filmlover

CinemaCon 2023: 4/24-27

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

It would be funny to me if all these click bait-y bloggers got blocked at the door for the actual event (the lobby where they have all the posters/standees up for public display they have no problem with). It's already confirmed they're having extra security this year to prevent another "Olivia Wilde being served custody papers during the presentation" moment.

agree. 

The mere fact Campea flat out ruined Spider-Man and then claimed he didn’t realise the pics were ‘real’ that he’d been sent before he put them online - told me all I needed to know about the guy. He put a potential spoiler in the headline of a Guardians 3 video only last week. Despite tons of people complaining in the comments he didn’t change it. Anything for clicks. 

I’ve no issue with mild spoilers in videos if they’ve given you warning before you click on them. But outright spoiling in video headlines and pictures you can’t avoid online - unacceptable.

he also frequently makes box office forecasts like they’re magically his own, when he’s just lifted them straight from analysts etc. it’s painful how obvious it is. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

What trailers do you guys think we'll get?

Aside of The Flash and Transformers? I think Disney might drop a final trailer for The Little Mermaid since it's a month apart. Maybe Oppenheimer gets something too. Also this is more a wish than a prediction but some scoopers have been talking about Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes trailer during this month so I hope this is the date.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Aside of The Flash and Transformers? I think Disney might drop a final trailer for The Little Mermaid since it's a month apart. Maybe Oppenheimer gets something too. Also this is more a wish than a prediction but some scoopers have been talking about Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes trailer during this month so I hope this is the date.

Oppenheimer MUST release another trailer. Nolan is also getting an award, i'd be very disappointed with no new trailer.

23 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Paramount needs to start focusing on MI DR, Transformers is reportedly a mess while you hear nothing but glowing things about the former, Cruise stock is as high as its been in a while and you have to capitalize

That’s exactly why Transformers needs more marketing dollars. MI franchise is in good shape so Paramount doesn’t really need to go that hard. 

19 minutes ago, babz06 said:

That’s exactly why Transformers needs more marketing dollars. MI franchise is in good shape so Paramount doesn’t really need to go that hard. 

I mean if transformers movie is ass then it's best to focus on something that audiences will care about, same way WB did with flash over shazam 2

9 hours ago, Maggie said:

Sony has been releasing stills from Gran Turismo these past few weeks so a trailer bow here seems all but guaranteed (also makes sense as their attachment with Fast X next month). Footage/trailers for the majority of the fall/holiday titles will likely be withheld from the public until later as usual.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Maggie said:

New trailers for Transformers and The Flash are already confirmed. Other than that I expect trailers for Oppenheimer, Gran Turismo and The Meg to be released online.

Trailers for Dune, Wonka, Aquaman and footage for Across the Spiderverse, Little Mermaid, Barbie, Elemental, Mission Imposible Dead Reckoning are probably gonna be shown, but won't be published online.

As I recall there's usually a mix of things released to the public and things withheld for the attending audience's eyes only. Sometimes stuff is released in the weeks following like the Avatar 2 teaser last year.

Elemental is about due for one final trailer so I expect that'll be shown there. 

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I dunno, it's what really started to send Top Gun Maverick buzz in to overdrive last year. 

All events where audience has a privilege to see something in advance of everyone else (test screenings, premiers, convention footage/trailer/other, etc) are hit and miss re: boxoffice predictions. Because people get overly excited that they are seeing something before everyone else and many times in the presence of the stars. And many times they are also a select audience that's most likely to like the screened material. So there will be enthusiasic reactions to genuinly good movies/trailers and enthusiastic reactions to not so good ones but fuelled by excitement of having seen them so early. It's not very conclusive. I'd say negatives are more genuine cause if all these advantages couldn't make the audience give a movie or footage a pass than it gotta be pretty bad. 

Lets not forget that Avatar and AWOW got mixed reactions ranging from nothing special/more of the same to mindblowing. We know how that ended. I read somewhere that when first Avatar and Kick Ass premiered their trailers at some geek event (SDCC? Cinemacon?other?), Kick Ass won the crowd and it wasn't even close. Tells you all you need to know.

Edited by Valonqar

With the threat of a WGA strike less than a week from now looking more likely than not, I imagine the studios will most likely just focus on stuff that they already have in the can/likely to make its date this year vs. any big announcements. Maybe they'll show off something from Ghostbusters if they have anything from it (it's currently set to release around Christmas but filming began just last month) but I'm not expecting more than a sizzle reel of movies for stuff past this summer. Same with WB and their big fourth quarter slate (Dune 2, Wonka, Aquaman 2, The Color Purple).

WB is definitely banking on an enthusiastic reaction to the Flash screening here I imagine. Sometimes seasoned critics can find their way into a Cinemacon crowd though so you might be able to pick out a more level-headed reaction here and there.

Random posters on a box office forum ofc are just as prone to excitement as anyone so don't think there's much stopping the pie in the sky box office predictions.

Edited by AniNate