filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

28 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I find it kinda odd that Triangle got Picture, Director, and Original Screenplay but couldn't get a coattail nomination for DeLeon after all the various precursors she got some heat with

The power of social media

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

The power of social media

When I first noticed this I was a bit irritated by it because it was so blatant and cringeworthy, but good for her, she’s just proved what a waste of time and money it is mounting a studio backed awards campaign when copypasta on Twitter works just as well.

Edited by SnokesLegs

Love Andrea Riseborough but I want her to go all the way and win without even seeing her movie just for the insanity of it all. The fact she pulled off the nomination already makes this one for the books.

You just know Jennifer Aniston is wondering how this worked while her similar campaign for Cake flopped right now.

i actually watched To Leslie last night. it's pretty boring, she's pretty good. it's a generic dealing with addiction indie drama I don't even think it's one of her best performances, but still happy she got the nod because she has been a fav of mine for a while.

9 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

When I first noticed this I was a bit irritated by it because it was so blatant and cringeworthy, but good for her, she’s just proved what a waste of time and money it is mounting a studio backed awards campaign when copypasta on Twitter works just as well.

Next year, everyone will try this, which will dilute the effectiveness. Also, this sort of strategy favors actors with connections/powerful agencies over newbies or people not in The Club.

With the AMPAS diversity efforts in recent years, this result is not a good look. Did you see Goop and Courteney Cox trying to copy/paste a nom for Tang Wei, or Kate Winslet hosting screenings for Nicole Beharie a couple years back? We all know who's going to benefit the most from these sorts of "grassroots" and "organic" awards campaigns.

I wonder if the Academy will say anything or change the nominating process to blunt these sorts of efforts  for next year. Positive comments about performances on social media, that's happened before, but this was something else. Frances Fisher especially took it too far IMO. She was literally posting on Instagram that Danielle and Viola (among others) were already locked for the nomination so this is how many first place votes Riseborough needed to get in. There's a difference between, "Andrea was great, remember her when you vote!" and openly saying, "Andrea was great, these are her competitors that you don't have to worry about voting for, here's the specific way you should vote instead." It's openly political in a way that AMPAS probably doesn't like; they have discouraged campaigning that mentions the competition before.

The nominating process uses preferential rankings in the major categories, getting rid of that could combat some of the backdoor strategizing. At the win stage it's different, in most categories you just vote for one winner,. though Picture is still ranked choice

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Next year, everyone will try this, which will dilute the effectiveness. Also, this sort of strategy favors actors with connections/powerful agencies over newbies or people not in The Club.

With the AMPAS diversity efforts in recent years, this result is not a good look. Did you see Goop and Courteney Cox trying to copy/paste a nom for Tang Wei, or Kate Winslet hosting screenings for Nicole Beharie a couple years back? We all know who's going to benefit the most from these sorts of "grassroots" and "organic" awards campaigns.

I wonder if the Academy will say anything or change the nominating process to blunt these sorts of efforts  for next year. Positive comments about performances on social media, that's happened before, but this was something else. Frances Fisher especially took it too far IMO. She was literally posting on Instagram that Danielle and Viola (among others) were already locked for the nomination so this is how many first place votes Riseborough needed to get in. There's a difference between, "Andrea was great, remember her when you vote!" and openly saying, "Andrea was great, these are her competitors that you don't have to worry about voting for, here's the specific way you should vote instead." It's openly political in a way that AMPAS probably doesn't like; they have discouraged campaigning that mentions the competition before.

The nominating process uses preferential rankings in the major categories, getting rid of that could combat some of the backdoor strategizing. At the win stage it's different, in most categories you just vote for one winner,. though Picture is still ranked choice

Who would've thought Frances Fisher, of all people, would end up being the true winner of this awards season lmao.

I think the noms this year were pretty solid compared to lately. but I haven't seen them all. 

I personally thought Naomi Ackie In I wanna Dance with Somebody and Diego Calva in Babylon were fantastic. but they were never really in serious talks for the awards. Also were young and newbies...

