Eric S'ennui

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

tbf all it takes to be the Golden Boy at WB at this point is to not be 99% drama

I hope his relationship with Kylie Jenner doesn't change that. No man survives that family.

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

It makes it entertaining...and both bombs were seen from a mile away (okay, they might tick out of bomb to flop - that's still TBD on legs)...

Going with 220mil budget Flash needs 550mil to hit profit, that's going to be difficult even if Asia seems to like it 

Just now, cannastop said:

I definitely think Disney wants to return to the days of billion dollar grossers rather than slash budgets.

Why else would they make Toy Story 5, Zootopia 2, and Frozen 3 a thing.

I have a feeling all of these underperform. They feel way to desperate to be successful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

I have a feeling all of these underperform. They feel way to desperate to be successful. 

I have a feeling they will all make a billion dollars ww.

The only one I actually want to see is Zootopia 2 though.

Edited by cannastop

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I definitely think Disney wants to return to the days of billion dollar grossers rather than slash budgets.

Why else would they make Toy Story 5, Zootopia 2, and Frozen 3 a thing.

All of those are $1B grossers, yes. Maybe not Z2. But I’d definitely watch on a movie theater the first two and well, you gotta be naive if you think that Frozen 3 wouldn’t blow up.

Just now, excel1 said:

Not if it means they're under investing in the right type of quality. 

You’re seeing animation produced globally thats fantastic, and somehow doesn’t manage to cost $200m. There’s enough evidence to tell you animated movies made cheaper can surpass that of expensive productions. 
I, as a viewer, truly cannot tell you what’s going into these Pixar movies that requires it to cost $100m more than Mario and Spider-Man. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i'm part of the brainwashed masses because all upcoming pixar/disney animation productions sound like wait for streaming to me.

damn sad.

can't blame you. I'm just weirdly hung up on one of their recent hits.

:kitschjob:

Huh... I actually really enjoyed the Flash movie I just came out of. After all the controversy I expected the DC equivalent to Morbius, but I was honestly very pleasantly surprised. It has plenty of issues but I can honestly see why Gunn enjoyed this and is entrusting Andy with his Batman.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not sure why there seems to be a disconnect between domestic audience versus overseas audiences?

Here in Asia - i am see incredible audience scores for The Flash; legit best DCEU movie levels across China, Taiwan, HK, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia to name a few...

And having watched the film; I genuinely think it was great. CGI was not as wonky as people are saying.

But seems that domestically - the postrac and RT audience scores are a little underwhelming currently?

Outside of some Asia countries the scores have been worse than expected. Not just US/Canada. Early response/results to the film have been pretty poor in both Europe and South America.

I've noticed the volumes in Asia have been pretty low, maybe it is just the big fans going to see it so they are happy.

Isn't China's opening looking to be less than 1/2 TF?

Just now, WorkingonaName said:

I don't see TS5 making a billy, TS4 only made it about $70M over and I don't think it really left anyone clamouring for more.  

they said the same about the previous time Toy Story made a movie.

Just now, cannastop said:

damn sad.

I think there is still time for Pixar to make a comeback. But you do have a point for Toy Story 5, for example. That’s a generational thing, I love those films more than anything that they have ever done except maybe Up!. The growing pains of streaming will eventually sort itself out, imho.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm part of the brainwashed masses because all upcoming pixar/disney animation productions sound like wait for streaming to me.

I imagine the only animated movies you'd be up for the theater for are the unique ones, right? Although there aren't many of those anymore.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

damn sad.

I said before that for me Soul - Luca - Turning Red was just as good a three movie run as any in peak Pixar, but probably only Soul I would've definitely watched in cinemas if given the chance Luca and Turning Red didn't appeal to me in their advertising but I loved the movies when i got around to them.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like Timothée. Knowing fully well how hard he tried for the Spider-Man role only for him to disdain superhero projects like it was beneath him rubbed me the wrong way. He has kind of a good look for Nightwing but nah, let him be the next Josh Hartnett.

He got that advice from Leonardo Dicaprio.  DiCaprio is from a different era. If he was an up and coming actor now he would definitely be doing superhero films or franchise ip. 

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t like Timothée. Knowing fully well how hard he tried for the Spider-Man role only for him to disdain superhero projects like it was beneath him rubbed me the wrong way. He has kind of a good look for Nightwing but nah, let him be the next Josh Hartnett.

angry josh hartnett GIF

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

I said before that for me Soul - Luca - Turning Red was just as good a three movie run as any in peak Pixar, but probably only Soul I would've definitely watched in cinemas if given the chance Luca and Turning Red didn't appeal to me in their advertising but I loved the movies.

I still gotta watch Soul. Since that was directed by Kemp Powers from Across the Spider-Verse fame I’m definitely missing out. Way too many options of entertainment and so little time though. I still gotta watch Black Mirror before finally cancelling my Netflix subscription and I have like an insane backlog of films, series and games ahead of me. I’ve been playing Jedi Fallen Order and having a blast on the PS5, hopefully until I finish that Jedi Survivor gets a promo or something during the US Summer.