Eric Burnett

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

On 4/6/2023 at 3:57 PM, wildphantom said:

can a Zelda story be done in one film though? I’m not sure. Agree it can be animated, but you can’t do Ocarina in two hours. A trilogy, yeah. That would be a first for animation to do that, but it could set a precedent. 

One film?  No.  The Legend of Zelda world is so expansion there could easily be a Trilogy.  I just think Live Action isn't happening.  After "Mario 93" I wonder will Nintendo ever approve a live action film again.   It seems they can have more success by animating all the properties.    Nintendo prides itself on appealing to children.  Sure a Live Action "Zelda" movie or even television series could be awesome but I think you can do much more with Link in Animation and really expand the world.   Now that Mario has knocked the blocks off the box office and collected all these coins.  I expect them to definitely stay in Animation.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

One film?  No.  The Legend of Zelda world is so expansion there could easily be a Trilogy.  I just think Live Action isn't happening.  After "Mario 93" I wonder will Nintendo ever approve a live action film again.   It seems they can have more success by animating all the properties.    Nintendo prides itself on appealing to children.  Sure a Live Action "Zelda" movie or even television series could be awesome but I think you can do much more with Link in Animation and really expand the world.   Now that Mario has knocked the blocks off the box office and collected all these coins.  I expect them to definitely stay in Animation.  

I’m more than fine with animation. Like you said though, a trilogy…perfect. 

Ocarina could easily be a trilogy. A three act structure is already there. 

1 hour ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Well now I feel like a geezer :(

Tell me about it... I was 11 when a Jurassic Park movie released too... The first JP movie with world in the title... The Lost World: Jurassic Park. The box office hype was everywhere reading the column in dad's Entertainment Weekly (the only place I knew of that had a breakdown issue for each box office season especially the summer blockbuster season)... Then, it happened! Batman Forever's OW DOM record shattered! Unfortunately not the greatest legs at the box office for that one. In this era, those legs wouldn't be quite that bad honestly but back then they were stegosaurus legs.... Stumpy and borderline non-existent. 

Later that summer we knew there was a new king when Men In Blank was not only a much, much more entertaining movie but Will Smith won the summer the second consecutive year after ID4 dominated the year before.

• Heart 1

• Founder / Operator

Seeing some confusion here about the $59M figure. That number was directly reported by Universal, which is effectively the same as comScore, not any outside sources or made up by Deadline. 

It may end up off, but let's keep facts in line before blaming outlets for any misreporting. The studio may have just jumped the gun and overcorrected after being so low before.

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Seeing some confusion here about the $59M figure. That number was directly reported by Universal, which is effectively the same as comScore, not any outside sources or made up by Deadline. 

It may end up off, but let's keep facts in line before blaming outlets for any misreporting. The studio may have just jumped the gun and overcorrected after being so low before.

Thanks for clarifying Shawn!

• Like 1

Exclusive: China Film Group distributed Toho/CoMix Wave Film "Suzume" crossed $100M in China. 1st Japanese Film to hit $100M outside Japan! This is really huge when you read out we broke out $100M not in Largest Market but in 2nd Largest Market! 24 Years back many from Japanese Film Industry thought that North America would give us our 1st $100M Film Outside Japan when Warner Bros distributed 1998 Japanese Anime Film "Pokemon: The First Movie" was striking chords, ending with $85M. But, looks like those days are gone. Suzume debuts on 14 April, 2023, not only on North America but also on multiple European/Latin American Countries will be looking forward on next week!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1