Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This either ends around the end of next week (a realistic timeline for good faith and steady negotiations), or it ends next year because of a blowup/significant impasse. Hard for me to see any in-between.

Fingers crossed for the former. 

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This either ends around the end of next week (a realistic timeline for good faith and steady negotiations), or it ends next year because of a blowup/significant impasse. Hard for me to see any in-between.

Usually when people say this in between is exactly what happens

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Usually when people say this in between is exactly what happens

Could well happen! I'm certainly not an expert on any part of union negotiations, just the organizing part. But that is my instinct based on how WGA and the studios acted during that strike. It's good they have set more meetings, but in any labor negotiation, it's the final 10 percent that gets ya.

• Like 1

More details from deadline:

The talks are being paused Tuesday so both sides can take some time to “process and analyze” what was put on the table Monday, says an individual close to events — a POV confirmed by others in the loop. In that vein, the parties are said to feel that both sides are treating the talks with the “care” and seriousness they deserve, we hear.

“Everyone wants to get a deal done, but it is going to take three or four weeks,” one industry vet told us, picking up on what Deadline reported earlier today. “It won’t be as fast as WGA,” he noted as Writers Guild members once again were out on the picket lines Monday for a Day of Solidarity with SAG-AFTRA.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Predictable price hike is predictable

You could have stopped right there, you know, as price hikes were coming even if Netflix and co rolled over the unions and got every last thing the AMPTP wanted.

Like, we *KNOW* this, so why the need/desire to "blame" the unions here?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You could have stopped right there, you know, as price hikes were coming even if Netflix and co rolled over the unions and got every last thing the AMPTP wanted.

Like, we *KNOW* this, so why the need/desire to "blame" the unions here?

I'm not blaming the unions whatsoever. I'm blaming corporate greed needing to make the consumers have to pay for what the writers and actors deserved already. They don't need to do price hikes in order to meet the fair demands of the writers and actors, it's what they want to do.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They wouldn’t need to do price hikes if the CEOs agreed to take a pay cut. Oh, but then they would each have one less yacht, and that would be just plain torture! 

Why would they take a pay cut, you're not going to see anyone in senior management be paid the same as the employees below them, that's simply unrealistic.

12 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

There's no way that would ever happen. 

Sure there is.  It just takes enough public pressure to make it socially/politically unpalatable.  Right now at least part of the game is that the public (in the US at least) shrugs their shoulders and says "well, yachts won't buy themselves".

But in other countries, particularly in ones with stronger labor movements, there is more of a desire to not be seen as such a plutocrat.  Not gonna try to track it down but I was reading some commentary about the German system of "codetermination" where, while CEOs and the like still make gobs and gobs of money, there is something of a desire to play the PR game and not seem like a 21st century robber baron since you have to deal with the worker councils.

Like, it's soft pressure, sure.  But it's still pressure on the CEOs (and others in senior management) to be at least a little more conscious of pay gap disparities.  

==

The other way CEO/senior management pay is kept in check is if the public just refuses to meet the new price point.   But in the end, these price hikes work because enough people are willing to pay for them (for now) and... Well if senior managament can pocket a decent amount of that revenue, as I said, "yachts ain't buying themselves."

• Disbelief 1