kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

5 minutes ago, LegionGPT said:

Just helped out elemental a little, hope it can make a run to 150 even though I know it’s pretty ambitious

I think there is a scenario where this does happen, which is more then I can say about it two weeks ago when I would called this crazy.

11 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

This is a weird take. 
Suicide Squad was a massive box office flop, and Black Adam is going to outgross The Flash but quite a margin. Also, Ezra’s crime spree was front and center last summer, more so than it is right now. 

Maybe we just need to accept that The Flash was destined to flop. 

Suicide squad was far from a flop buddy. $745 million worldwide, $325 million domestic on a budget of $175 million? That's far from a flop.

11 minutes ago, LegionGPT said:

Can’t wait for the 3rd movie, The The Suicide Squad

I love James Gunn. I love The Suicide Squad. But other than Killar being an idiot with the day and date release, calling it The Suicide Squad was a boneheaded pretentious decision. I do know people that haven’t watched The Suicide Squad because they throughly hated the first film and just assumed it was the same shit as the first one, despite my insane amount of praise singing to that film.

• Like 2

More to my previous post: I kinda have an issue with people blaming on Birds of Prey for The Suicide Squad’s failure to engage with a bigger audience. The overall feeling I got from my non comic book or superhero films fans is that they hated BvS / Suicide Squad a lot. Not really that troubled with either Aquaman or Wonder Woman - despite knowing people that never saw those either - but particularly didn’t like either BvS or Suicide Squad to the point they checked out of the two franchises altogether.

Also in relation to my friends that I use as a metric to see how the GA feels about films: they seem kinda put off following the Disney+ MCU shows, but also never really even watched Mandalorian or any of the major critical darlings, superhero or otherwise: from The Last of Us to Sandman, WandaVision, Loki, Ted Lasso and etc.. Favorite MCU film since Phase 4 started seems to be a toss between Spider-Man: No Way Home, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and what I feel it’s interesting is that a lot of people that I know that love MoM didn’t even really watched WandaVision. People’s urgencies to watch MCU projects at least from my anecdotal experience varies a lot. Like, I know people that are insanely excited for Deadpool 3 with Wolverine, but never cared about Ant-Man films to the point they actually never watched one of them. People seem to understand that a multiverse Avengers film is coming, but question me what to binge for when that comes, stuff like Loki and etc..

My point bringing this up is this: at least from my own anecdotal experience, my friends that aren’t that big in superhero films don’t show up to a lot of the MCU films, but do show up for the major ones. Marvel Studios actual strength isn’t really that ALL the films and series have the same degree of popularity, but with people looking forward to the actual big guns, if that makes sense. It’s a series of several franchises interweaving and feeding off each other, more than just one MCU experience.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Would calling it Suicide Squad 2, or Suicide Squad: Squad Reloaded, The Re-Up have changed anything? Scream (2022) and other sequels have done the no name change (which I hate personally) and not seen any box office dips. 

I’d argue that horror films are able to get away with that also because the previous films were actually well liked and because there are different expectations when it comes to horror and superhero films. I don’t know if calling it Suicide Squad 2 or Suicide Squad: Reloaded or what have you would be better, but that film existed on a such nebulous zone: is this a reboot? Is this the same DCEU universe? Is this the actual first film being released once again, what is WB is even trying here. I feel like confusing your audience isn’t a good thing, and I do think that calling The Suicide Squad did that. The Batman was different because it was an obvious clear departure of what came last.

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Would calling it Suicide Squad 2, or Suicide Squad: Squad Reloaded, The Re-Up have changed anything? Scream (2022) and other sequels have done the no name change (which I hate personally) and not seen any box office dips. 

Different reasons. Suicide Squad probably does better with a total rename/reconcept.

The Suicide Squad was fucked from the get go just by being a sequel to the reviled 2016 Suicide Squad. Add in the lukewarm reception to Birds of Prey, a deadly global virus and the radical changes said virus brought about, and that movie never stood a chance. Even without the virus I feel like it would've struggled to reach even $300M worldwide.

19 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The Suicide Squad was fucked from the get go just by being a sequel to the reviled 2016 Suicide Squad. Add in the lukewarm reception to Birds of Prey, a deadly global virus and the radical changes said virus brought about, and that movie never stood a chance. Even without the virus I feel like it would've struggled to reach even $300M worldwide.

Yeah, TSS was boned out of the gate. Had so much going against it.

Let's face it, it should never have been made. If Gunn wanted to do a team up movie at DC, he should have done The Authority there and then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Let's face it, it should never have been made. If Gunn wanted to do a team up movie at DC, he should have done The Authority there and then.

