Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why am I not surprised the same folks who don't see how day-and-date is a positive for consumers are now surprised this weekends numbers are even worse than predicted, even factoring in the storm, which isn't even affecting most major movie cities.

Saying day and date releases isn't sustainable is not the same of misunderstanding why is more accessible. 

In fact we all know the reason admissions keep dropping year after year is the moviegoing becoming increasingly elitist. 

Still putting expensive movies at home and losing tickets is not sustainable, movie needs profits, Netflix struggle these past months should be enough to see that.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Babylon. Critics are weird. They'll give 96 on RT to a Marvel movie that is 2.5 hours of bad CG, loud noise, and endless battles to save the world with no characters you care about, but shit on an admittedly flawed but thoroughly entertaining movie like this. 

Anywho, no Sat #s? :(

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why am I not surprised the same folks who don't see how day-and-date is a positive for consumers are now surprised this weekends numbers are even worse than predicted, even factoring in the storm, which isn't even affecting most major movie cities.

Ummm. Where are people being surprised exactly?

Someone can think something is bad AND not be surprised by it at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I enjoyed Babylon. Critics are weird. They'll give 96 on RT to a Marvel movie that is 2.5 hours of bad CG, loud noise, and endless battles to save the world with no characters you care about, but shit on an admittedly flawed but thoroughly entertaining movie like this. 

No critics are just finally admitting how overrated Damien Chazelle is. They gave his other movies ungodly high ratings so if anything there was a bias that was helping him. 

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

Admissions are important, especially comparing overall trends like we can see how different it was during Gone With the Winds time so I care about it. 

However, personally I care about gross way more. If I am producer and I had to choose between 

Movie A grossing 1,000 with 20 50 dollar tickets sold

Movie B grossing 500 with 100 5 dollar tickets sold

I am happier with movie A anyday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No critics are just finally admitting how overrated Damien Chazelle is. They gave his other movies ungodly high ratings so if anything there was a bias that was helping him. 

Whiplash is a great film. One of the 10 best of the last 10 years (IMO).  La La Land I did not care for. First Man was decent. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Man it is almost like that is not how most people experience either of these examples :jeb!:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jonan23 said:

Admissions are important, especially comparing overall trends like we can see how different it was during Gone With the Winds time so I care about it. 

However, personally I care about gross way more. If I am producer and I had to choose between 

What this elides is that Movie A is implicitly coming out in a time period where $1000 is worth much less than $500 was in the time period that Movie B came out. The producers behind Movie B are going to be much happier.

Edited by Legion in Boots
  • Like 2

I saw Babylon this evening and apart from the first scenes on the movie set and the final few minutes, the movie is awful. Despite being roughly the same length as A2, the film felt like it was four hours long whereas A2 felt like it was two hours.. At least two storylines needed to be cut in their entirety. There were two scenes early in the film that were so disgusting and added absolutely nothing to the narrative that someone at the studio should have dragged Chazelle to the editing room to make sure they were cut. Then there was the unmitigated disaster that was all of the Tobey stuff. The premise of the film could have resulted in a good movie but the final product here is definitely not that. Avoid this trainwreck if you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Saying day and date releases isn't sustainable is not the same of misunderstanding why is more accessible. 

No, I'm talking specifically about the people saying day-and-date isn't pro-consumer. Someone was arguing that, and that's what I was speaking to. Sustainability is another topic entirely.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

What this elides is that Movie A is implicitly coming out in a time period where $1000 is worth much less than $500 was in the time period that Movie B came out. The producers behind Movie B are going to be much happier.

Good point. Honestly I wasn't thinking of movies from different time periods when I wrote that as I was thinking of National Cinema day with all tickets being a dollar. 

Another thing though why I prefer gross. With admissions the records of classic movies will never be broken. But with gross you are always dreaming of the next biggest opening ever. You wonder when another all time grosser will appear. It's more exciting and fun haha 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jonan23 said:

16 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

In fact we can make this much more concrete. Current atp is ~11, so to replicate the 10x atp ratio we should go back to 1966, when atp was just $1.1.  

Some top movies of 1966 were:

The Bible 35M

Hawaii 34.5M

Who’s afraid of Virginia wolf? 34M

The Sand Pebbles 30M

A man for all seasons 28M  

All vastly bigger performances than stuff like Morbius, Halloween Ends, Dog, or Jackass forever in the 70-55M (2x) nominal zone (though ironically several of those supposedly lost money thanks to over budgeting — a concern in any era).

8 minutes ago, Jonan23 said:

Good point. Honestly I wasn't thinking of movies from different time periods when I wrote that as I was thinking of National Cinema day with all tickets being a dollar. 

Another thing though why I prefer gross. With admissions the records of classic movies will never be broken. But with gross you are always dreaming of the next biggest opening ever. You wonder when another all time grosser will appear. It's more exciting and fun haha 

Yeah I mean gross is certainly better for “big number fun.” I pay attention to both (😁) just saying that it’s hard to see nominal as a more meaningful comparison for how well a movie did across eras

Edited by Legion in Boots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

seeing tomorrow  , i doubt any movie is over performing tonight that is worth reporting , expect numbers early tomorrow along with spin about how everything is fine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

I checked last year and Deadline had updates on Fri morning (24th), Sat morning (25th), and Sun morning (26th).

So expect an update sometime tomorrow in the AM and then not another one until Monday.  It's the holidays for Deadline workers as well, after all.  So it's not surprising at all if they update only once a day this weekend.

• Like 4