Eric Furiosa

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

10 minutes ago, El Gato said:

When was the last time a weekend thread where a DC film opened up, went drama/controversy free? 

The Dark Knight Rises.

Even Wonder Woman released in the storm of critical commentary around Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad.

Why ... why is this also the World War 3 Thread? Did i miss something?

Anyway, im here for the Flashbomb. I never really understood some of the high predictions fot this. In any case though, this is a rough "new start" for DC.

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

With 10 million Previews, i guess my 59 million prediction is gone in smoke.

And btw this 59 million prediction was made back in May. I saw through all the attempts made by WB to create hype.

59 is very on the table if it does come in 10

On 6/2/2023 at 10:56 AM, WorkingonaName said:

Flash $17M previews confirmed.

I said BIG previews ...

Maybe it matches Mermaid at $10.3

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

E6JGZcmWYAcj8NV.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eric Prime said:

Wow, the guy who runs DC Films would say a film he is about to release is amazing? Almost like it’s his job to push these movies and that it would be weird if he trashed it or said it was mid or whatever.

Yeah, it's an executive's job to overhype aspects of a film in order to get attention/interest in the film up. But you're downplaying specific story here. 

"Audiences will respond to this film in the way they responded to Top Gun: Maverick" is clearly the film's main marketing pitch (heck, they literally planted a story in variety whose combination of text and subtext was that Flash had Tom Cruise's blessing). 

To be fair, some of this is due to Miller. WB strongly pushed the "Keaton is back, baby!" line but if they're selling the specific emotional beats of the film, they're talking explicitly about Ezra Miller. Most films don't sell "this is literally the greatest thing since sliced bread." If Miller didn't have multiple restraining orders taken out by parents of minor children, a history of menacing women, a history of assaulting women, accusations of grooming, accusations of sex cult stuff, etc. The Flash's marketing pitch for "this is a great movie" would be talking a lot more about the mother-son bond in the film.

The more normal way to sell a film as great is to lay down priming for specific scenes or emotions not the cut straight to saying "GOAT"

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

The Dark Knight Rises.

Even Wonder Woman released in the storm of critical commentary around Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad.

Do you not recall the horrific incident that happened during Dark Knight Rises previews?

I will say, the last normal DCEU weekend was probably the original Shazam. Just pleasantly above modest expectations, for a smaller, self contained story. No big implications on other films.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

The Dark Knight Rises.

It had the Colorado shooting that changed Thursday previews forever.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Why ... why is this also the World War 3 Thread? Did i miss something?

Just a joke in regards to how…touchy things have been about this movie for the past few weeks.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Yeah, it's an executive's job to overhype aspects of a film in order to get attention/interest in the film up. But you're downplaying specific story here. 

"Audiences will respond to this film in the way they responded to Top Gun: Maverick" is clearly the film's main marketing pitch (heck, they literally planted a story in variety whose combination of text and subtext was that Flash had Tom Cruise's blessing). 

To be fair, some of this is due to Miller. WB strongly pushed the "Keaton is back, baby!" line but if they're selling the specific emotional beats of the film, they're talking explicitly about Ezra Miller. Most films don't sell "this is literally the greatest thing since sliced bread." If Miller didn't have multiple restraining orders taken out by parents of minor children, a history of menacing women, a history of assaulting women, accusations of grooming, accusations of sex cult stuff, etc. The Flash's marketing pitch for "this is a great movie" would be talking a lot more about the mother-son bond in the film.

The more normal way to sell a film as great is to lay down priming for specific scenes or emotions not the cut straight to saying "GOAT"

I apologize for saying something bad but just to add to this he should probably be in prison rather then attending the premiere.

27 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

It had the Colorado shooting that changed Thursday previews forever.

I was talking in terms of lightweight box office drama/controversy, but yeah... that was on a whole another level. Actual serious stuff.

So, I guess the last actual DC movie that released in a totally positive atmosphere, that was critically and commercially very successful, and made the future seem very bright was...

...The Dark Knight.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Trackers are confident previews are in the 9.5 to 10.5 range for Flash?

That range is probably a smidge too high, maybe knock $2-$300K off, but generally yes. Over $9M, maybe over $10M is the general consensus 

• Like 2