Eric the IF

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

8 minutes ago, screambaby said:

I apologize for saying something bad but just to add to this he should probably be in prison rather then attending the premiere.

At this point, I just hope my interpretation of the reporting around Miller is just wrong because that's a world in which fewer people in truly marginalized and incredibly vulnerable positions are being abused and exploited.

These are just truly disturbing claims surrounding, sex, violence and drug use. Given Miller's clear mental health troubles, Miller's attitude towards guns and other weapons is also well attested to be concerning. I really hate the cynical bullshit WB's pushing by seemingly successfully getting people to run with "Miller's problems are solved by admitting to needing therapy and not being seen in public for 10 months." That's just not consistent with what's actually been alleged about Miller's behavior. They're just not addressing the worst stuff and defining what Miller's been accused of down to stuff much less serious. [end rant].

• Like 1

You know what? Fuck everything. I'll do one better:

Guardians 3>Shazam 2+Flash+Blue Beetle combined worldwide.

I genuinely can't think of a brand more toxic and dead than DC right now. I can't help but feel like hyping this movie up so much is going to bite James Gunn in the ass hard when Superman Legacy is ready for release. They need to scrub any and all references to the DC name from that movie's marketing if they want it to even break even.

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I genuinely can't think of a brand more toxic and dead than DC right now. I can't help but feel like hyping this movie up so much is going to bite James Gunn in the ass hard when Superman Legacy is ready for release. They need to scrub any and all references to the DC name from that movie's marketing if they want it to even break even.

The Batman did well. Gunn's Superman thing isn't going to have any reference to the DCEU stuff but be a new thing. If anything's toxic, it would be the DCEU stuff not the DC itself. The characters, especially Batman and Superman, aren't tarnished themselves... Just people weren't super high on the Superman and Batman movies with Cavill and Affleck.

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The Batman just did very well last year. lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Maybe he meant DCEU and yeah the DCEU is a very toxic brand if Shazam 2, Black Adam and now this hasn't already showed.

Then, I'm not sure I'm understanding how Muschietti's the next Batman movie or Gunn's Superman movie which are both from my understanding recasting everything and reimagining the visual tone, etc. for those DC characters in those movies with Gunn at the helm as producer have to do with the DCEU. Flash is the end of the DCEU... At least the initial first wave of it. 

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The Batman did well. Gunn's Superman thing isn't going to have any reference to the DCEU stuff but be a new thing. If anything's toxic, it would be the DCEU stuff not the DC itself. The characters, especially Batman and Superman, aren't tarnished themselves... Just people weren't super high on the Superman and Batman movies with Cavill and Affleck.

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

The Batman just did very well last year. lol.

The thing is, Batman is an institution all of his own, independent of the larger DC brand. And even then, I'd argue that movie suffered because of how badly audiences were burned on Zack Snyder's Batman.

• Like 1

DC movies Preview:

Shazam 2 - 3.4M (3pm for recent three titles

Black Adam - 7.6M 

The Batman - 21.6M (4M from TUE & WED

The Suicide Squad - 4.1M (7pm

Bird of Prey - 4M (6pm

Joker - 13.3M (4pm

Shazam - 5.9M (4pm

Aquaman - 9M (5pm

Justice League - 13M (6pm

Wonder Woman - 11M (6pm

Lego Batman - 2.2M (4pm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Prime said:

Wow, the guy who runs DC Films would say a film he is about to release is amazing? Almost like it’s his job to push these movies and that it would be weird if he trashed it or said it was mid or whatever.

Also it’s been known for years, decades in fact, that test screenings are not an exact science and don’t always correlate to audience/critical reception. Why are we ganging up on this random movie over this?

You guys are acting so weird over this.

People acting weird on these forums? That never happens. 

12 hours ago, emoviefan said:

That's the thing.  On their own Flash and Elemental are underperforming but with all the movies in theaters the biz is doing just fine. People have choices and this is a good thing for the overall health of theaters.

This Father's Day will be an improvement over last year regardless of Elemental and Flash performances. Last year only 3 movies grossed more than 10M, Doctor Strange coming in fourth place with only 4M, and only SIX movies grossed more than 1M.

This weekend we are having 5 movies (with a chance of a sixth one) grossing 10M+ each and the top 10 above 1M

This is also an improvement over Father's Day 2019 when there were also only 3 movies above 10M+

Fwiw, and know others have midpoint lower, I’m still sitting on a ~6.5x IM expectation. Something like +80%/+7%/-5% 

If preview does indeed come in at $10M+, wouldn’t rule out $70M+ on high end just yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure if it is Disney movies are becoming stale to the GA, They are appealing more to Disney Adults than kids, or if it is better to wait for Disney PLus or the combination of all 3. But Elemental is just another sign that the Disney Brand certainly isn't as strong as it used to be.

Lightyear should have been a fun campy homage to 90s action  and sci-fi movies that i can see Andy loving, not this weirdly dark and grim thing that it turned out to be. It is like it was made for Disney Adults if you know what i am saying.

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Then, I'm not sure I'm understanding how Muschietti's the next Batman movie or Gunn's Superman movie which are both from my understanding recasting everything and reimagining the visual tone, etc. for those DC characters in those movies with Gunn at the helm as producer have to do with the DCEU. Flash is the end of the DCEU... At least the initial first wave of it. 

We've seen Andy's vision style. That's what The Flash is.

• Like 1

At least Flash underperforming probably saves us from other studios copying this movie's promotional campaign. Had this movie actually gone over $100M we probably would've had to hear Bob Iger declare that The Marvels was the Godfather of super hero films at the next Disney earnings call, Sony would be leaking to the Hollywood Reporter that Tom Hanks just can't get enough of Kraven the Hunter, and James Patterson would be tweeting that he doesn't normally like these kinds of film but Aquaman 2 made him cry.

• Like 7
  • Haha 7