kayumanggi

THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE | 04.19.2024 | Lionsgate

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I could see this doing Man From UNCLE numbers which, in the current box office climate, is a pretty nice win.

If the budget is fairly modest then yeah that would be. I think it can go higher though. Not 100 million but 60-80 seems possible if the movie is good. 

• Like 1

I just saw that this is yet another Guy Ritchie movie that's being released Dom in theaters, but on Amazon Prime in most key international locations including the UK. This would make BANK there. I get that they probably get a good deal, and offset a lot of the production costs doing this... but I really don't understand these decisions, especially for a Guy Ritchie movie. International is what made the Gentlemen a pretty big hit. It's also just gonna make this look like an even bigger flop on paper. No one is gonna  consider the fact that its international rights probably got bought out for a big chunk of change

• Like 2

Shtick is old. We've seen 20 variations of this same movie since 2014. Doesn't seem clever, funny or thrilling enough to move the needle. Nothing shown so far feels like a hit. I reckon less than Man From UNCLE. I hope the cast and crew enjoy being in the top 10 on Netflix three years from now, because that's the closest this probably gets to success. 

• Like 3

This and Argylle are pretty different movies, and yet I have the feeling they might just end up with similar numbers.

I think they're both movies I'll have a lot of fun with (and might even end up as some of my personal favorites of the year) but, as has been said above, they probably seem a bit too similar to much of what came before from the same directors, or adjacent ones.

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

This and Argylle are pretty different movies, and yet I have the feeling they might just end up with similar numbers.

I think they're both movies I'll have a lot of fun with (and might even end up as some of my personal favorites of the year) but, as has been said above, they probably seem a bit too similar to much of what came before from the same directors, or adjacent ones.

I think this will surprise and get much better reviews than Argyle. Could be wrong.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 3:42 PM, emoviefan said:

I think this will surprise and get much better reviews than Argyle. Could be wrong.  

Getting better reviews than Argylle doesn't seem that difficult, to be honest. 

It'll probably match Argylle's domestic gross too, but given it probably cost a lot less that won't really be disastrous for it. I imagine the money Prime Video paid for taking most of the international rights might also push it into break-even territory too.

I had to laught at the repeated "Based On a True Sotry" statement flashed on the screen several times in the trailer is saw before DUne 2.

I know somethign about WW2, and this has little releation with the actual coommando/underground operations in World War 2.

It's sad. I think the guy who made those great crime films in the 90's could have made a good gritty film about the topic instead of this nonsense. But he guy who directed "Aladdin" showed up.

As I said in the tracking thread earlier it's impossible to imagine this being anything but a colossal sub-$20M total flop. Honestly looks like something that would've tanked hard even a decade ago tbh.

• Like 1