Eric Prime

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

So this is problematic to say, but my general sense of Little Mermaid compared to the other Disney remakes has always been that it is much more "girlie" a property. Not to make myself look bad, but I wasn't going to see this movie with the adult male friends I saw Aladdin and Lion King with. It just doesn't have the action-adventure elements the other Disney remakes had, and obviously the demographic data reflects that it crossed over way less. I think the casting of Halle actually probably saved Little Mermaid from doing something more like 75m by making it a movie for little girls of all races, not just little white girls. Not to say the toxic racism didn't have an impact, of course.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So this is problematic to say, but my general sense of Little Mermaid compared to the other Disney remakes has always been that it is much more "girlie" a property. Not to make myself look bad, but I wasn't going to see this movie with the adult male friends I saw Aladdin and Lion King with. It just doesn't have the action-adventure elements the other Disney remakes had, and obviously the demographic data reflects that it crossed over way less. I think the casting of Halle actually probably saved Little Mermaid from doing something more like 75m by making it a movie for little girls of all races, not just little white girls. Not to say the toxic racism didn't have an impact, of course.

Could say the same for Beauty and the Beast in terms of appealing more to young females than stuff like Jungle Book, Lion King, Aladdin. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Could say the same for Beauty and the Beast in terms of appealing more to young females than stuff like Jungle Book, Lion King, Aladdin. 

I think that had the novelty of being the first one of the Renaissance films to get remade, though if you flipped TLM and BATB in the release calendar it might flip their totals.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2023/05/box-office-the-little-mermaid-1235380526/

Deadline's current Mermaid numbers are impossible...

Friday $38M

Saturday $30M

Sunday $36M

Total $104M 3 day.

In what world does Mermaid increase 20% on Sunday?  

Edit to add - that's their chart.  They have the $97-$98 3 day embedded in the article.  Someone didn't want to adjust stuff this morning...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Friday $38M

Saturday $30M

Sunday $36M

Total $104M 3 day.

I'm guessing they had that Sunday number written after Friday based on Aladdin and just didn't change it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Friday $38M

Saturday $30M

Sunday $36M

Total $104M 3 day.

Wow I guess A LOT of people were watching basketball /s

• Like 1

2) Fast X (Uni) 4,088 (+42) theaters, Fri $6.3M (-78%), Sat $8.5M Sun $8.1M Mon $5.67M 3-day $23M (-66%), 4-day $28.6M, Total $113.6M/Wk 2

4) The Super Mario Bros Movie (Uni) 3,148 (-392) theaters, Fri $1.69M (-29%) Sat $2.4M Sun $2.1M Mon $2.06M 3-day $6.27M (-35%), 4-day $8.3M, Total $560.6M/Wk 8

5) The Machine (Leg/Sony) 2,409 theaters, Fri $2.2M Sat $1.4M Sun $1.2M Mon $915K 3-day $4.9M, 4-day $5.8M/Wk 1

6) About My Father (LG) 2,464 theaters, Fri $1.46M Sat $1.45M Sun $1.34M Mon $1M 3-day $4.25M 4-day $5.25M/Wk 1

7) Kandahar (OR/Briar) 2,105 theaters, Fri $920K Sat $745K Sun $745K Mon $590K 3-day $2.4M 4-day $3M /Wk 1

😎 You Hurt My Feelings (A24) 912 theaters Fri $474K Sat $481K Sun $433K Mon $377K 3-day $1.389M 4-day $1.76M/Wk 1

9) Evil Dead Rise (NL) 921 (-1,252 theaters) Fri $300K (-57%) Sat $385K Sun $367K 3-day $1.05M (-57%) 4-day $1.3M Total $66.4M/Wk 6

10) Book Club: Next Chapter (Foc) 1,339 (-2,174) theaters, Fri $250K (-73%), Sat $320K Sun $330K Mon $270K 3-day $900K (-70%) 4-day $1.17M, Total

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There is nothing wrong with saying that and I think there has been a lot of truth to that all along. There's a little bit less of a "cool" factor in TLM than in TLK and Aladdin because it is SO female oriented. They may also have been a little bit heavy handed on the fact that this is a film finally for little black girls.

That said, how does it explain the success of BatB though? Did the Beast and Gaston make it more male-friendly?

But, to think that a few days ago people wondered if it could make $400 mill domestic and now wonder about $300 mill is a very quick downturn. Posting $100 million for the OW will look so much better for Disney than something between $95-$99 million. The former can be touted as a triumph. The latter feels like a misfire.

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I just think Beauty and the Beast is more iconic and has more nostalgia with an older crowd and the Emma Watson factor helped a ton as well (a nostalgic brand combined with an actress which is attached to the HP nostalgia definitly helped, nostalgia SELLS).

The Little Mermaid doesn't have much appeal to young male kids. It is what it is. I think Halle had no effect. What you lost because of racism you gained on the black crowd. You probably gain more as is because I honestly think the people who didn't went to a movie which is essencially the same just with a lead of a different race wouldn't have gone anyway and as is you gained a ton of a appeal to a more diverse crowd.

Again, I think people are factoring way too much of a racism effect into this than what in reality happened. 99% of people don't care. This isn't Strange World or Lightyear, those bombed for a different reason. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

There is nothing wrong with saying that and I think there has been a lot of truth to that all along. There's a little bit less of a "cool" factor in TLM than in TLK and Aladdin because it is SO female oriented. They may also have been a little bit heavy handed on the fact that this is a film finally for little black girls.

That said, how does it explain the success of BatB though? Did the Beast and Gaston make it more male-friendly?

But, to think that a few days ago people wondered if it could make $400 mill domestic and now wonder about $300 mill is a very quick downturn. Posting $100 million for the OW will look so much better for Disney than something between $95-$99 million. The former can be touted as a triumph. The latter feels like a misfire.

No. BatB is a quintesential romance much more so than TLM. Disney honoring the fancasting of Emma Watson that started after Goblet of Fire really proppeled the hype. Watson isn't a draw on her own but she was a huge added value for BatB. The movie was a perfect date movie that families enjoyed too. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't BatB a Broadway musicla like TLK that many countries played on their stages as well? That kept the buzz for both IPs alive.

Edited by Valonqar