Eric Duncan

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

So they tested it many times with incredible scores and that's the result? Those are some very misleading test-screenings or maybe it never tested that well and it was just an aggressive marketing campaign, nothing more than that. Gunn called it one of his favourite movies ever and one of the best comic book movies ever made in a korean promo and yet when he was asked about his favourite comic book movies during Guardians 3 promo tour he didn't even mention it in his top 10. Just very odd.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

So they tested it many times with incredible scores and that's the result? Those are some very misleading test-screenings or maybe it never tested that well and it was just an aggressive marketing campaign, nothing more than that. Gunn called it one of his favourite movies ever and one of the best comic book movies ever made in a korean promo and yet when he was asked about his favourite comic book movies during Guardians 3 promo tour he didn't even mention it in his top 10. Just very odd.

Dungeons and Dragons tested well too and didn't do great box office. Happens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Gunn just recently tweeted that The Flash is his favourite movie this summer. Nothing odd.

The film was good but the brand is so damaged.. which definitely impacted box office as well.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Dungeons and Dragons tested well too and didn't do great box office. Happens.

But D&D was very well received by both critics and audiences, and this one wasn't, both critics and audience reception seems to be ok, but not amazing. If it gets B+ CinemaScore, those reports will look very suspicious since it didn't deliver for both.

I'll be honest (Though I'm going to dip and not say much else until we get more since I could full out be wrong) I do not think this is going to get the word of mouth people are saying. The verified audience score on RT has dropped already from the 88% it was a few hours ago to 87%, twitter seems incredibly divided about it (I know, not a great metric but using it in conjunction with other stuff), and in general I'm not getting this massive WOM hit vibe. Even Rise of The Beasts last week, while not having out of this world WOM, I was seeing a lot of "Oh that was fun" kinds of reactions and the RT audience score was rising on Thursday and Friday, not declining. Anyways that's all I'll say for now. When we have further numbers I'll chime in I guess.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Gunn just recently tweeted that The Flash is his favourite movie this summer. Nothing odd.

It's odd when he specifically used "ever" and not season or year in other videos. And what "favourite movie this summer" even means when summer just started.

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

But D&D was very well received by both critics and audiences, and this one wasn't, both critics and audience reception seems to be ok, but not amazing. If it gets B+ CinemaScore, those reports will look very suspicious since it didn't deliver for both.

Not sure about suspicious. You're reaching a bit. It is still being received well enough by critics and audiences just not as well as it was in the test screenings. No need conspiracy theories here.

4 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It's odd when he specifically used "ever" and not season or year in other videos. And what "favourite movie this summer" even means when summer just started.

Not sure what you are trying to get at here... Think you are looking too deep into this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not sure about suspicious. You're reaching a bit. It is still being received well enough by critics and audiences just not as well as it was in the test screenings. No need conspiracy theories here.

It's barely positive, far from amazing or incredible, I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to question those reports after this reception. Outstanding test-screenings and all the marketing hype about some unbelievable quality should result in something better than this.

• Like 1

Wow, the guy who runs DC Films would say a film he is about to release is amazing? Almost like it’s his job to push these movies and that it would be weird if he trashed it or said it was mid or whatever.

Also it’s been known for years, decades in fact, that test screenings are not an exact science and don’t always correlate to audience/critical reception. Why are we ganging up on this random movie over this?

You guys are acting so weird over this.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

Wow, the guy who runs DC Films would say a film he is about to release is amazing? Almost like it’s his job to push these movies and that it would be weird if he trashed it or said it was mid or whatever.

Also it’s been known for years, decades in fact, that test screenings are not an exact science and don’t always correlate to audience/critical reception. Why are we ganging up on this random movie over this?

You must be very tired. :hahaha:

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Superman Legacy under Man of Steel worldwide :whosad:

I'm actually relatively optimistic about Legacy's box office chances - if it's a good film. Man Of Steel underperformed because it was a very divisive film. It also tried to ape The Dark Knight, which was a huge mistake. If Gunn can make a Superman film that presents the character in a more audience friendly manner, then I can see it being a huge success. Especially as it will be completely divorced from the DCEU, which, let's face it, has never been particularly liked by the audience from day one.

10 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

This.

9 minutes ago, El Gato said:

When was the last time a weekend thread where a DC film opened up, went drama/controversy free? 

At this point I need to start making my low end predictions my high in predictions when it comes to DC. 

Wonder Woman probably