GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

24 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I don’t think full mcu can crash and burn unless saga 3 bad.    

Saga 2 is probably teetering on the edge though

Saga 3 will be same as Saga 2. In Saga 3 we will get sequels of Thor4, DS2, BP2, AM3, TheMarvels etc lol

53 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah that sample did overindex a lot. It is more like $25.5M.

Wow, for once an accurate holiday estimate from Disney. And that seems like a pretty harsh Sunday drop for a holiday weekend. I wonder if sub-par word of mouth is already affecting it.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

We ain´t going to get more Ant-Man movies. The trilogy is done. No need to make more.

Yeah, just like the Thor and CA trilogies were done.

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Saga 3 will be X-men focused.

This is just your assumption

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I expect we will get a sequel to Quantumania someday (though guessing it would move closer back to AM/AM&tW in tone and scope).

Lot of the saga 2 films with issues are sequels to good saga 1 films. There’s no reason that DS3, Thor5, AM&tW3 etc etc couldn’t be awesome with good scripts.

• Like 1

Just now, Willowra said:

Yeah just like Thor and CA trilogy was done.

This is just your assumption

Cap trilogy is done. This next movie is literally about someone else. It´s a pretty big difference. Thor 4 was made due to Ragnarok being so successful. Ant-Man 3 ain´t even close to be in any of those situations.  All of these movies you mentioned getting a sequel is also just your assumption. As for X-Men in saga 3 Kevin himself implied this. It´s also the most logical place to go if you aren´t introducing them in this saga. Just so it´s not any confusion I´m talking about the MCU main universe take on the X-Men not variants like we see in MoM of characters from the Fox movies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Cap trilogy is done. This next movie is literally about someone else. It´s a pretty big difference. Thor 4 was made due to Ragnarok being so successful. Ant-Man 3 ain´t even close to be in any of those situations.  All of these movies you mentioned getting a sequel is also just your assumption. As for X-Men in saga 3 Kevin himself implied this. It´s also the most logical place to go if you aren´t introducing them in this saga. Just so it´s not any confusion I´m talking about the MCU main universe take on the X-Men not variants like we see in MoM of characters from the Fox movies.

Do you really think that Yelena, Blade, and CA will be done after their Thunderbolts, Blade, and NWO movies? Do you really think we won't get a sequel to Shang-Chi, Thor4, DS2, BP2, The Marvels, and DP3? Every Phase 4,5 & 6 movie will get a sequel except GOTG3 and perhaps Eternals. All these movies would fill 2026-2029 MCU slots.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

Just now, Willowra said:

Do you really think that Yelena, Blade, and CA will be done after their Thunderbolts, Blade, and NWO movies? Do you really think we won't get a sequel to Shang-Chi, Thor4, DS2, BP2, The Marvels, and DP3? Every Phase 4 movie will get a sequel except GOTG3 and perhaps Eternals. All these movies would fill 2026-2028 MCU slots.

I didn´t say that. I said that saga 3 will be X-men focused and that we won´t get another Ant-Man movie. That doesn´t mean we won´t get sequels to saga 2 projects All of these movies/characers you mentioned could get sequels but right now we have no idea which of those projects will get it. My main point was about Ant-Man. They have made a trilogy. It´s also going be very meh at the box office. There is no reason to make another especially when you list all of those projects that could/should get. They aren´t goin to fill the whole 2026-2028 MCU slate just sequels to saga 2. Also characters can still continue even if they don´t get sequels to there specific projects. 

Some are really overreacting with MCU destiny. It's still a superhealthy BO property. I am reading now same comments as in 2021 when Eternals opened... Just two months before NWH destroyed expectations.

MOM didn't meet expectations? Maybe, but it grossed more than IM3, CW and GotG2. And it did in a more complex market.
Thor 4? Despite lukewarm reception, it topped the previous 3 entries in DOM market. It would have also ocurred OS if not for China+Russia+Europe inflation+war.

WF had a solid reception and it sits as the 7th highest DOM grosser of MCU.

Now AM3 opens higher than AM&AM2 and marks 3rd best February opening alltime. Not bad at all BO wise.

There are some problems with the quality consistency of the saga? Sure. Many missed oportunities? Debatable. But numbers are still quite impressive and consistently good/great.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

45 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Do you really think that Yelena, Blade, and CA will be done after their Thunderbolts, Blade, and NWO movies? Do you really think we won't get a sequel to Shang-Chi, Thor4, DS2, BP2, The Marvels, and DP3? Every Phase 4,5 & 6 movie will get a sequel except GOTG3 and perhaps Eternals. All these movies would fill 2026-2029 MCU slots.

Depends on how successful these films are. AM3 making like 530-550 or something off a 200M budget isn't a money loser but it isn't much of a moneymaker either esp. with how they upped the stakes and gave the film the introduction of Kang, so I see no reason to make AM4 esp since this one got stinker reception.

All those characters will be the same at this point. If their film do well, they'll get more, if not, they won't. The MCU is past the point where they can basically assume every film is a success.

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

MCU is basically in DCEU 2016 stage. Films are shit, but goodwill is still working. 

