Eric is Anxious

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

26 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Problem is residuals for streaming I think. How can Netflix pay. its not as if Netflix makes more money because of streaming hours of Manifest or Suits. I think they have to set upfront payment depending on future viewing minutes. So there is minimum and for every billion hours pay certain amount or something like that. For linear tv it was easy to pay residuals due to ad revenue. Another way is to stream old shows only via Ad driven and pay a fraction of that. But Ad revenue in streaming platforms are peanuts. 

It might be peanuts for now but it won't be peanuts for very long. Streamers make more money off of the people in the cheaper ad supported tiers than they do in the much more expensive ad-free tiers. That's one of the reasons price hikes have been hitting the ad-free tiers but ad supported has largely stayed the same price. They want to drive customers to the ad supported plans.

The big hold up is definitely going to be the 2% of all streaming revenue proposal. The studios are going to be extremely reluctant to even open the door to a set share of all revenue. If the actors are equally reluctant to budge on this, don't expect the strike to be resolved soon. (For the record, I'm not saying it's an unreasonable thing for them to ask for, just that I think it's the one thing the studios will fight tooth and nail against).

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We already know that they're planning to prioritize everything that was in the middle of filming when the strike began once it's over anyway.

Yes, but everything that wasn't already filming is going to be much more steeply behind with another month, especially on the network TV side.

14 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I can't see them getting the 2024 TV fall season ready if they're not able to start till after Thanksgiving 

I promise you they can film 20+ episodes in the span of 6-7 months pretty easily. All the streaming shows probably won't have any issues completing their 8-10 episode seasons.  

They also sometimes film multiple episodes at once.  It can very easily be done.

Edited by Cappoedameron

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Sounding like everything till fall 2024 is a wash movie wise, and everything till 2025 for tv

TIL Abbott Elementary was filmed a year in advance.

Oh wait...

EDIT: Also, the Writer's Strike is over. These shows can have scripts ready to shoot immediately!

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

21 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

This is good new and hopefully this includes writing.  I know Hollywood overall isn't exactly creatively but using AI to write scripts is a whole new level of creative bankrupt I ever seen 

21 minutes ago, JWR said:

I hope this passes and throws a wrench in the AMPTP's plans. 

But seriously, I can't understand the logic of trying to stall negotiations when that failed them the last time.

I mean did it fail them they got wga to accept a contract worth half what they came in looking for, they got the wga to accept an extremely high threshold residual bonus, most will never reach and they got them to cut their minimum staffing requirements in half and accept an exception where showrunners can write all the episodes themselves. 

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:
3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I promise you they can film 20+ episodes in the span of 6-7 months pretty easily. All the streaming shows probably won't have any issues completing their 8-10 episode seasons.  

Except that's not how the process works. They greenlight new pilots in the fall, shoot them in the spring and make pickup and cancellation decisions in May. So if they can't order pilots now, then everything gets pushed back.

Edited by SpiderByte

31 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

I mean did it fail them they got wga to accept a contract worth half what they came in looking for, they got the wga to accept an extremely high threshold residual bonus, most will never reach and they got them to cut their minimum staffing requirements in half and accept an exception where showrunners can write all the episodes themselves. 

They still ultimately had to make a deal instead of waiting for the WGA to get burned out. And they ended up paying more than they would have in the original deal.

33 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

Exactly. The WGA are pretty happy about their contract, but we can't deny compromised in a lot of things.

That's likely the reason why the AMPTP will extend the strike, they likely expect the SAG will be willing to reduce their demands (like the 2% streaming revenue).

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1