Eric Prime

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

Since the subject of IMAX/PLF screens has come up, these are the confirmed releases between two weeks from now (Guardians has those screens until then) and end of July:

5/19: Fast X

5/26: The Little Mermaid

6/2: Spider-Man

6/9: Transformers

6/16: The Flash, Elemental (only getting regular PLFs, and almost certainly for the afternoon only)

6/30: Indiana Jones

7/12: Mission: Impossible

7/21: Oppenheimer, Barbie (also only getting regular PLFs and sure to be another daytime/nighttime split)

7/28: Haunted Mansion (also regular PLFs only, Oppenheimer has IMAX until Gran Turismo on 8/11)

Not a lot of breathing room for sure, but the majority of these movies are bound to have a significant opening weekend rush causing a big second weekend drop anyway.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I gotta say. Forcing Captain Marvel to be the leader in Endgame would've been a huge mistake.

The fans were attached to RDJ because he carried the franchise since day one and has tons of charisma.

I wasn't against Brie having a bigger role but every major character needed some limelight. There wasn't alot of time to spare.

No one says she should've been the leader of the Avengers in Endgame, but she should've been part of the team. There should've been more interactions between her and Stark, Thor, etc., but they reduced her to a cameo.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that Dune would have made 500-600m WW if it was released in better conditions. So the sequel making 600+ doesn't feel like an over-estimation to me.

At this point, Hunger Games is probably making more than Marvels. Marvels probably makes less than 200 DOM like the 2021 MCU movies.

If I was Disney I’d be extremely worried with The Marvels. There’s negative buzz to that film almost no one I know like the first trailer. And Captain Marvel was not a universally liked movie, it had the benefit of coming out right before Endgame and that’s a big reason why it made a lot of $$$. Right now under $400M might be possible for that.

Edited by JohnCarterofEarth

17 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Glad I2's domestic animated crown seems safe now. Don't think Mario had business taking that, but will be happy for it/the market if it still manages $600m.

what are you talking about?

The Mario movie is head and shoulders better than I2

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 3
  • Knock It Off 2

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Agreed. Incredibles 2 is one of the most forgettable films which is odd because I rember I liked it when I watched it, I just remember literally nothing about it now. It left no inpression.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

If I was Disney I’d be extremely worried with The Marvels. There’s negative buzz to that film almost no one I know like the first trailer. And Captain Marvel was not a universally liked movie, it had the benefit of coming out right before Endgame and that’s a big reason why it made a lot of $$$. Right now under $400M might be possible for that.

No way it does under 400m ww. It’ll probably land in the 700-800m area 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

23 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I’m not an I2 fan but there’s at least 10 mainstream animated movies this decade and two Illumination films this decade that are better than Mario. If Mario was an all original work, I doubt it’d have the same momentum.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, YM! said:

there’s at least 10 mainstream animated movies this decade... ...that are better than Mario.

Yes.

and two Illumination films this decade that are better than Mario.

Woah, hey now, let's not take this too far.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

Yes.

Woah, hey now, let's not take this too far.

Definitely thought Rise of Gru was A LOT better than Super Mario. That said, I'd put it right alongside Sing 2. Who did Bad Guys? If that's them, then that's comfortably ahead of Super Mario too.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Definitely thought Rise of Gru was A LOT better than Super Mario. That said, I'd put it right alongside Sing 2. Who did Bad Guys? If that's them, then that's comfortably ahead of Super Mario too.

Bad Guys was Dreamworks. I liked Sing 2 more than Mario but Rise of Gru was a bit worse imo than Mario. That's just personal preference though.

• Like 1