charlie Jatinder

Weekdays (03-05 Jan, 2023) Thread. | Talk about the New York Giants in here!

3 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Sure. NWH did 8.3x Thursday during its 4th WE. We will see how it goes. I don't think it's going to have the +100% Friday or +75% Saturday needed for 8x but I've been wrong before

:facepalm:

The orig film did jump 118% on Friday. I'd def take 100% if offered!.

• Like 1

Let's hope estimates/actuals later in the night get it to $7m for Wednesday at least, but still not a rough number, just disappointing after an inflated Tuesday. Anything better than $35m this weekend is a win in my book.

Edited by Dragoncaine

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

Let's hope estimates/actuals later in the night get it to $7m for Wednesday at least, but still not a rough number, just disappointing after an inflated Tuesday. Anything better than $35m this weekend is a win in my book.

over 7m would be higher wednesday than Avatar, Top Gun Maverick and No Way Home

42 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Discount Tuesday wasn't a thing back then, so yesterday was inflated. A2 with no discounts probably does 10% lower Tuesday. 

It very much was a thing in 2017 fwiw - the following (normal) Tue was +46% from Mon for the top 10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dignam said:

Yeahh 2nd viewing was much more intense. 1st viewing was so overwhelming that you missed alot. 

My 3rd viewing finally put it above the first movie. Cuz it has so much emotions and it dives deeper into pandora. Still the first one has a special place in my heart.

I also found my first viewing in IMAX pretty overwhelming because of the HFR. Saw it for a second time in 2D at a constant 24fps and that helped me. Then seeing it a third time in Dolby 3D with HFR really brought it all together for me. I've liked it more every time I've seen it. 

• Like 1

A2 is really benefiting from moviegoers rejecting absolutely everything else. A1 was competing with Alvin & The Chipmunks 2 and Sherlock Holmes, each of which did 200m+. The Blind Side made over 100m after Avatar was released. It's Complicated did 100m+. There was Oscar bait that people actually watched (Up in the Air). 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Will be interesting to see the trend tomorrow if everything else has a large drop as well. Kind of annoying with PIB being the only other film making real money atm it skews comparisons.

You calling Puss in Boots annoying? I will hunt you down Shinji

52 minutes ago, Flopped said:

A2 is really benefiting from moviegoers rejecting absolutely everything else. A1 was competing with Alvin & The Chipmunks 2 and Sherlock Holmes, each of which did 200m+. The Blind Side made over 100m after Avatar was released. It's Complicated did 100m+. There was Oscar bait that people actually watched (Up in the Air). 

Remember when lots of different genres and movies could make lots of money at the same time? The good old days of 2009/2010. Simpler days. Simpler times. Life was easier.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Friday really is the wildcard over the next 5 days (including today). Wed/Thur and Sat/Sun are relatively predictable (within a % change range), but really not sure whether we see a +50/60% or so Fri bump like in 2017, or something closer to  +90/100%+ like this Friday last year 

The current weekly trajectory and that Canada theaters were closed this time last year makes me lean towards former fwiw 

• Like 3

Obviously the numbers themselves are impressive but they're more of a function of calender than anything else. For instance, Avatwo had the worst hold (percentage wise) for any film in the top 10. Meanwhile the original registered the best hold in its top 10 by quite some margin. It was obvious by then that it was gonna have the best hold for 4th weekend. The same cannot be said for the sequel. Now, one could assume the longer runtime hurting the late weekday showtimes and be right, but I'd keep the weekend expectations in check (simply because all other films had better drops).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I saw the Mario trailer twice in IMAX 3D and it looks really nice in it.

They actually put effort into making the 3D look good, much respect.

Good 3D on animation is easier to be done than live-action because the 2nd camera angle can be rendered virtually. Unlike live-action when something shot in 2D then being digitally morphed to create 3D depth in post.