Eric Prime

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think sub 50 (more like 46-48%) 

The WOM kicking in now instead of hype pre-release boosting OW will probably generate spillover for weekdays which will be strong and lead to a smaller drop on 2nd weekend 

I’m on the sub 50% boat too because of that. If we see great holds this week and it goes sub 50% then I’ll irrationally throw myself onto the $400M club. 🫡

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Thank you. 
But I think those are the estimates. 
I meant actuals (or as close to actuals as you can get on a Sunday evening). 

Oh, i think our trackers didn’t bother tracking them closely atp, probably only in 12-14 hours or so to see the actuals.

• Like 2

My updated top 5 would be

1. Endgame

2. Infinity War

3. Civil War

4. Winter Soldier

5. GOTG3

GOTG3 was freakin incredible. So glad they put Gunn in the kitchen by himself and let him absolutely COOK

Edited by mmed1345
  • Like 1

Had a great time! 9/10 movie, theater crowd 2/10. 

Having a row of 13~ year olds behind me making comments the whole movie. A family coming into the movie 20 minutes late and standing looking for seats for a minute or two. Someone from that same family using a vape, texting on their phone, and taking a picture with the flash on during the movie. Also all those kids behind me clapped at the end which I thought was strange but *shrugs*. Probably see it again at some point where I won't be as distracted.

I think I would still rank GOTG 1 first in my ranking of the trilogy with GOTG 3 a close second and GOTG 2 not super far behind.

Edited by NannerManCan
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, mmed1345 said:

I’m on the sub 50% boat too because of that. If we see great holds this week and it goes sub 50% then I’ll irrationally throw myself onto the $400M club. 🫡

Probably best case would be following IM1 from Sun to ~385.   

FWIW IM1 had harder competition…

36 minutes ago, mmed1345 said:

My updated top 5 would be

1. Endgame

2. Infinity War

3. Civil War

4. Winter Soldier

5. GOTG3

GOTG3 was freakin incredible. So glad they put Gunn in the kitchen by himself and let him absolutely COOK

Top 4

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

4 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Monster hold for Guardians. Maybe the best Sunday hold ever for MCU with normal workday tomorrow.

If true from EC

Well Ultron actually had 11% Sunday drop lol.

The best comparison going forward could be Thor Ragnarok. Both are third in their franchise and are really well received. 119m vs 122m opening with 32m Sunday's. 

Thor 3 ended with 315m domestic (but suffered extreme competition in its 3rd weekend against Justice League).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

The best comparison going forward could be Thor Ragnarok. Both are third in their franchise and are really well received. 119m vs 122m opening with 32m Sunday's. 

Thor 3 ended with 315m domestic (but suffered extreme competition in its 3rd weekend against Justice League).

Good call. I had been looking at Gotg2 and IM1 most heavily but will add Rag in. Going to be a bit bumpy with veterans 2nd weekend then JL then thanksgiving vs mdw but still interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

WOM is saving it. Extremely good hold for SUN but pretty predictable given not that great THU/FRI…

Not really. Plenty of people said 120 was practically impossible and now it's only a million off.