CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A Man Called Otto actually had a pretty solid expansion too, think this one's gonna do well when it goes wide next weekend. The adult movie isn't (completely) dead yet!

like others have said, maybe adults who hadn’t been in a while had such a good time with Avatar that they’re now entertaining going to the movies more often than they have been. 

It’s why we need a constant cycle of new movies from the studios.  

1 minute ago, M37 said:

... Besides Titanic?

But in the modern age (last 15 years), its really an unprecedented run that doesn't get enough attention because it didn't break any records along the way

It's an incredible run regardless, but it does have to be caveated somewhat by the movie's Wednesday opening and the fact that Christmas Eve fell on its first Sunday, both of which would have significantly dampened its opening weekend. Its 5-day opening was $13.4m, so with a Friday opening on a normal weekend with no Christmas Eve on the Sunday, it could probably have hit $12-$13m rather than the $8.8m 3-day that it actually managed after significant burn-off on the previous 2 days.

A lot of the insane stats that you can derive from comparing Showman's opening weekend to other parts of the run, like its near-20x multiplier and its fourth, fifth and sixth weekends being higher than its first, are largely attributable to these opening weekend dampeners. It'd still have some incredible stats regardless, but they wouldn't be quite as amazing as they appear on the face of it now.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, M37 said:

Funny you should ask ...

Now I fully expect these two titles to diverge on Saturday, as Passengers looks to have been hit especially hard by NFL Playoffs (and possibly Hidden Figures), and Avatwo won't be.  But worth noting that the only titles to get better than +50% on this Sat in 2017 were Sing (+75), Moana (+70) and Rogue One (+57). Again, I think the NFL playoff factor - or more accurately, lack of them - will push those Saturday jump higher overall (followed by bigger Sunday drops), but in the COVID* last year the non-animated films were in the +55-65 range, except for NWH at +79.  (would also presume this is a big travel day for people returning to normal routine, which may cut into potential)

I don't care what's happening in the weekend, Avatar will outperform Passengers every single time in the weekend relative to the weekdays because of its longer running time and because it targets the family demographic

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

like others have said, maybe adults who hadn’t been in a while had such a good time with Avatar that they’re now entertaining going to the movies more often than they have been. 

It’s why we need a constant cycle of new movies from the studios.  

Maybe, but A Man Called Otto also has Tom Hanks (one of the few people who unquestionably remain a beloved A-lister in 2023) in a role that's perfectly in his wheelhouse. Also helps the movie has a plot that can be elevator pitched to audiences (grumpy old man learns to enjoy life again), something that wasn't true of Babylon or the majority of the fourth quarter's other adult-driven underperformers.

The Whale is also looking locked for a $10M+ total despite having no real buzz for it beyond Fraser's comeback performance. So star power isn't entirely dead yet either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Only 27 days until we get Puss in Boots: TLW in the U.K.  

20 days until we get The Fabelmans

13 days until we get Babylon

6 days until we get Tár

FML

Those 4 films are so last year, just see M3gan four times instead. 

Dance Doll GIF by M3GAN

Only kidding. I’m in the UK too and it’s hard to muster up any sort of excitement for them. I think out of those 4 the only one I’ll go to see is Tar. 

Edited by Krissykins

A2 dropping only 35-37%, maybe we finally can say the movie indeed have amazing WOM 

I remember those early days when i said the reception was great enough for a leggy run and someone tried to convince me how it was just average 

Very fun run, pretty much a rollercoaster, i loved it 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, hw64 said:

It's an incredible run regardless, but it does have to be caveated somewhat by the movie's Wednesday opening and the fact that Christmas Eve fell on its first Sunday, both of which would have significantly dampened its opening weekend. Its 5-day opening was $13.4m, so with a Friday opening on a normal weekend with no Christmas Eve on the Sunday, it could probably have hit $12-$13m rather than the $8.8m 3-day that it actually managed after significant burn-off on the previous 2 days.

A lot of the insane stats that you can derive from comparing Showman's opening weekend to other parts of the run, like its near-20x multiplier and its fourth, fifth and sixth weekends being higher than its first, are largely attributable to these opening weekend dampeners. It'd still have some incredible stats regardless, but they wouldn't be quite as amazing as they appear on the face of it now.

Forget the opening weekend, it legged out on par with than Avatar when using the 2nd or 3rd week as the baseline, and from a much lower grossing level where retaining volume is more difficult 

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

That would be a 75,4% jump on Sat. Highly, highly unlikely.

What Sat jump are we looking at realistically? 40%? That would put Sat at $16m.

A 50% bump would put it at 17.1m and it would need an 11.5m Sun to get to 40m. Achievable?