keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (4/17-20)

10 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Yeah even of the examples Johnny listed, 38% is the biggest gap between critics and audience. I don’t recall a signature film that has had a gap like that. Even Rise of Skywalker was 36%.

At the same time, the RT verified audience rating is pretty skewed now. May as well see it as a scale of 80 to 100 instead of 0 to 100 because it’s difficult for a film to get anything below that range.

96% is very high for a rotten film though.

But yeah The Rise of Skywalker getting an 86% audience score is ridiculous which is why I find the fairest score an average between the critic's and the audience's.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I don't want to dispute any of this but I also do think it bears noting that yes, this is a genuinely bad rating.  if you throw in a ">50 million DBO" filter for 21st century animated films, Super Mario places something like 100th out of ~140 in RT and ~125th in Metascore (I grabbed a pre-pandemic dataset so numbers could raise/fall after those are added in). 

If you're a 10th percentile score, you're doing poorly relative to peers. 

Here is I think the crux of the issue: is Mario being reviewed as a true animated film like that peer group, or perhaps, even on a subconscious level by adults who remember the games from their childhood, against their internal vision of some live action/CGI version - say like Transformers or even Barbie  - and falling short of those expectations by being, in fact a true kids/family film? 

That SNL parody Mario trailer was a hit precisely because people could imagine that type of film being made, but that’s just not what was being sold here. Nobody went into an Ice Age review screening expecting some kind of Jurassic Park story 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, M37 said:

Here is I think the crux of the issue: is Mario being reviewed as a true animated film like that peer group, or perhaps, even on a subconscious level by adults who remember the games from their childhood, against their internal vision of some live action/CGI version - say like Transformers or even Barbie  - and falling short of those expectations by being, in fact a true kids/family film? 

That SNL parody Mario trailer was a hit precisely because people could imagine that type of film being made, but that’s just not what was being sold here. Nobody went into an Ice Age review screening expecting some kind of Jurassic Park story 

Agree but Ice Age is an odd example because here's how they were received by critics at RT...

Ice Age 77%

The Meltdown 57%

Dawn of the Dinosaurs 46%

Continental Drift 37%

Collison Course 18%

...which is actually, aside from the first one, worse or considerably than Super Mario Bros. Movie's 58%.

I don't think there's much to read into this... SMBM was always going to be critic proof unless heinously bad. It's 40+ of nostalgia built up, it's loaded with Easter eggs and winks for fans, it's a sugar rush for kids and it's a HUGE brand that everyone enjoys and is familiar with getting its first proper film, well, ever really. It's not surprising that somewhat less discerning audiences are enjoying it much more than somewhat more discerning critics. Transformer is was a good example you gave. Same type of thing there too. 

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

When over 40% of critics refuse to recommend a movie that 96% of the audience enjoyed then it kind of suggest that a large chunk of critics are out of touch.

Who watches Super Mario and concludes that families should avoid it? It's like assuming people would prefer asparagus over cotton candy at a carnival.

Every negative reviews I’ve read for Mario have said clearly the target audience and fans will enjoy it, just it’s not good, can we not do the critics hate fun shtick?

Edited by YM!
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Agree but Ice Age is an odd example because here's how they were received by critics at RT...

Ice Age 77%

The Meltdown 57%

Dawn of the Dinosaurs 46%

Continental Drift 37%

Collison Course 18%

...which is actually, aside from the first one, worse or considerably than Super Mario Bros. Movie's 58%.

I don't think there's much to read into this... SMBM was always going to be critic proof unless heinously bad. It's 40+ of nostalgia built up, it's loaded with Easter eggs and winks for fans, it's a sugar rush for kids and it's a HUGE brand that everyone enjoys and is familiar with getting its first proper film, well, ever really. It's not surprising that somewhat less discerning audiences are enjoying it much more than somewhat more discerning critics. Transformer is was a good example you gave. Same type of thing there too. 

My point was the bar was - again, even perhaps at a subconscious level - was probably lower for something like Ice Age because it wasn’t seen as anything more than a kid flick, and graded on that curve

Mario being a much more well-known and long-standing IP had loftier potential, and while it appears by audience scores to be doing just fine for the younger audience and their parents, it’s from all accounts not really as adult friendly as the likes of Incredibles, Train Your Dragon, or even the Despicable Me franchise. Reading between the lines (as we haven’t seen it), it’s really just a kids movie, and while an entertaining one, not anything more, and I think that’s what is facilitating lower critic scores 

1 minute ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

359mil total means a bit over 5.8mil monday so 10% above the number that was already 10% above what Charlie thought

ERC’s rounding can be … suspect, so could be $5.6/$5.7, and just shy of $359. All we really know is between $5.6 and $5.9

46 minutes ago, YM! said:

Every negative reviews I’ve read for Mario have said clearly the target audience and fans will enjoy it, just it’s not good, can we not do the critics hate fun shtick?

By definition isn't a good Mario Bros movie a film that families and fans enjoy?

I'm not sure why that would warrant a thumbs down.

It's like saying "metal fans will love this heavy metal record but soccer moms won't like it, so"...

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

By definition isn't a good Mario Bros movie a film that families and fans enjoy?

I'm not sure why that would warrant a thumbs down.

It's like saying "metal fans will love this heavy metal record but soccer moms won't like it, so"...

Emoji Movie should entertain families but is it a good movie? Quantumania and Shazam: Fury of the Gods do their job at entertaining but are they good?

They’re literally dozens of better just fun kids movies that have come out within the past ten years with better reviews. I’m a lifelong Mario fan and I enjoyed it as a 3/5 or C-tier Dreamworks movie with some damn fun setpieces and fun enough time at the theaters but its plot and pacing aren’t really good (I also was hoping for it to be funnier considering the talent apart from Bowser) and the beats are generic. I can easily understand why critics aren’t over the moon and tbh I think in a situation if the same movie was all original idea, it probably wouldn’t have the same fervor in fans.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

Emoji Movie should entertain families but is it a good movie? Quantumania and Shazam: Fury of the Gods do their job at entertaining but are they good?

They’re literally dozens of better just fun kids movies that have come out within the past ten years with better reviews. I’m a lifelong Mario fan and I enjoyed it as a 3/5 or C-tier Dreamworks movie with some damn fun setpieces and fun enough time at the theaters but its plot and pacing aren’t really good (I also was hoping for it to be funnier considering the talent apart from Bowser) and the beats are generic. I can easily understand why critics aren’t over the moon and tbh I think in a situation if the same movie was all original idea, it probably wouldn’t have the same fervor in fans.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree cause I don't believe Thr Emoji Movie or Ant-Man 3 satisfied the target audience.

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I think we can conservatively hope for 7.5m today. Obviously the closer to 6m the better the hope. 

Sonic 2 dropped 29% Sunday, 83% Monday and then increased 27% Tuesday.

Let’s say Monday is 5.75. That means a 27% increase on Tuesday would be 7.3M.

I’m going to predict 7M for right now. I can’t see it keeping Sonic 2’s pace throughout the week because if it did that would give us an $80M third weekend… which doesn’t make sense at all. It will more than likely be ~$60M.

• Like 1

All that should matter is who.enjoys the movie. The critics don't even pay to watch it..so their giving their opinion for free yet act all,offended that a movie dare please fans...and I'm really tired of hearing about 'nostalgia'...nostalgia means something ancient that hasn't been relevant. Mario has been relevant  to me  for 35 years. 

Same thing with 'fan service'. If you aren't aiming to 'check boxes' then what are you aiming for? Your aim is to make money (let's get real here) and your not gonna do that by alienating a fanbase

Edited by screambaby