Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

1 hour ago, Lestranger said:

Evil Dead was a fantastic experience. Try to see it with a full house. People were yelling and screaming. The best type of theater experience with a rowdy crowd. Film is not a masterpiece, but it is definitely one of the better horror films put out in recent years. A must for anyone who likes the Evil Dead vibe, as much comedy as horror and buckets of gore. 

Is it truly a reboot? Or do I need to re-watch the others before tomorrow night?

1 hour ago, Starrow5722 said:

Is that a good number for week 3?

Yes. 

Its not high enough for the uber speculative "Avatar's 3rd weekend" talk from Monday, but its a fantastic 3rd Friday for an animated film outside of summer and will definitely lead to somewhere in the 50-60 range depending on how high Saturday's increase goes. 

I'd personally say it wont go higher than 52-55m (14m +60% Saturday and -30% Sunday on the low end) but its bested great expectations already in weekends 1 and 2 so it could be a great surprise this time as well. 

So I2 gain $21m over Mario in the past 4 mid-week days. Assuming Mario hit 60m this weekend, Mario will crawl back another $14m over I2, resulting in $436m vs $440m showdown between Mario and I2 by end of the 3rd week. 

9 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So I2 gain $21m over Mario in the past 4 mid-week days. Assuming Mario hit 60m this weekend, Mario will crawl back another $14m over I2, resulting in $436m vs $440m showdown between Mario and I2 by end of the 3rd week. 

Comes with the caveat that that's 2 more days for Mario compared to I2 since it released on Wednesday

• Like 1

I'm going to be processing Beau is afraid for a while.

It was like being inside the mind of someone who took LSD to work out their crippling anxiety and mental issues for 3 hours.

I cannot imagine this is going to play well with audiences. An F cinemascore wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 2

14M would be a good number for Mario (still, i hope it increases a little bit more), 10M is also very good for Evil Dead, that should be enough for a 20M+ weekend, as long as Sat and Sun dont see too big of drops.

llumination/Universal’s The Super Mario Bros Movie, of course, remains a huge reason to go to the movies in its third sesh, which is looking at $13.5M today (-40% from a week ago), and a third weekend of $56M at 4,350 theaters, -39%, sending the Nintendo movie to $432.1M by Sunday. Big theater average over $12K here.

And despite two horror movies going at it last weekend, Universal’s Renfield and Screen Gems’ The Pope’s Exorcist, which both filed in the high single digits, the arrival of a third this weekend is proving reason for horror fans to go out as they’re spending $9M+ today (including Thursday night’s $2.5M previews) and between $18M-$22M over three days for the Sam Raimi-executive produced Evil Dead Rise. Rivals see the pic’s three-day higher, but like all horror films, it comes down to Saturday night as business typically is frontloaded for such fare.

3) Guy Ritchie’s Covenant (MGM) 2,611 theaters Fri $2.1M, 3-day $5.7M/Wk 1

4) John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 2,685 theaters Fri $1.4M (-33%), 3-day $5.3M (-34%), Total $168.4M/Wk 5

5.) Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (Par) 2,960 theaters, Fri $1.35M (-31%), 3-day $5.2M (-30%), Total $82M/Wk 4

6) Air (AMZ) 2,823 theaters Fri $1.4M, 3-day $5.1M (-35%), Total $41.4M/Wk 3

‘Super Mario Bros’ Shooting Past $400M; ‘Evil Dead Rise’ Aims For Around $20M Opening – Friday Box Office Update

• Like 2