Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Plus, I feel like allowing the Tonys to go on unscripted this year is considered a blessing in disguise to many because it diminishes the chance of another Ariana DeBose rap. :lol:

WDYM, her BAFTA rap was a blessing to awards season, gave everyone who saw it a moment to laugh (vs fighting about winners/snubs). And she might be even cringier when forced to improvise...

The Peabodys were only ever been a televised awards show in the mid-2010s and not exactly on prominent channels, but they do award TV (among other mediums).

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

On 5/17/2023 at 2:35 AM, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like being a pessimist. But I’m afraid that the strike and we as people might be one year too late. I’ve been seeing some stuff that A.I. is doing both mimicking art (namely stealing other artists styles and etc) and writing that is batshit insane. Not sure if any regulations will be anything more than a band-aid.

Kinda haunting thought, but Skynet is already here. And I’m only half joking.

And I think there is a lot of hysteria over AI. Yes it is problem but I don;t see AI replacing writers anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And I think there is a lot of hysteria over AI. Yes it is problem but I don;t see AI replacing writers anytime soon.

The problem isn’t whether it technically can or can’t (probably not right now, maybe more aspects down the road), it’s that the studios *think* it can, and will happily destroy the industry to dive into that nasty tech rabbit hole. It’s the “pivot to video” for the entertainment biz. 

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The problem isn’t whether it technically can or can’t (probably not right now, maybe more aspects down the road), it’s that the studios *think* it can, and will happily destroy the industry to dive into that nasty tech rabbit hole. It’s the “pivot to video” for the entertainment biz. 

🎵 They took the credit for your second symphony 🎵

🎵  Rewritten by machine and new technology 🎵

🎵 And now I understand the problems you can see... 🎵

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Exactly like what happened with streaming too. 

It was inevitable that some form of it would be integrated into the business eventually. 

But studios were so dazzled by tech moguls and the dream of infinite growth/no numbers accountability that they almost destroyed the entire ecosystem of Hollywood in the frenzy to immediately switch over. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Thank God I read an awful lot and am not totally dependent on mass media fro my entertainment.

7 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Basically how I see it. What @dudalbsee as "anytime soon" is how long? Ten years? Twenty? I wasn’t believer that A.I. could evolve as fast as it did the last few years. But it’s getting to some absurd levels and it will affect writers and artists across all media, it isn’t isolated to films and tv shows. Like Tele said, it’s a "pivot to video" moment, and it needs to be regulated. Fast. 

I mean, this shit right here is scary:

Pepe Larraz is Marvel’s biggest and hottest artist right now. How long until A.I. is commercialized and used to replace actual writers, actors, artists and etc.? The proper time to regulate this shit is now.

Needs further proof? Here you go:

Yeah NFT is a scam. But A.I. is actually evolving faster than most of us can predict. Ignoring the recent A.I. developments and just saying "it’s fine" could  be catastrophic. Either 10 or 20 years. Whatever "anytime soon" will mean.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

How long until A.I. is commercialized and used to replace actual writers, actors, artists and etc.? The proper time to regulate this shit is now.

How long, indeed.

second disclaimer should probably be noted in that this isn't an actual Tesla ad, but some rando's mock up of one, though one Elon Musk called attention to and approved of on Twitter.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

How long, indeed.

second disclaimer should probably be noted in that this isn't an actual Tesla ad, but some rando's mock up of one, though one Elon Musk called attention to and approved of on Twitter.

It’s rudimentary and bad, but it shows what deep fake by randos can do. How long until this is weaponized in politics and elsewhere? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/03/05/ai-voice-scam/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

How long, indeed.

How dare you forget the JFK-Democrat Meet Kevin? I swear this guy tried to make that stupid line a thing during the recall.

I support the strike but I feel the creative community is too late to stop what’s already happening. I was put out of work as a projectionist 12 years ago when movies switched from film to digital (a switch that was mainly funded and pushed by the studios, not the cinemas). That should have been an early warning to everyone in the film industry that the studios’ relentless pursuit of cheaper technologies was going to put everyone below the executive level’s job at risk. Thanks to the decline of physical media, studios can now remove content from being watched anywhere with a press of a button, meaning they no longer have to pay royalties for movies and TV shows with small followings. Within the next 10-15 years it’ll be possible to use AI to create Hollywood blockbusters without actors, writers, or any talent at all. Yes the movies will be soulless, but the average audience member won’t care as long as it has the IP they like in it.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1