charlie Jatinder

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread || Avatar $20.1M THU - Top 10 DOM or Bust!

27 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Or you could say it’s based on getting worse reception on metrics which reliably correlate to legs (cinemascore, verified, etc)?

Ah there it is... that's what I expected the reply to be initially.

Sure that is one data point you can look at, but obviously it doesn't always tell the whole story. The first Avatar had far far better legs than almost all movies that scored the same or better with these metrics. 

Bottom line is we don't know yet. I just have a problem with throwing out there so nonchalantly that Avatar 2 will have less rewatchability  than TGM or NWH. We just don't know yet and you cannot simply ignore Cameron's track record on that element

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Or you could say it’s based on getting worse reception on metrics which reliably correlate to legs (cinemascore, verified, etc)?

I meeeeean...yes all these metrics give indications but they aren't perfect either. Avatar1 itself did not get A+.

25 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Titanic was over 3 hours long and it's certainly one of the most rewatched movie in a theater. Same as the first Avatar with little less than 3 hours. Length is only one of many factors that would influence on the decision to rewatch a movie.

We're in a FAR different market than when either of those films had their runs, as there is much more content available and people's attention spans have gotten shorter. And I also included PLF pricing as another limiting factor. To repeat

1 hour ago, M37 said:

There is really nothing in the trajectory of this movie - only the previous ones from this director - that suggests some -10% weekly run is imminent 

28 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Your assertion that Avatar 2 would be less rewatchable than NWH or TGM is based on nothing but air

Believe what you want, but I'm not pulling these thoughts of out "nothing but air". How much a film makes is not a reflection of its quality, nor should dampen your or anyone else's enjoyment of them. But if we're discussing the financial prospects of a particular entry in the current market, then running time, pricing, and "fun" are limiting factors, particularly with rewatches

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

This isn't the case in A2 at all, neytiri fans were upset she was put in the backseat for this one

Yup. I was so about it @ them be like “wtf you talkin’ about”. 

24 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Since we need some pages… 

Who is ACTUALLY the best father of all time (in movies (or tv (or both)))

Honestly!?

image.gif

That moment when Giselle stays the night the first time, and he insists Morgan sleep in his room. 🥺 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saltypistol said:

Talkin smack about the GOAT Jake Sully then whips out motherfuckin Homer for best dad? lmao okay

He's aware of his faults, but is willing to sacrifice his own interests for his wife and kids, he tries and fails but doesn't stop trying. Then Jerkass Homer happens and my argument completely falls apart. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Best father in a movie - obviously Mufasa.

Man Cat was a monarchist, terrible person animal.

Spoiler

I totally agree. Mufasa also has the saddest dad death scene in fiction for me.

• Like 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

He's aware of his faults, but is willing to sacrifice his own interests for his wife and kids, he tries and fails but doesn't stop trying. Then Jerkass Homer happens and my argument completely falls apart. 

Where is Jake Sully's hour long child abuse compilation lol 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Since we need some pages… 

Who is ACTUALLY the best father of all time (in movies (or tv (or both)))

Rick Mitchell (Mitchell vs Machines)

Mufasa (Lion King)

Professor Untonium ( PowerPuff Girls)

• Like 1

Will Smith from Pursuit of Happiness 

As for Jake Sully I found him more interesting as a character in the sequel compared to the first. I agree he makes some bad parenting decisions but I always felt he was genuinely doing what he thought was best and even had some doubts himself and was just trying to do the best he could. I think he benefited as well from having the spotlight moved to his kids. 

• Like 1