GOGODanca

3/3 - 3/5 Weekend Thread | Creed III gets the biggest franchise opening and MGM opening ever with 58.7M. #AintMan drops 61% for 12.5M. Jonathan Majors still getting paid fat stacks

when i saw it on my cinema listings i considered going, i had never heard of it before and was surprised by the lack of buzz but yeah finding out it's literally just the last episode of last season and the first episode of the new season... meh. not surprised some are getting suckered into that.

9 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Demon slayer has a 73 verified audience score thus far, looks like a lot of people expected a brand new movie and not for half of it to be old episodesSpider Man Lol GIF

Huh thought it was common knowledge for anime fans that this was a theatrical premiere of the new season along with the end of the last arc. That's kinda funny ngl

• Like 1

Look at CB possibly obtaining a sub-50% drop this weekend. It will need some help on Saturday and Sunday to reach that; but the worst case seems to be a 55% drop. Should finish its run north of $50M and maybe even $60M if those legs aren't too shaky going forward. Pretty good run overall for the film.

No joke: I just got out of Creed III at Regal Oakwood and a teenage concession worker got into a major physical fight with a 60 year old man. Fists flying, rolling on the ground, all of it. Clearly, Creed word of mouth is spreading fast.

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 7

That's more than enough for what the DS thing is imho. It will open comfortably above the chosen films which are the closest thing to it, so that's plenty already.

At the end of the day, they literally just took a bunch of completed episodes and stitched them together, without even bothering to edit out the opening/ending credits, and this thing is still making like 60-70M worldwide. Don't see how everyone involved isn't plenty happy with that.

• Like 1

Also, absolutely hilarious to me that a Demon Slayer “fan” could somehow not be aware that it was the last two eps of S2+the first of S3 — guess that goes some way to explaining why the PS were so oddly high though :hahaha:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Look at CB possibly obtaining a sub-50% drop this weekend. It will need some help on Saturday and Sunday to reach that; but the worst case seems to be a 55% drop. Should finish its run north of $50M and maybe even $60M if those legs aren't too shaky going forward. Pretty good run overall for the film.

It'll be at around 40M by the end of its second weekend, during which it made 10M. I'd say 60M+ is much more likely than 50.

4 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

UPDATED, Friday PM: Amazon, as it re-embraces theatrical with its acquisition of MGM, will easily see the company’s biggest box office opening ever with Creed III, which is headed to a franchise record start of $45.5 million after a $20M Friday (including $5.45M in previews). Creed III‘s opening day alone is bigger than any previous box office weekend for an Amazon title.

For the most part, previous Amazon theatrical releases (of yore, not the current day-and-date Amazon Prime or truncated window titles) saw platform rollouts, sometimes through distribution partners like STX, Lionsgate or Roadside Attractions.

A previous wide notable weekend for an Amazon title was the fourth-weekend wide break of The Big Sick with $7.56M (in 2,597 theaters). Lionsgate handled that movie in 2017.

This is such a stupid way to frame things. Creed/MGM is clearly a different beast from Amazon Studios and their usual output. You don't have to do this kind of wacky spin stuff for this movie.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

This is such a stupid way to frame things. Creed/MGM is clearly a different beast from Amazon Studios and their usual output. You don't have to do this kind of wacky spin stuff for this movie.

They're spinning as if Creed 3 is projecting to be a flop. But it's the polar opposite. If the lofty $50M+ projections end up panning out then that'd be very close to the extended 5-day openings for the previous movies. That's an unquestionable success, so why this spin?

More From Deadline Hollywood

The third weekend of Disney/Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania at 3,825 theaters is seeing a third estimated Friday of $3.5M and a 3-day total of $13.3M, which will get it to $187.6M.

Universal’s second weekend of Cocaine Bear at 3,571 is seeing a second Friday of $3.2M (-63% from last Friday), and a three-day total of $10.8M, -54%, for a running total of $41M by EOD Sunday.

Fourth belongs to Crunchyroll’s Demon Slayer Into the Swordsmith Village at 1,780 theaters. It is looking at $4.2M without any previews included today and $10.75M over Friday-Saturday.

Fifth is Lionsgate’s second weekend of Jesus Revolution at 2,575 theaters, seeing a second Friday of $2M (-71%) and a three-day total of $6.55M (-59%) for a running cume by Sunday of $28.44M.

Lionsgate’s distribution deal for Miramax’s Guy Ritchie movie Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre at 2,168 (which was dated two weeks ago) is seeing $1M today, including previews, for a $2.5M-$3M weekend. The pic is on a 17-day window, and the hope for the distributor is that theatrical will set the table for home entertainment. Critics aren’t wowed at 53% Rotten, but audiences are at 100% for the action pic toplined by Jason Statham, Hugh Grant, Cary Elwes, Josh Hartnett and Aubrey Plaza.

I dont see how Ant 3 can be so high. By my comps with yesterday its coming around 3.15m. Of course ratios could be lower(already its crazy low at this point) but 3.5m seems too much. 

Demon Slayer was crazy front loaded. Did not even hit 1.5x PS I put in yesterday !!!!

Creed on the other hand has had a uber strong walkups as expected. It went way past my prediction early this afternoon. it sold 155% of presales data yesterday with walkups. That is an impressive number for sure. I dont have good comps but it almost sold 64% of Ant opening friday. of course this would skew more urban markets that said it has to go up from deadline number for sure. I am thinking 21.5m+ at this point.  

• Like 5

Gotta dig this breakout (and the continued strength of the 2023 box office) marking the beginning of what's looking to be a very busy March.

Scream and John Wick are looking to also be similarly big. On the other hand, it is starting to appear as if Shazam 2 and especially Dungeons & Dragons have their work cut out for them (while 65 is looking to be a dumped bomb).

• Like 1