Its just one Justice League away from crash and burning, though MCU goodwill is a lot higher than what DC with TDK trilogy had made for itself.

guardians 3 cannot be sh1t ! what ever the marvels is it's gonna get review bombed and the expectations r lower ! so good movie which is better than the first one is good ! next year captain America, blade or DP 3 all these movies can't be sh1t ! specially DP 3 they can do no wrong there !

43 minutes ago, stripe said:

Some are really overreacting with MCU destiny. It's still a superhealthy BO property. I am reading now same comments as in 2021 when Eternals opened... Just two months before NWH destroyed expectations.

MOM didn't meet expectations? Maybe, but it grossed more than IM3, CW and GotG2. And it did in a more complex market.
Thor 4? Despite lukewarm reception, it topped the previous 3 entries in DOM market. It would have also ocurred OS if not for China+Russia+Europe inflation+war.

WF had a solid reception and it sits as the 7th highest DOM grosser of MCU.

Now AM3 opens higher than AM&AM2 and marks 3rd best February opening alltime. Not bad at all BO wise.

There are some problems with the quality consistency of the saga? Sure. Many missed oportunities? Debatable. But numbers are still quite impressive and consistently good/great.

The only great numbers are NWH.

Schang chi numbers were ok for the character and yeah COVID.

BW, tlt and eternals numbers were dissapointing and so will quantumania's

DS2 were good in  relation to the Sequel but man those bvs type legs.

WF was ok but even for good reception it needed holidays to push it past 450m . OS numbers were weak 

4 BS in the last 6 ,shitty legs , Declining reputation OS and major hubs like Korea starting to reject MCU .....

Franchise is now running on MCU brand power .

Is it dying . No.

Is it fine . Kind of atleast box office wise 

But placing words like great or impressive on this seems like a bit of a  stretch here.

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

MCU is basically in DCEU 2016 stage. Films are shit, but goodwill is still working. 

Its just one Justice League away from crash and burning, though MCU goodwill is a lot higher than what DC with TDK trilogy had made for itself.

Lol what. It's nowhere near close to 2016 DCEU, they had two rotten movies back to back with A-listers like Batman, Superman and Joker. If the next Avengers or Spider-Man movie gets such reviews than your point would be true.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Unless like an Avengers film is awful, I think they probably still could get away with similar reception to Quantumania this phase. The MCU in the 2020s reminds me of Pixar in the 2010s. Still big but not what they used to be, except a giga-sequel or 2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

This is the first MCU movie I did not watch opening weekend, and still have not bought tickets for. I will probably still watch it some time this month since I have A-list, but honestly I'm so over the whole multiverse plotlines and I just don't care about time travel/variants any more. It was fun for one movie/show, but by this point it just feels convoluted and tedious. At this point I'm not even sure how/if they can pull off A5/A6 with these writers. 

And these unlimited subs are part of the reason Marvel will keep a huge floor for awhile.  I'd bet, for all the movie subscription services, the vast majority of the users see Marvel movies, and for the unlimited subscribers, many times more than once, b/c that's a big reason they subscribe - to see the blockbuster movies.

It would be nice if we consolidated a subscriber amount for each service.  Cinemark had topped 1M subs before Covid, but I'm not sure where any of the big 3 (AMC. Cinemark, Regal) and any of the lesser theatrical subs service numbers are right now.

Big news for the JCU today.

Looks like we'll be getting a Jim directed film called "The Last Train From Hiroshima: The Survivors Look Back" before Avatar 4. As well as a “Fantastic Voyage” film directed by Del Toro. Except Alita 2 before A4 also.

Always knew this decade would be dominated by the cinematic universe.

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

The only great numbers are NWH.

Schang chi numbers were ok for the character and yeah COVID.

BW, tlt and eternals numbers were dissapointing and so will quantumania's

DS2 were good in  relation to the Sequel but man those bvs type legs.

WF was ok but even for good reception it needed holidays to push it past 450m . OS numbers were weak 

4 BS in the last 6 ,shitty legs , Declining reputation OS and major hubs like Korea starting to reject MCU .....

Franchise is now running on MCU brand power .

Is it dying . No.

Is it fine . Kind of atleast box office wise 

But placing words like great or impressive on this seems like a bit of a  stretch here.

NWH numbers are much more than great!
DS2 didn't have BvS legs, come on. Frontloaded OW? Yes, but only slightly over CW.

Legs have never beet one of MCU strengths... Anyways, Thor L&T had more or less the same legs as IM2.
There are more reasons than just quality to explain why OS numbers are declining.
I agree that franchise is now running on MCU brand power. Many producers would kill for a franchise with such brand power.
For me, numbers are impressive because of its undeniable strong consistency. Despite 3-4 MCU movies per year, and more than 30 films history, the signs of a strong future are still there. This is unprecedented.

• Like 1

I don’t know why we keep referring to AM3 being the introduction to Kang. 

It was done, and better, in Loki.

Yet AM3 did it for the masses using action spectacle, but we’ve arrived with the same set up as Loki already did.  It just wasn’t as good. Still, it’s job done for the set up for those that don’t watch the shows, even if the movie was a mixed bag. 

I didn’t think it was bad though.  A bit better than L&T, and just under MoM for me. 

Edited by wildphantom