GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

34 minutes ago, Shawn said:

43.5 with previews

(Seems likely to go up since it's only 2pm west coast.)

Hide your fam, its a BOMB.

The 100M+ OW is locked predictions feel like they are from ages ago.

• Like 1

Fwiw, $43.5M is almost exactly 1.5x Th/Fri ratio, which is what a lot of the pre-sale data was suggesting 

I’ll be surprised if it gets any higher than $45M, think that early estimate is going to mostly stick 

20 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I don’t use metacritic. My post was because people are acting like the movie is awful and it just isn’t. There were multiple moments in the movie where I smiled or laughed or went “wow!” And that’s all I ask for from these movies. They don’t all have to be the 2nd coming of Christ. Kang was actually a good villain so that’s the cherry on top. And they respected the integrity of the main characters which is more than I can say for one of the sequels that came out last year. There was only one moment where I thought “wait this is bad writing” but it’s a technical nerd thing and I doubt the reviews bring it up.  Even you know who was good for a few laughs which is all that character is in the comics.  The story also actually had some neat ideas in it.

Liked it too. But the script has lots of issues it's just Thor 4 and eternals are worse.

It's a watchable film but found it hollow , derivative and even the Kang scenes which are great are mostly just exposition and even repeats same info given to us in Loki finale.

The movie felt like a long first act characterised by exposition then the third act happened with little to no character development esp ant family and the quantum poeple. Pfieffer was great though.

There were interesting moments but the film didn't follow through 

Modok ending was shit . He was great for most of the movie.

Movie is so concerned with setup and forgets to give a conclusive Ant-Man movie and an end to the trilogy and the characters . Wasp was done so dirty 

Yeah the movie introduced Kang the big bad and he was great but other than that nothing much substantive happened basically if one watched Loki nothing much was added really in regards to Kang character . The ending with him was lame imo.

The first two movies were not perfect but they had charm and some neat creative moments  but this movie felt so cooperate made and this movie was majorly an Ad for the next films .

Scope was bigger ,2 notable  performances, some cool moments but underneath that was a super generic script and a plot  that was more style than substance. 

Fun but forgettable film .

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

what is Ant-Man and the Wasp adjusted OW?

On sheer inflation to 2023 dollars, it would be about $90.3m.

There's probably more math that should go into it to get a more precise estimation, but it's Friday, so I'm lazy.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

what is Ant-Man and the Wasp adjusted OW?

probably something between 92.5 and 97.5

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Go off king

Get that page count up

I have had warnings before about ranting about critics, and also anytime I talk about MCU in a negative light. I fear speaking here would be a double whammy and score me some points on my license, so to speak

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

75% positive and 60% recommend is terrible for a fan driven movie on its opening day for sure. This was always expected to be frontloaded but this could skew even more than usual. Weekdays in Feb/Mar are not exceptional and there aren't any holidays outside president's day though schools do give spring break but that is spread out rather than all of them having at once. 

on where it lands OW, let us wait until this evening. For now its looking at round 95m if Shawn's number hold but its still early. 

Edit: Deadline is saying 44m as well. Improbable to hit 100m with this considering the reception. I would stick with OW around 95m. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3

Comps:

Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania

• 3.5 Stars, 75% Positive, 60% Recommend (Thursday)

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

• 5 Stars, 83% Recommend (Thursday)
  • 93% Positive, 85% Definite Recommend (Friday)
  • 5 Stars, 93% Positive, 85% Definite Recommend (Saturday)

Thor: Love and Thunder

• 3.5 Stars, 63% Definite Recommend (Thursday)
  • 3.5 Stars, 77% Positive (Friday)

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

• 4 Stars, 81% Positive, 71% Definite Recommend (Thursday)
  • 4 Stars, 82% Positive, 69% Definite Recommend (Friday)

Spider-Man: No Way Home

• 5 Stars, 95% Positive, 89% Definite Recommend (Thursday)
  • 5 Stars, 96% Positive, 91% Definite Recommend (Friday)

Eternals

• 3.5 Stars, 75% Positive, 57% Definite Recommend (Thursday)
  • 3.5 Stars, 77% Positive (Friday)
  • 3.5 Stars, 78% Positive, 60% Definite Recommend (Saturday)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

• 5 Stars (Thursday)
  • 5 Stars, 91% Positive, 78% Definite Recommend (Friday)

Black Widow

• 88% Positive, 69% Definite Recommend (Friday)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

If Disney estimates $100 mil on Sunday for the weekend, we can lock it up as hitting it (even if they fudge a bit)

I understand fudging over weeks and months, but can anything over a million be fudged over a single day without straight up lying? Or will they take from mondays gross (if thats whats needed)?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

The rest of the top five includes Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s Puss in Boots: The Last Wish at 2,675 with a robust ninth weekend of $6.4M over 3 (+15%) and $8.5M over 4 days getting the animated sequel to $169.3M, beating last year’s domestic final of Sing 2 ($162.7M). The pic’s Friday is $1.45M.

Third belongs to the tenth weekend of 20th/Lightstorm/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water at 2,675 locations with a $1.4M Friday, with a $6.5M 3-day (-10%), 4 day of $8.1M, running total of $659M which will make the James Cameron directed movie the 9th highest of all-time on the domestic box office list.

Fourth is Warner Bros.’ second weekend of Magic Mike’s Last Dance at 3,034 with a $1.5M Friday, 3 day of $4.7M (-43%), 4-day of $5.4M and running total just under $18M.

Paramount’s 80 for Brady is fifth at 3,119 with a third Friday of $1.05M, 3-day of $4M, -31%, 4-day of $4.7M and running total of $33.3M.

What the heck? Puss increasing and A2 barely dropping

• Astonished 3