Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

There’s a fair amount of gray area here in terms of “writing” and “acting” but it’s always been the case that crossing lines of a guild that’s striking means you’re barred from joining that guild later. 

I would also add, gray areas of modern social media notwithstanding, unions have historically been grumpy over the whole issue of scabs.

Now the blurred line that is social media is an issue, yes.  But, frankly, I 100 percent agree that if someone is thinking about going legit and joining a guild in the future doing work for a company that is currently getting struck that isn't exactly a way to endear yourself to strikers and it is very likely to be taken into consideration in the future.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

• Community Manager
Just now, ZattMurdock said:

We don’t even have that. I mean, other than Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin, do we really have any ‘cbm hype people’ out there? Because the YouTubers ain’t it.

That Matt Ramos guy. Pretty much him. But it seems like he will be fine:

• Like 2

To claiify: Does the WGA strike apply only to Movies and TV>

I am thinking about WGA member who might be able to sell an Magazine article to one of the magazines published by Warner, which sitll owns a lot of magazines from the days it was Time/Warner? Would it be violated the strike if a writer got a gig writing for DC comics withtout writing for the movie/tv department of DC?

• Community Manager
13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

This dude is as much relevant as Grace Randolph. Meaning, not at all.

Like him or not (and I don't) he does have a following. Same with Randolph although I think hers has dropped off some?

• Like 5

• Community Manager

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

To claiify: Does the WGA strike apply only to Movies and TV>

I am thinking about WGA member who might be able to sell an Magazine article to one of the magazines published by Warner, which sitll owns a lot of magazines from the days it was Time/Warner? Would it be violated the strike if a writer got a gig writing for DC comics withtout writing for the movie/tv department of DC?

The following are ***SAG*** rules for the strike, but I would presume that the WGA rules are similiar, ****BUT WHEN IN DOUBT CONTACT THE GUILD IN QUESTION AND ASK***

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/Strike_IMPORTANT.pdf

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/Strike_Can_Work.pdf

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/Strike_Cant_Work.pdf

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You might want to share wga strike info since the question was about the wga. 

Damn you're quick, as I already blanked out my post and reposted a different one with a proviso. :)

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Still not expecting the realization of "oh shit, we're fucked" to kick in until the studios begin the game of release date musical chairs. Should probably take bets as to how much longer it will be until that commences.

Around labor day.

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Around labor day.

I'm thinking before that. TIFF will need to reveal their slate soon and there's already rumors that the studios are looking to pull their movies that are (were?) going to play there if there won't be stars there to promote them (people always pay big bucks for these events just for the in-person star sightings).

I think it’s been reported that Equalizer 3 is still gonna keep its date even if Denzel can’t promote. With that and The Creator launching a new trailer, September should be okay with the bigger studio/franchise movies. The Star-driven ones like Challengers, Dumb Money and maybe Poor Things and Drive-Away Dolls have more of a chance of moving. 

It seems so silly that Universal is putting out Trolls 3 and Migration about a month apart with the former opening less than a week before Wish. Since some of the animated movies have already been reported as seeing voice-acting halted due to the strike (Spider-Man obviously but also Kung Fu Panda, Despicable Me, and Transformers) I could see them pushing Migration to the spring and moving Trolls to Christmas weekend to give it and Wish more breathing room from each other.