keysersoze123

Weekdays Thread (4/17-20)

9 minutes ago, YM! said:

Emoji Movie should entertain families but is it a good movie? Quantumania and Shazam: Fury of the Gods do their job at entertaining but are they good?

They’re literally dozens of better just fun kids movies that have come out within the past ten years with better reviews. I’m a lifelong Mario fan and I enjoyed it as a 3/5 or C-tier Dreamworks movie with some damn fun setpieces and fun enough time at the theaters but its plot and pacing aren’t really good (I also was hoping for it to be funnier considering the talent apart from Bowser) and the beats are generic. I can easily understand why critics aren’t over the moon and tbh I think in a situation if the same movie was all original idea, it probably wouldn’t have the same fervor in fans.

Emoji movie had horrible audience scores

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well we'll have to agree to disagree cause I don't believe Thr Emoji Movie or Ant-Man 3 satisfied the target audience.

I do agree that Mario isn’t the same quality (could’ve used better comparisons like the Ice Age movies or live action remakes) but my point still stands. 

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

By definition isn't a good Mario Bros movie a film that families and fans enjoy?

I'm not sure why that would warrant a thumbs down.

It's like saying "metal fans will love this heavy metal record but soccer moms won't like it, so"...

Yup. They made a Mario Bros movie for people that love Mario. They didn’t pander to the few that aren’t into it. Too many film versions of beloved properties have had corners cut to appeal to everyone outside the circle.

This easily could have been Mario and Luigi in the real world, needing a family and searching for stars in New York or some shit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Yup. They made a Mario Bros movie for people that love Mario. They didn’t pander to the few that aren’t into it. Too many film versions of beloved properties have had corners cut to appeal to everyone outside the circle.

This easily could have been Mario and Luigi in the real world, needing a family and searching for stars in New York or some shit. 

Detective mario

• Like 2

Moderation

Yeah we're done with this whole "critics were wrong" stuff for Mario. It's not funny, never was funny, never will be funny, and will just lead to you all talking in circles in a desperate attempt to defend a corporate product.

Believe it or not, people are allowed to dislike a silly kids movie about plumbers and turtles and you don't have to throw temper tantrums over critics saying mean things about a corporate product designed to sell toys and theme park tickets. Please stop with this, or you warning points will be thrown around.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

Moderation

Yeah we're done with this whole "critics were wrong" stuff for Mario. It's not funny, never was funny, never will be funny, and will just lead to you all talking in circles in a desperate attempt to defend a corporate product.

Believe it or not, people are allowed to dislike a silly kids movie about plumbers and turtles and you don't have to throw temper tantrums over critics saying mean things about a corporate product designed to sell toys and theme park tickets. Please stop with this, or you warning points will be thrown around.

Thank you. Was the main reason I started to avoid this thread. It was getting unbearable. I love the movie, but critics are allowed to like or dislike whatever they want. That review thread was close to two weeks ago people. Move on.

Edited by Starrow5722
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

Moderation

Its not a silly kids movie

its a 4 quad monster lol

Personally the mario movie had a ton of fan service which I find critics dont like.

However if done right fan service is cat nip to fans.

Edited by Torontofan

It’s funny, even with such low weekdays, the movie would go over 70m this weekend with Zootopia style increases. Not quite predicting that, but it’s also not crazy either given the way it held over this past weekend resembling a smaller scale well liked family film on a massive scale. 

I don't see why its all of a sudden going to perform worse than Sonic. 

It kept momentum in its first weekend after burning $60M of demand Wed/Thu with kids off.

It kept momentum in its second weekend after burning $260M through 9 days.

Why should it lose it now?  

$75M Over/Under 3rd weekend.

• Like 1