Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

I never get why people complaining about cinema pricing. Yes, it goes up like everything else. Reality is that it is still the cheapest form of entertainment. Try opera, ballet, theatre, concert, sports game, amusement park and see how much your wallet shrinks. They are all different tiers cost above. Even certain museums charge more for exhibition admissions. I mean the vultures that is Disney were charging fortunes for a single photo on a ride that is nearly as much as a matinee cinema ticket. Theatres have to charge premium for concession, because certain distributors charge ridiculous amount just for exhibiting a film.  Then the studio will also take majority of a revenue.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I just remembered that I said I would shave my head if Barbie opens to $10 million previews.

looking at the current numbers, I’ve come to the conclusion that I have made a mistake.

You know, some people look good bald. Statham, Taye Diggs, The Rock. You'll be fine.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I never get why people complaining about cinema pricing. Yes, it goes up like everything else. Reality is that it is still the cheapest form of entertainment. Try opera, ballet, theatre, concert, sports game, amusement park and see how much your wallet shrinks. They are all different tiers cost above. Even certain museums charge more for exhibition admissions. I mean the vultures that is Disney were charging fortunes for a single photo on a ride that is nearly as much as a matinee cinema ticket. Theatres have to charge premium for concession, because certain distributors charge ridiculous amount just for exhibiting a film.  Then the studio will also take majority of a revenue.

Because you cannot watching a recording of those from your home (minus sports) without really loses something compared to being there.  I cannot explain it but seeing a play live really feels special compared to watching a video of the same play.  

For sports it is the giant party atmosphere, and at least in football you have a role by shouting loudly so the other team's offense cannot hear (yes, that is part of football).  As a result it is treated as your duty to the team to show up, and many fans pay to go like crazy.

For movies where silence is the norm and breaking this is considered socially unacceptable ruining any party atmosphere.  There is really not that much difference from renting a movie and watching it at home, as long as you have a big TV.  If you do not have a big TV you probably have a friend who does.

• Like 2

My cinemas pricing still isn’t too bad. very dependent on scheduling just lucky I get days off during the week. I saw Asteroid City on Thursday for £5.99 and then Indiana Jones on Friday for £11.99

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I just remembered that I said I would shave my head if Barbie opens to $10 million previews.

looking at the current numbers, I’ve come to the conclusion that I have made a mistake.

hair dresser GIF

• Haha 4

I see it completely different. There is a huge difference between watching a film at home or on a big screen surrounded with people. It's like saying that a concert is as good at home with great speakers than live. I guess I watch movies way more than the average Joe, so I see it differently. I like going to midnight shows and premier screenings, because the communal atmosphere is electric. Horror films and comedies particularly good fun in a busy screening. And of course big tentpoles. To me watching certain films in a good crowd is nearly on par with a sports game Also accessibility matters. Now I understand that a cinema ticket is not cheap for a poor person. But that person could afford it for certain films. The same person can never watch a NBA or NFL game or Beyonce live if money is a real issue.  

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cooldude97 said:

wonder if it's a hot take to say I'm ok if the indiana jones franchise got rebooted with a new actor like 15 years from now mostly because i know Disney won't let the franchise rest for too long and I have no interest in watching any indy film not staring indy himself and I miss the 40-60 aesthetic

I wouldn't mind a reboot IF it focused on Indy when he was still like a twentysomething and stayed in that specific time period. Like before he aged to the point when he was in Raiders so it doesn't overlap with Ford's movies. I'd hate to see those actually get remade/replaced.

Disney movies are currently 2, 4 and 5 on the 2023 domestic chart. Elementals and Indy 5 have good shots of finishing top 20. It’s realistic that The Marvels finishes in the top 10. 
Quality is a fair discussion. Success relative to budget is a fair discussion. The idea that Disney movies are aggressively being rejected is pretty odd. 
I read her that GOTGv3 only made a good amount of money because it got good WOM. FFS. Good WOM is not some kind of illegal steroid. 

Edited by Mr Terrific
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

People complained about the prices even before they all had Netflix/Disney+/etc. and PVOD three weekends after it hits theaters, for less than the price of two adult tickets in some markets. I feel very lucky that I live in a market where matinees and Cheap Tuesdays mean never paying more than $9/ticket (2D) but usually even less than that. We are just getting Past Lives this weekend, but life's full of trade-offs.

