Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

He got that advice from Leonardo Dicaprio.  DiCaprio is from a different era. If he was an up and coming actor now he would definitely be doing superhero films or franchise ip. 

DiCaprio would have been robin in Batman Forever had Odonnell not beaten him for the role. 

4 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I imagine the only animated movies you'd be up for the theater for are the unique ones, right? Although there aren't many of those anymore.

I'm not totally against franchises I'd be down for an Incredibles 3.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

He got that advice from Leonardo Dicaprio.  DiCaprio is from a different era. If he was an up and coming actor now he would definitely be doing superhero films or franchise ip. 

DiCaprio, the weird old man that dates women up to 25 year old? Yeah, between Armie Hammer and DiCaprio young Tim is in good company.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

I'm not totally against franchises I'd be down for an Incredibles 3.

honestly, I wouldn't be. Even if they got Brad Bird back.

Very much over Pixar sequels unless they appeal directly to me.

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm part of the brainwashed masses because all upcoming pixar/disney animation productions sound like wait for streaming to me.

Me, too.  It just screams "Disney 90s/00s straight to DVD sequel releases."  Maybe it's b/c I lived through those, and the only cute one was Lion King 1 1/2...which I would not have paid to see, but as a video, it was nice...

• Like 1

Is sub-20m on the cards for TF7? Fast X jumped from $3m -> $23m in its second weekend but that was almost a month ago when school was still in session. ATSV had a 5.44x 2W/Thu multiplier last weekend and while this weekend is a pseudo holiday the WOM and drops in general along with the competition is painting a really bad picture for TF7.

18 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like Timothée. Knowing fully well how hard he tried for the Spider-Man role only for him to disdain superhero projects like it was beneath him rubbed me the wrong way. He has kind of a good look for Nightwing but nah, let him be the next Josh Hartnett.

That's because he is above them. We really don't need to have everybody trapped in the superhero industrial complex.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I said before that for me Soul - Luca - Turning Red was just as good a three movie run as any in peak Pixar, but probably only Soul I would've definitely watched in cinemas if given the chance Luca and Turning Red didn't appeal to me in their advertising but I loved the movies when i got around to them.

Wouldn't it have been perfect counter-programming if it was Soul releasing today in theaters, and not Elemental...

Man, I need to rewatch Soul this weekend:),,,

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

:kitschjob:

Huh... I actually really enjoyed the Flash movie I just came out of. After all the controversy I expected the DC equivalent to Morbius, but I was honestly very pleasantly surprised. It has plenty of issues but I can honestly see why Gunn enjoyed this and is entrusting Andy with his Batman.

I guess if you went in with Morbius expectations... But, yeah, not like it's getting panned. Consensus is that it's generally well liked by both critics and, from early metrics, audiences as well. I'm not sure why you'd se the bar so low?

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

DiCaprio, the weird old man that dates women up to 25 year old? Yeah, between Armie Hammer and DiCaprio young Tim is in good company.

Who cares? He's also one of the few actors who can actually sell a movie with just his name. So yeah, he's getting advice from the right people

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

That's because he is above them. We really don't need to have everybody trapped in the superhero industrial complex.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Who cares? He's also one of the few actors who can actually sell a movie with just his name. So yeah, he's getting advice from the right people

thor-of-course.gif

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Wouldn't it have been perfect counter-programming if it was Soul releasing today in theaters, and not Elemental...

Turning Red would be a perennial counterprogramming because so many movies are male-dominated.

I think the only real female-ish movie this summer is Barbie.

PS - Looking at the Posttrak, WOM seems tepid for both movies - a 69% recommend (Elementals) isn't much higher than 60% (Flash) - I mean, how do you like a movie (at 4.5 stars), but not recommend it?  Something seems off there...

Or I guess the raters saw this as a movie with only narrow appeal (aka to them)...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Soul was great, I thought it was a top tier pixar movie but being a streaming release and just the timing with how Pixar are perceived now it probably won't have the legacy as some of their classics which is a shame. Pre-Covid I thought it was gonna be huge but I do think it'd still struggle if it came out now. It's by far their most adult movie in a lot of ways i dunno how that plays. Still would've done better than Elemental though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:
  •  
  •  

Transformers is getting buried this month, not a good idea to release a "so-so" movie during such a packed summer. Out of all the blockbusters this year i've heard the least amount of buzz about it. Could have done a little better in September/October.

Edited by AfterHours