Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Wow, Sean Gunn genuinely went off  

It's actually worse than that.  They make 400 times what their average nonsupervisory employee makes, not the lowest paid employee.  And Iger makes over a 1000 times the median salary of Disney employees.  They're dragons hoarding gold.

Edited by dmizzo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dmizzo said:

It's actually worse than that.  They make 400 times what their average nonsupervisory employee makes, not the lowest paid employee.  And Iger makes over a 1000 times the median salary of Disney employees.  They're dragons hoarding gold.

Yeah, I was gonna say 400x the lowest worker is waaaaaay too low for what Iger makes. That would look “reasonable” in comparison to reality. 

4 hours ago, DAR said:

It’s part of a larger thread.  But this is referring to the Netflix reboot of One Day at a Time.

@Plain Old Tele  I wanted to ask you something about this thread.  The author mentions streaming vs broadcast residuals.  My main live tv viewing is through Hulu’s live tv option. If I were to watch Villains of Valley View would that count as a streaming view or a Disney Channel network viewing?

1 hour ago, DInky said:

I meant to post it here because it highlights the problem with streaming.

As far as ZSJL is concerned, physical copies of it do exist, so at the very least, even if it gets pulled from Max, it wouldn’t become lost media. 

On 7/15/2023 at 6:49 AM, XXR Union Solidarity said:

I'm curious what the endgame is for the streaming viewership/revenue part of this battle. How will they quantify what drives subscriptions to a streaming service VS what people are watching because they already paid for the service? I also both of these will need to be answered when it comes to determining what a "fair share" of revenue or "fair pay" is for a particular level of viewership.

If they were upfront with the talent and their shareholders from the beginning, they probably wouldn't be in this mess. In fact, if they were, Netflix might still be the only game in town. 

But most probably Sarandos would not be as rich as he has become. He has it coming.

It has never made sense to measure the success of a show/move on streaming based on sign ups. If you record bad data, you're going to make bad decisions. It's so elementary you wonder why Wall Street analysts and these studio executives have jobs at all. They seem wholly incompetent. 

Perhaps it doesn't even make financial sense at all. Kind of like how Spotify gives practically nothing to music artists. But even if it doesn't improve anything for writers/actors etc. it will pull the curtain down on the con Sarandos and others have been running. Once again, these parasites can only make the amount of money they do by exploiting others. Billionaires are system failures not aspirations. 

This also goes for all industries, but it may not be a clear cut as streaming/studios. I'd argue that them normalising streaming at these price points also is their fault. It made sense to them when they could obfuscate and not pay others, but perhaps it was never sustainable from the beginning. And even then, didn't they screw creatives over when home video first came about?

I hope society wide there is blowback on this obscene concentration of ill-gotten wealth by the top. They don't deserve it and never did. Most of them deserve to be in jail.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 1:19 AM, FunkMiller said:

Literally seeing the same people who endlessly complain about stuff being too woke now, defending the executives that have greenlit all the stuff that they claim to despise.

You couldn't make it up.

Anyone who uses the term 'woke' these days unironically is someone not worth listening to because they are just brainwashed parrots, regurgitating talking points their masters trained them to say on demand. 

That isn't even a sweeping statement, it's an objective truth. No objective thought crosses their minds in between the time they hear the command and when they spew it. Perhaps no thought at all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Even if Gunn wasn't fully informed on the subject matter how does that justify taking down the interview? Gunn isn't the journalist here. It's hilarious how biased the trades are being.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DInky said:

Even if Gunn wasn't fully informed on the subject matter how does that justify taking down the interview? Gunn isn't the journalist here. It's hilarious how biased the trades are being.

Truly pathetic. Sean explains very well why the interview shouldn’t have been deleted to begin with here:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Truly pathetic. Sean explains very well why the interview shouldn’t have been deleted to begin with here:

Shouldn't have been deleted even if he was wrong. That's not how journalism works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DInky said:

Shouldn't have been deleted even if he was wrong. That's not how journalism works.

It’s an obvious act to put public’s opinion against the actors and writers that are outspoken about the strike. I never hated the trades as much as I do now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BK007 said:

If they were upfront with the talent and their shareholders from the beginning, they probably wouldn't be in this mess. In fact, if they were, Netflix might still be the only game in town. 

But most probably Sarandos would not be as rich as he has become. He has it coming.

It has never made sense to measure the success of a show/move on streaming based on sign ups. If you record bad data, you're going to make bad decisions. It's so elementary you wonder why Wall Street analysts and these studio executives have jobs at all. They seem wholly incompetent. 

Perhaps it doesn't even make financial sense at all. Kind of like how Spotify gives practically nothing to music artists. But even if it doesn't improve anything for writers/actors etc. it will pull the curtain down on the con Sarandos and others have been running. Once again, these parasites can only make the amount of money they do by exploiting others. Billionaires are system failures not aspirations. 

This also goes for all industries, but it may not be a clear cut as streaming/studios. I'd argue that them normalising streaming at these price points also is their fault. It made sense to them when they could obfuscate and not pay others, but perhaps it was never sustainable from the beginning. And even then, didn't they screw creatives over when home video first came about?

I hope society wide there is blowback on this obscene concentration of ill-gotten wealth by the top. They don't deserve it and never did. Most of them deserve to be in jail.

Actors and writers aren't striking to not improve their situation.

In this strike, it wouldn't make sense to publicly reveal the real numbers if it wouldn't benefit most actors and writers (or worse, it would negatively affect them). They would need to find another way to increase the amount of residuals.

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries which are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. Your gold and your silver have rusted; and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire. It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure! Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth. You have lived luxuriously on the earth and led a life of pleasure; you have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. You have condemned and put to death the righteous man; he does not resist you.” (James 5:1-6 NASB1995)

Edited by SLAM!