just feels a bit cheap afterwards. But that is really the only thing I could complain of. I have watched this film so many times over the years and yet I never get tired of it.

Same here. I just sort of glaze my eyes over for the Army of the Dead & re-engage when we get to the Houses of Healing (extended edition is the only way).

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Avatar was an anomaly and Avatar 2 will behave like a normal movie or a normal sequel. 

And yes, Overseas will end up over billion for sure, maybe not 1.4, but 1.1-1.2 range. Although a full strength China would've ensured that movie outgross Top Gun Maverick just by overseas.

USA run is a disappointment, considering it dropped further on Tuesday, whereas i was told movies jump on Tuesday. 

Do we have a Tuesday estimate already?

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Wait when did we get tuesday, did I miss it?

2 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Same here. I just sort of glaze my eyes over for the Army of the Dead & re-engage when we get to the Houses of Healing (extended edition is the only way).

I still like the scene overall so I watch it, it's just a step below the rest of the film which is just absolutely amazing.

1 hour ago, LinksterAC said:

Binging is an excellent counterpoint to the argument of short attention spans. Good thing for us to keep logged in our mental files, I think.

People can pause things at home.  Also fast forward through parts that are boring them.

People just consume media differently in binge mode than in-a-theater-for-3.5-hours mode.

Honestly, I've always felt that the "well people binge, so what's the big deal" comments were... Well lots of words/phrases could be used but I'll settle on "not really applicable".

• Like 2