Eric Lasagna

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

7 hours ago, vinny2487 said:

The worst thing to happen to DC was WB's decision to forge ahead with Justice League when they had tiny window to cancel it after BvS opening weekend. Snyder should've been fired once those 2nd weekend numbers dropped. 

I'd argue they should've rebooted the moment those first dailies for the Martha scene came in. But, as @BestPicturePlutoNash pointed out, a lot of wheels were likely already turning before filming wrapped for that, so I guess they were fucked from the get go.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'd argue they should've rebooted the moment those first dailies for the Martha scene came in. But, as @BestPicturePlutoNash pointed out, a lot of wheels were likely already turning before filming wrapped for that, so I guess they were fucked from the get go.

I think they literally started filming Justice League the week after BvS dropped in cinemas. The absolute hubris of it. They could have just about stopped it before cameras started rolling, but it would have cost them millions just to do that. I'm sure at least some of the talent had pay or play contracts.

• Like 4

I won't argue if BVS should be blamed for the later collapse of the DCEU because that doesn't make any sense to me, but I just feel like some people not letting go of the insanely high standards for success they demand from DC is only going to put an unfair amount of pressure on James Gunn and his future DCU. The franchise should just make big, profitable movies, which is what the Snyder run at DC did, but instead people online demand billion-dollar grosses, certified fresh ratings, and above A cinemascores, just because the MCU for so long had a perfect run like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

I think they literally started filming Justice League the week after BvS dropped in cinemas. The absolute hubris of it. They could have just about stopped it before cameras started rolling, but it would have cost them millions just to do that. I'm sure at least some of the talent had pay or play contracts.

Before Snyder directed the DCEU, this man had already made 3 TIMES box office bombs for Warner, but Warner still gave him Man of Steel, may be they might have a dirty deal.

• Like 1

Snyder hasn’t had a theatrical release DC movie since 2016. Plenty of DC movies came out after and were able to do well despite BvS.  I’d say WW84 was actually the death knell for the DCEU since so many were expecting that movie to be great

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Negativity is a pespective. I don't understand what is the problem with wanting trash/mediocre films NOT to do well. It's not the case that great, highly acclaimed films are getting rejected by audiences. There is nothing wrong people rooting for quality films.

Some of these films already had a baggage and needed great WoM to overcome certain obstacles and unfortunately it wasn't happening. I'm not saying that all of these summer films are bad, but it is clear that they are certainly not great and the poor box office proves that.

Box office is not dead just because underwhelming films are disappointing. You'll see fireworks with MI:DR,. BARBIE and OP next month.

A lot of people on here seem to thrive on hyperbole and negativity such as pulling Blue Beetle, Aquaman or Elio which no sane studio is going to do. 

I think getting BvS and Suicide Squad back to back killed all the hype of the DCEU, but they were already too invested, there was still droves of people going to watch these films (even if they missed their goal projections) and the massive success of Wonder Woman and Aquaman only made things more complicated. There was a good time, right after Justice League bombed, when it felt like WW and AQ would be the only continuing franchises and everything around them would slowly reboot (and The Flashpoint-inspired Flash film was always intended to play a role in that), but the lack of solid leadership led to multiple projects produced by stars to move forward (Birds of Prey, Black Adam seeing the light of day eventually).

Honestly, The Flash bombing seems pretty obvious; this incarnation of the character debuted six years ago in the failed Justice League film that was the big event of the failed DC cinematic universe (seven, if you count his cameos in BvS and Squad). That's the last thing most casual fans and moviegoers remember - ZSJL is a whole other story. By comparison, Doctor Strange had 4 crowd pleasing appearances in acclaimed films in the five and a half years it took for him to get a sequel since his 2016 debut.

Edited by toutvabien

Despite The Flash not doing well, I don't think DC as a brand is doomed. Blue Beetle in August has the advantage that it's not connected to the past and has a quite a simple premise plus it's a whole lot cheaper as well. 

Okay. Complete hypothetical, not movie in production.
Say WB did a Keaton Batman movie in the style of Logan or something that was completely unconnected to the DCEU and was JUST about Batman and his attempt at a "last ride" in a doomed Gotham.

You can say "Keaton isn't Tom Cruise" or whatever but I seriously think THAT would have made money. Of course it would also have to be genuinely good like Logan was but I think it's stupid to write off Keaton's Batman as they did.

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Despite The Flash not doing well, I don't think DC as a brand is doomed. Blue Beetle in August has the advantage that it's not connected to the past and has a quite a simple premise plus it's a whole lot cheaper as well. 

No one thinks DC is doomed due to Flash underperforming.

It was already doomed before Flash.

15 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Okay. Complete hypothetical, not movie in production.
Say WB did a Keaton Batman movie in the style of Logan or something that was completely unconnected to the DCEU and was JUST about Batman and his attempt at a "last ride" in a doomed Gotham.

You can say "Keaton isn't Tom Cruise" or whatever but I seriously think THAT would have made money. Of course it would also have to be genuinely good like Logan was but I think it's stupid to write off Keaton's Batman as they did.

It could work. With that said that ship has apparently sailed with The Flash.

UNIC Report 

The top 6 most pirated films of 2022 – 
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Doctor Strange in the 
Multiverse of Madness,

Top Gun: Maverick,

Jurassic 
World Dominion,

Thor: Love and Thunder and Black 
Adam – had their piracy demand peak in the same 
month of their launch on a streaming platform.

Look at this old fart trying a Scorcese with John Fucking Wick. What’s with these old directors and gratuitously trashing popular films? Jealousy? Oh as a veteran my fucking ass, my dude

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Look at this old fart trying a Scorcese with John Fucking Wick. What’s with these old directors and gratuitously trashing popular films? Jealousy? Oh as a veteran my fucking ass, my dude

You guys gotta stop getting so offended over old directors not liking current block-busters lmfao

• Like 8