Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

7 hours ago, Arlborn said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/writers-rooms-matter-1235504223/

I was just reading this article to understand better what the preservation of the writers room entailed and what I can't understand is why they wanna take away something that ultimately just makes the product they're producing better. This capitalistic shortsightedness is incredibly unproductive...

Studios don't really care about their product being better (unless this being better means much higher profits). If the benefit for the product being better doesn't cover the cost, then it's not worth it.

As the article said, company bosses don't really care about the welfare of their workers. That's why workers need to protect themselves.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DInky said:

andor-reckoning.gif

(cross company, but close enuf)

===

from the article:

On Monday, a group of more than 50 on-set employees filed a petition for an election to be represented by the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) with the National Labor Relations Board. The workers are asking for the election to be held as early as August 21.

@Plain Old Tele might be getting some fresh blood in the union!

===

Commentary mode = ON

The thing is, I don't think people outside of the tech orbit really grok just how... alien the whole concept of unions is to their worldview.  There's probably a thousand different reasons for this that aren't worth getting into (mostly cultural dating back decades) but I just want to note that ANY tech(-adjacent) industry voting to unionize is A Big Deal and, if successful, could move far beyond just Hollywood.

Also goes to show that a corp can't systematically mistreat its workforce for years and years without... Well, as I said, "reckoning" really is apropos here.  Even as union-averse a field as tech isn't immune to this basic calculus.

Commentary mode = OFF

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:48 PM, FunkMiller said:

Campea is desperate to keep ‘in’ with the studios so he can attend premiers and special events. He - and the plethora of YouTubers like him - is entirely untrustworthy.

This is nothing new

Has been that way since the earliest days of On Line "Journalism". 

Remember Harry Knowles,,who really stated the whole on line movie geek culture with "Ain't It Cool"nres back in the mid 90's... and his endless appetite for "Presents" from studios? Turned out you could by favorably coverage on "Ain't It Cool Newa" if you gave Harry enough freebies. When that came out Harry prettty much was done as a serious force . Problem is the most Geeks who run their newsites are little bettre, they are just more subtle and not as obvious about it as Knowles was. They hide it a bit better.

Problem is Internet Journalism has no professional standards. If you are a journalist employed by a legit news outlet, being a "kept Journalist",,someone who while being paid by your outlet while also getitng money from the people you are covering...is the worst thing you can accuse a journalist of being.

Which is why I don't hold "geek" Journalism in high regard.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DInky said:

The dismal treatment of MCU VFX artists has been well known for years now. It almost feels like karma for Disney that MCU suddenly finds itself struggling so much commercially. 

• Like 2