The Wild Eric

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

OS numbers are great, not only 400M seems likely now, but depending of legs it can try 450M 

Very sad that DOM is being so disappointing, i’m counting WOM will push it over 300M in the end, but still deserved much more.

• Like 1

Safe to say that GOTG3's disappointing DOM BO has absolutely nothing to do with James Gunn.

Seems to me like he did the job he was hired to do very well. The underperformance is all Marvel's fault and only theirs.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

What narrative? GA doesn't know about gossip. If anything hurts The Marvels that's title that omits CM,  bland af trailer and limp dick team. This is not the all-star team but CM and 2 Literal Who's, one that barely anyone remembers from Wandavision and the other that barely anyone knows cause barely anyone watched her flop show. I don't know why Marvel thought this was a good idea. Maybe they expected that Monica and Kamala would blow up thanks to D+ shows but that was counting chickens before they hatched. Just stupid. Anyway, it's what it is. DUNC II and shockingly Songbirds and Snakes released much stronger trailers with real hooks. They should not worry. 

That narrative is definitely hurting it, but what hurts it more is that Captain Marvel herself is not an established character in the MCU; they had the opportunity to establish her through Endgame. People mostly buy tickets seeing the face of the main lead character in case of superhero movies; they don't much care about who is the 2nd or 3rd lead, and people know Captain Marvel is the lead, so it doesn't matter much that people didn't watch Ms. Marvel. Yes, changing the title causing an awareness problem, but interest itself is low, as evident by the low trailer views.

Edited by Willowra

It´s interesting because pre Ant-Man 3 the OS gross was the biggest problem for Marvel. While domestic didn´t reach full potential we still saw big grosses while OS just keep going down and down. Here it´s domestic that will be that disappointment while OS while actually be not that bad. Don´t underestimate how important this was to not lose the OS markets completely. 

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The OW number is awful, but that was known 30 days ago but good thing is reception is back to phase 3 levels.

need a couple more like these.

As I've said before, early word on Secret Invasion and Loki Season 2 are quite good, so they should help. The Marvels could be a problem if it brings back the Phase 4 jank that turned moviegoers away, but that one can go either way. It's one of the biggest wildcards for the franchise in recent times.

7 Air (AMZ) 1,632 (-770) theaters Fri $388k (-62%) 3 day $1.63M (-59%), Total $50.5M/Wk 5

😎 Dungeons & Dragons (Par) 1,751 (-958) theaters Fri $372K (-64%) 3-day $1.48M (-65%), Total $90.9M/Wk 6

9) Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant (MGM) 1,807 (-824) theaters Fri $339K (-65%) 3-day $1.34M (-63%) Total $14.9M/Wk 3

10) Sisu (LG) 1,006 theaters, Fri $300K (-78%) 3-day $1.03M (-69%) Total $5.49M/Wk 2

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

i mean that would be really good but with sequel frontloading and Fast X opening in two weeks I think 700m is the goal and more likely 

no way. 750 mill is the floor IMO with that WOM

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

i mean that would be really good but with sequel frontloading and Fast X opening in two weeks I think 700m is the goal and more likely 

OS performance so far is not behaving like a typical sequel, Fast X impact is reasonable tho

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Safe to say that GOTG3's disappointing DOM BO has absolutely nothing to do with James Gunn.

Seems to me like he did the job he was hired to do very well. The underperformance is all Marvel's fault and only theirs.

Absolutely. This movie was coming off the worst MCU year ever in terms of reception, a year that had 2022 8 projects and then the disaster that was Ant-Man 3. It´s all on Disney/Marvel and not Gunn. He did his job and because of that this movie won´t bomb totally.

Just disastrous holdovers tbh. This seems to be a stronger trend this year than usual with each major release. When Mario opened everything had an awful weekend despite the holiday boost.i don't remember holdovers dropping this much with each new blockbuster in the past. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Maybe... but I'm not holding my breath. They have been on a downward trajectory and word is especially bad on Fast X.

Fast X should still open decently especially internationally and will take screens away from GOTG