Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

7 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Looks like four quadrant monster with amazing word of mouth to boot. I'm fascinated by that latino demo. I had no idea that mario was so big with them. Explains why Latin amaerica is really showing up for the film as well.

John Leguizamo was right! Princess Peach should've been Puerto Rican!

Joking! :sparta:

Fwiw, I would have a baseline expectation that Mario declines slightly from Fri to Sat. Good Friday is the second biggest Friday holiday in US, in terms of school and business closures, behind only Black Friday, where we routinely see Sat declines even for family films off a Wednesday opening. Also had a TFri to Sat decline with a July 4th Mon for Minions and Fri Vet Day for BPWF. Plus Easter weekend in particular has a lot of kid/family activities that will probably help shave off some potential

The one advantage Mario has is that the astronomical opening probably left some unmet demand to roll into a later time, but that could be through Monday or even into the second weekend rather than for Saturday

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

1) Super Mario Bros Movie (Ill/Uni) 4,343 theaters, Wed $31.7M Th $26.5M Fri $55M 3-day $137M, 5-day $195.3M/Wk 1

2.) Dungeons & Dragons (Par/eOne) 3,856 theaters, Fri $4.84M (-68%), 3-day $13.65M (-63%), Total $61.4M/Wk 2

3.) John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 3,607 (-248) theaters, Fri $4.8M (-39%), 3-day $13.6M (-52%), Total $146M/Wk 3

4.) Air (Amazon) 3,507 theaters, Wed $3.2M Thu $2.4M Fri $5M 3-day $12.7M, 5-day $18.5M/Wk 1

5.) Scream VI (Par) 2,286 theaters (-156), Fri $1.2M (-20%) 3-day $3.36M (-37%), Total $103.8M/Wk 5

6.) Creed III (MGM) 2,002 theaters (-825), Fri $1M (+112%) 3-day $2.99M (-40%), Total $153.4M/Wk 6

7.) His Only Son (Angel) 1,930 theaters, Fri $850K (-61%), 3-day $2.4M (-56%), Total $10.1M/Wk 2

8.) Shazam! Fury of the Gods (WB) 2,203 (-1,248) theaters, Fri $600K (-50%), 3-day $1.73M (-62%), Total $56.7M/ Wk 4

9.) Paint (IFC) 819 theaters, Fri $293K, 3-day $826K/Wk 1

10.) Thousand and One (Foc) 926 theaters Fri $190K (-11%), 3-day $540K (-70%), Total $2.9M /Wk 2

https://deadline.com/2023/04/box-office-super-mario-bros-movie-air-amazon-ben-affleck-1235318951/

Smaller films still struggling to get anywhere these days. Paint should have brought in some Bob Ross fans, and A Thousand and One had great reviews and still failed to bring in much of an audience. 

While mid-level movies like Air, Cocaine Bear, 80 for Brady and Ticket to Paradise have brought adults back to theaters, the art house movies still struggle to find much of an audience. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Fwiw, I would have a baseline expectation that Mario declines slightly from Fri to Sat. Good Friday is the second biggest Friday holiday in US, in terms of school and business closures, behind only Black Friday, where we routinely see Sat declines even for family films off a Wednesday opening. Also had a TFri to Sat decline with a July 4th Mon for Minions and Fri Vet Day for BPWF. Plus Easter weekend in particular has a lot of kid/family activities that will probably help shave off some potential

The one advantage Mario has is that the astronomical opening probably left some unmet demand to roll into a later time, but that could be through Monday or even into the second weekend rather than for Saturday

Sunday is resurrection day, not Saturday, try again tomorrow (you being the one coming back from the dead in this case)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

6 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

8.) Shazam! Fury of the Gods (WB) 2,203 (-1,248) theaters, Fri $600K (-50%), 3-day $1.73M (-62%), Total $56.7M/ Wk 4

is the $60m dead

With 3.3 million to go, I’m sure Warners will get it past that line, but barely. 

it has a semi-holiday Monday followed by spring break weekdays this week. While it’s on digital now, it’s not on HBO Max so I could see it being pushed.

But a studio having to push one of their tent poles picks just to get it past the 60 million mark. Ouch!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

With 3.3 million to go, I’m sure Warners will get it past that line, but barely. 

it has a semi-holiday Monday followed by spring break weekdays this week. While it’s on digital now, it’s not on HBO Max so I could see it being pushed.

But a studio having to push one of their tent poles picks just to get it past the 60 million mark. Ouch!

I dont think studios care about legs, but if they can get it to 60 they can probably get it to 61

1 minute ago, screambaby said:

Possibly  having  to 'bump' a comic book movie to a whopping 60 million is both sad and hillarious at the same time...

The year is not yet over...

(Although, if another goes this low or lower...oh boy)...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Can't read everything but 58 pages and counting mean only one thing - Mario will crack a billie WW isn't it? Can anyone confirm whether it's tracking for that much when it's all said and done?

Estimating a 368 million ww for the 5 day...so unless it totally tanks in week 2 it  should do a billion easy