Speaking of young and newbies, it feels like the new generation of 20-something actors are kind of slaying right now when forever it seemed like it was the only 20-something actresses being embraced by the Academy. 90s babies Dev Patel, Lucas Hedges, Timothee Chalamet, LaKeith Stanfield, Kodi Smit-McPhee, and Paul Mescal all nominated before turning 30 (add in fellow 90s babies Austin Butler, 31, and Barry Keoghan, 30, and it's even more impressive). Hard to tell if for the longest time either the talent wasn't there or if the roles for that demo just weren't there to begin with. Probably both.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

Who would've thought Frances Fisher, of all people, would end up being the true winner of this awards season lmao.

Riseborough better thank her if she wins lol, girlfriend posted the math and everything.

It would be funny Frances Fisher's antics leads to Oscar voting rule changes to make another To Leslie stunt harder to pull off. They can have a BAFTA-esque jury system or let some members from other branches vote at the nomination stage, except...the non-branch members are selected at random, only knowing when they go to their ballots. That way, campaigning within the Acting, Music, Directing, etc. branch would only help so much in making the final cut. You'd probably get less Diane Warren name check nominations and maybe actors-turned-directors would have a chance again (without having to be gray-haired/seasoned first).

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Speaking of young and newbies, it feels like the new generation of 20-something actors are kind of slaying right now when forever it seemed like it was the only 20-something actresses being embraced by the Academy. 90s babies Dev Patel, Lucas Hedges, Timothee Chalamet, LaKeith Stanfield, Kodi Smit-McPhee, and Paul Mescal all nominated before turning 30 (add in fellow 90s babies Austin Butler, 31, and Barry Keoghan, 30, and it's even more impressive). Hard to tell if for the longest time either the talent wasn't there or if the roles for that demo just weren't there to begin with. Probably both.

It's pretty normal for men to get nominated for Oscars later in their careers than women, Adrien Brody is the youngest Best Actor winner ever at 29 and the tenth youngest Best Actress winner is 26. The Supporting categories give more room to younger performers but the list of youngest nominees ever skews younger for Supporting Actress vs Supporting Actor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_and_youngest_Academy_Award_winners_and_nominees

The Oscar nomination this year also follow last year's pattern, where I don't really feel like the members were just watching 10 films and nominate them in every categories. 

But I do hope they can try to avoid nominate two actor or actress from the same film in the supporting category. That look lazy to me and They have been doing that since 90th Oscar.

90th : Three billboard

91st: The Favourite

92nd : The Irishman

93rd: Judas and the Black Messiah

94th: The power of the dog

95th: Banshess and EEAO

Edited by titanic2187

On 1/24/2023 at 10:10 AM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like clockwork. The Disney Animation brand is like catnip for the Academy voters. Spider-Verse got lucky both Incredibles 2 and Ralph 2 were polarizing. Turning Red is universally loved, so it'll unfortunately get the automatic win. It is what it is.

IDK I think Pinocchio really does have a strong chance.

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

You'd probably get less Diane Warren name check nominations

Funnily enough, I just listened to the song.

What in the "Alone Yet Not Alone" nonsense is this lmaaaooooo. That song she's done for 80 for Brady is awful too despite all the legends singing it. I was hoping that after they gave her an honorary Oscar we would be done with her catapulting these lame songs from movies that barely have a Wikipedia page (no, seriously - just look at it lololol: Tell It Like a Woman - Wikipedia) into becoming Oscar-nominated films but yet here we are still. 

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Funnily enough, I just listened to the song.

What in the "Alone Yet Not Alone" nonsense is this lmaaaooooo. That song she's done for 80 for Brady is awful too despite all the legends singing it. I was hoping that after they gave her an honorary Oscar we would be done with her catapulting these lame songs from movies that barely have a Wikipedia page (no, seriously - just look at it lololol: Tell It Like a Woman - Wikipedia) into becoming Oscar-nominated films but yet here we are still. 

I'm really wondering if this can get disqualified like that song lol. When the hell was the one week qualifying run?