Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

if strike is not resolved, that is getting pushed as well. I think they will wait before rescheduling it. It all depends on when the strike is resolved. This delay for Elio which has even had a trailer out, seem crazy. 15 months delay !!! I guess Disney realizes that they dont have anything for summer 2025 and moved this to that slot. 

• Founder / Operator
8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

WOW. Does this mean Disney is not confident about strike being resolved this year. 

My read is that they just need more production time and want their most competitive release dates... but yeah, it also could maybe be a bargaining tactic of some sort. I sincerely hope not. This needs to end.

• Like 4

I pretty sure Zootopia 2 is 2024, as apparently they were test screenings. Feel like that isn't moving primarily because they need it otherwise even with Elio needing more voice work, they would likely need it to have another sure firebet if and when Deadpool 3 is bumped to 2025.

Wouldn't be surprised if next week Universal also drops a "see you in 2025" for one of (or both) Kung Fu Panda/Despicable Me 4 and Twisters. Studios are starting to realize how empty that year is looking right now. At least 2024 will still have whatever was supposed to come out this year, I guess.

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

So March is now:

March 1: The Fall Guy

March 8: Kung Fu Panda 4

March 15: Dune Part Two

March 29: Mickey 17, Ghostbusters

(sorry if I missed any movies)

We have seen nothing from Kung Fu Panda 4. Wouldn't be suprised if that moved as well.

You know, I admit to being grumpy last night, but I do want to caution something.

For all of the people who "just want this to end" and not drag into next year (and I'm right there with you), there is one thing worse than talks collapsing right now and the strike dragging into next Jan.

It's if SAG Leadership takes a deal now... and it is rejected by the rank and file.  If that happens, and it has happened during more than one labor strike that has lasted longer than the current SAG one, then it is possible, given the egos involved (this is Hollywood after all) this shit all blows up and it drags on out to Feb or March or April next year.

Now I know the natural inclination is to say "oh that'll never happen" or "SAG rank and file are so exhausted that they'll be pressured into taking a deal".  And while that's a possibility, there's also every chance in the world for large pockets of  opposition to arise from folks who have poured their heart and soul into this strike and take to social media (and elsewhere) to spike the deal.

I would point directly at the last IATSE negotiated deal which averted a strike at the last moment where the only reason parts of it was approved was because of the Electoral Collage like nature of the voting guilds.  If it had been a pure majority up/down vote, at least part of the deal likely would have been rejected (likely because the guild structure perhaps played a minor role in voting habits).  I would also point to the recent John Deere strike where not one, but two negotiated deals between union leadership and management were voted down by the rank-and-file. Though, thankfully in that case, it didn't lead to a long blowup.

Strikes have a way of wearing people down, yes.  They also have a way of radicalizing others.  Now I'm not going to try to say how likely it would be that the rank-and-file of SAG-AFTRA would vote down a perceived watered down deal, as I don't have enough information.

And neither does anyone else here.

Just warning that given how the AMPTP has acted previously during the last few months, they might react... injudiciously to a rejected deal. 

Edited by Porthos
forgot to edit out an extra 'or'
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

So March is now:

Still think The Fall Guy should move to Summer and Argylle takes its March slot.

And Trolls should've vacated the holidays months ago.

And Mickey 17 should move to the mid-July WB slot, or just the Fall for awards.

Edited by crazymoviekid

41 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

So March is now:

Mickey 17 is about to move 

Rumors for some days now that Warner will delayed to late May at least and give it a premiere at the Cannes Film Festival 2024 

Disney is being kinda sneaky tho, their doing strong changes in this Snow White movie. They probably delayed a full year because of the CGI necessary to redo the entire dwarfs aspect, not because of the strike.

Elio probably because it needs voice work to be done and they don’t want to delay the way more commercially safe bets which are Inside Out 2 in June and the November movie which is likely Zootopia 2. 

I bet many studios will use the strike excuse to change their movies that need to be fixed like Snow White.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You know, I admit to being grumpy last night, but I do want to caution something.

For all of the people who "just want this to end" and not drag into next year (and I'm right there with you), there is one thing worse than talks collapsing right now and the strike dragging into next Jan.

It's if SAG Leadership takes a deal now... and it is rejected by the rank and file If that happens, and it has happened during more than one labor strike that has lasted longer than the current SAG one, then it is possible, given the egos involved (this is Hollywood after all) this shit all blows up and it drags on out to Feb or March or April next year.

In Hollywood?

Also idk I'm not getting the sense that there's a large extremist contingent of SAG lol Even that letter last night was extremely, extremely vague and not exactly screaming "GIVE US THAT REVENUE SHARING FROM THE STUDIOS!!!".

They weren't explicitly asking for anything in particular, and it does lead me to believe that they'd probably take what Duncan and Fran end up considering a "fair deal" unless it's a god-awful one which at this point I really, really doubt it'd be. The strike has had enough of an effect I do expect that if a deal gets made it'd be one where the studios conceded enough to declare it a victory.

I get the scenario you're proposing  but it's so unlikely it's not even worth the stress of entertaining it. 

Edited by 21C