But I look at NY/LA prices sometimes, especially the PLFs and just wince to think how much it would cost a family there, especially if you were considering concessions. And the movie will just be on some service you probably already pay for in a few months. Or you can rent it and have a family movie night with grocery store candy and popcorn and pizza for $35 vs $75+ just for 4-5 matinee tickets in a top market (plus another $40+ for concessions). Add in the possibility of a bad theater experience or not enjoying the movie you took 3-4 hours out of everyone's lives to see, and I get why people are increasingly opting out moviegoing as a regular activity. They just don’t see the sanctity of the theatrical experience as worth it for most movies; streaming will do. Studios are going to have to adjust.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

He's really good in The Hunt too.

I’ve been meaning to watch it but given it’s subject matter I want to be in the right headspace.

49 minutes ago, Human said:

Because you cannot watching a recording of those from your home (minus sports) without really loses something compared to being there.  I cannot explain it but seeing a play live really feels special compared to watching a video of the same play.  

For sports it is the giant party atmosphere, and at least in football you have a role by shouting loudly so the other team's offense cannot hear (yes, that is part of football).  As a result it is treated as your duty to the team to show up, and many fans pay to go like crazy.

For movies where silence is the norm and breaking this is considered socially unacceptable ruining any party atmosphere.  There is really not that much difference from renting a movie and watching it at home, as long as you have a big TV.  If you do not have a big TV you probably have a friend who does.

I… don’t agree at all to be honest. You can easily watch theater, ballet, sports and all the others from the comfort of your home. Easily, cheaply, and legally. By doing so, you lose the exact same thing as you do with cinemas vs. Watching a movie at home. The cinema experience definitely elevates movies for me, personally. I don’t think 10-15 dollars is a crazy price to pay for a movie honestly - whether that’s the experience of an audience cheering along to Spider Verse, or allowing myself to fully submerge in the story of The Card Counter in a quiet theater. 

• Like 2

And apropos of nothing in particular, just thinking out loud: playing operas has become quite popular for cinemas around here. They are special showings occurring maybe once a month for so, the shows last 3-4 hours and they are always, always, completely sold out weeks in advance. Literally every last seat. The amount of technological and societal changes that theatres have survived is quite frankly staggering when you really think about it. Despite all the criticism about ticket prices, movie theaters are still by far the cheapest way to completely get away from real life for a few hours. I really believe they aren’t going anywhere, even if Flash and Indy 5 didn’t make as much money as we thought this summer. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I see it completely different. There is a huge difference between watching a film at home or on a big screen surrounded with people. It's like saying that a concert is as good at home with great speakers than live. I guess I watch movies way more than the average Joe, so I see it differently. I like going to midnight shows and premier screenings, because the communal atmosphere is electric. Horror films and comedies particularly good fun in a busy screening. And of course big tentpoles. To me watching certain films in a good crowd is nearly on par with a sports game Also accessibility matters. Now I understand that a cinema ticket is not cheap for a poor person. But that person could afford it for certain films. The same person can never watch a NBA or NFL game or Beyonce live if money is a real issue.  

Watching a horror film with a busy crowd is great. If there are no idiots. 

Had a horrible experience with audience members during The Pope’s Exorcist in April and we had to leave. 

Cinema staff need to do more. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Had a horrible experience with audience members during The Pope’s Exorcist in April and we had to leave. 

Idiots run rampant here. Saw The Flash and Asteroid City with large crowds and got phone lights and people talking throught the whole thing. 

• Sad 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Idiots run rampant here. Saw The Flash and Asteroid City with large crowds and got phone lights and people talking throught the whole thing. 

It’s crap! Cinemas are expecting people to come back, but aren’t making the effort to make it worthwhile. 

They’re not checking in on screenings enough, ejecting idiots, having only one PLF, weird showtimes, forcing the prime time evening slots to the one PLF, reduced morning shows if any etc. There are a lot of cinema managers on twitter expecting people to come back just because.

They need to do better. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I had a sort of similar experience with The Boogeyman. For the first thirty minutes there were these annoying kids in the front row that were talking and using their phones until they ran out. 

Here’s what weird thought: my uncle and aunt saw the movie a few weeks later, and the same thing happened to them. When they brought it up to management, they said it was apparently a trend going on in local theaters with this movie in particular and it’s happened several times.