I’m kinda glad it happened. We got two Harley Quinn good films at least, also Peacemaker is an awesome show. Wouldn’t be mad if Bloodsport eventually does shows up in Superman Legacy either. 

It’s obviously clear to me that Elba’s Bloodsport role was supposed to be played by Will Smith’s Deadshot though. It’s painfully obvious, down to the argument Bloodsport had with his kid at the prison call. It wouldn’t save the film if Deadshot was still around, but it’s just yet another of those things that adds up to the feeling of ‘wait, haven’t we seen this film before? I remember it sucking the first time around’.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

i mean, wb was gonna make a suicide squad movie with or without Gunn. He was just the hired gun(pun not intended). 

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

10 years with no DC films at all is not going to happen. Hell, even Sony only waited three years after TASM2 to reboot Spider-Man.

What people expect from studios is simply laughable from a business standpoint. I feel like a lot of the YouTube influencers making think pieces about ‘What is wrong with the MCU’, ‘What is wrong about the DCU’ are the new Cinema Sins and shouldn’t be giving more credit than any average user on any given message board. WB wants their shared universe to call their own because it brings brand fidelity, not just to follow the MCU’s trend. What the MCU did is here to stay just like the Star Wars universe is here to stay since the 70s. 

Not all films will perform equally, but WB DC wants is their own Star Wars universe, their own MCU. Simply because the world building aspect to those is profitable in long term, to the point that it doesn’t really matter if the MCU we see twenty years from now is radically different than the one we are getting now. Those thinking this is just a fad that won’t last long are simply not paying enough attention. The reason superhero films won’t go the way of the westerns is because unlike those, there is an actual world building and shared universe going for it. It’s a lot more like Star Wars than people give it credit for. 

With capable people behind the DCU, it’s a matter of time for them to get that going for them as well. Every ten years simply retelling Batman’s origin story or Superman’s isn’t sustainable and also an waste of the rich storytelling that the DC Universe has to explore, hence why we’ll certainly get to the point of soft reboots for both universes eventually, but the tradition of following a shared universe world in film is likely sticking around.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What people expect from studios is simply laughable from a business standpoint. I feel like a lot of the YouTube influencers making think pieces about ‘What is wrong with the MCU’, ‘What is wrong about the DCU’ are the new Cinema Sins and shouldn’t be giving more credit than any average user on any given message board. WB wants their shared universe to call their own because it brings brand fidelity, not just to follow the MCU’s trend. What the MCU did is here to stay just like the Star Wars universe is here to stay since the 70s. 

Not all films will perform equally, but WB DC wants is their own Star Wars universe, their own MCU. Simply because the world building aspect to those is profitable in long term, to the point that it doesn’t really matter if the MCU we see twenty years from now is radically different than the one we are getting now. Those thinking this is just a fad that won’t last long are simply not paying enough attention. The reason superhero films won’t go the way of the westerns is because unlike those, there is an actual world building and shared universe going for it. It’s a lot more like Star Wars than people give it credit for. 

With capable people behind the DCU, it’s a matter of time for them to get that going for them as well. Every ten years simply retelling Batman’s origin story or Superman’s isn’t sustainable and also an waste of the rich storytelling that the DC Universe has to explore, hence why we’ll certainly get to the point of soft reboots for both universes eventually, but the tradition of following a shared universe world in film is likely sticking around.

DC is more than just movies which is why this idea that they'll go dark for a decade is frankly ridiculous. WB has the Rocksteady Suicide Squad game coming out next year for example and I would imagine WBPA will likely use a DC character or two for their animated movies. 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DC is more than just movies which is why this idea that they'll go dark for a decade is frankly ridiculous. WB has the Rocksteady Suicide Squad game coming out next year for example and I would imagine WBPA will likely use a DC character or two for their animated movies. 

That game is unfortunately DOA though. Following the GaaS Destiny’s trend so hard for years is one of the dumbest decisions that WB Games has ever done. It’s Crystal Dynamics The Avengers all over again, and at least I kinda had fun with that one for a while.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Most people are calling for the movies specifically to go dark though. They don't mind the brand continuing in more niche spaces like comics, animation and video games. They just want the brand to take a long break on film to fully wash away the bitter taste of this DCEU.

The Suicide Squad should have been the characters going after Black Adam in his film, instead of the Justice Society. Perfect opportunity for a crossover. That was one of the many examples of the mismanagement of the DCEU under Walter Hamada, and the reason everyone stopped caring about this franchise.

• Like 2