Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

All of these went up, stronger Sunday than expected

More like side effect of weaker Saturday bump. This is the way how I feel about holiday BO, they are just shifting the number among themselves, instead of actually boosting the BO.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

More like side effect of weaker Saturday bump. This is the way how I feel about holiday BO, they are just shifting the number among themselves, instead of actually boosting the BO.  

Up is up so BO got boosted though. 

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And I'm saying this isn't a problem for Disney. This is the endgame!

If Disney+ didn't exist, I would still wait for VOD/Redbox. So would audiences, especially when Redbox costs $2.25, and VOD goes down to $6.00.

well it is a problem for them as they’re not in any business to lose money. 

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Sometimes yes, and this Tue July 4th spread does feel more like a Memorial Day (aka flatter) weekend in terms of numbers than a typical weekend with a holiday Sunday bump 

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

well it is a problem for them as they’re not in any business to lose money. 

No studio is in that business, but they're all losing money. Universal had a hit with Mario, but with Fast X barely breaking even and Ruby Gillman floundering (I'm sure I'm missing other Universal films), even they're not doing as well as hoped. Why are we still acting like Disney is the only studio shitting the bed when it comes to box office?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Switch to all audience and DoD is 80% which is bad and it has a B+ Cinemascore which is also bad.

It's just appealing to older people a lot because of nostalgia, the younger audiences don't seem to care.

You make a blanket statement like it's unequivocally true. You don't know what you're talking about. How do you know why Indiana Jones appeals to people like me? It appeals to people like me because it was enjoyable. End of story. I mentioned here what I didn't like about Indiana Jones but there's a lot more that I did like about it which is why I recommended to people and while be seeing it again.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In the US it's a 5-day holiday weekend for most people (due to 4th of July falling on a Tuesday), which means drops will be rather light across the board. Sunday was essentially a second Saturday for all movies, and today and tomorrow will behave like Sundays as well.

So that makes even more sense. You got to Canadian holiday and the American holiday all wrapped up into 5 days. Pretty good time to release a movie.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

You make a blanket statement like it's unequivocally true. You don't know what you're talking about. How do you know why Indiana Jones appeals to people like me? It appeals to people like me because it was enjoyable. End of story. I mentioned here what I didn't like about Indiana Jones but there's a lot more that I did like about it which is why I recommended to people and while be seeing it again.

Like review bombing isn’t a thing and Rotten Tomatoes barely can do a half-assed job of keeping at bay. 

14 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

No studio is in that business, but they're all losing money. Universal had a hit with Mario, but with Fast X barely breaking even and Ruby Gillman floundering (I'm sure I'm missing other Universal films), even they're not doing as well as hoped. Why are we still acting like Disney is the only studio shitting the bed when it comes to box office?

because the turnaround in how their movies are performing since their streaming service is extraordinary and the biggest topic of discussion in this field. 

All studios are in it to make money. They all have winners and losers, but the trick is not to bet the farm on a few. Which is what Disney have always been able to do, until they decided to undo it all. 

It’s all a matter of opinion, but when you can have one single movie (say Way of Water) make you more money than your streaming service has from inception to the end of next year - I mean…. streaming really wasn’t the be all and end all was it?

Everybody is realising that now. A rude awakening and one that needed to happen. 

Edited by wildphantom

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like review bombing isn’t a thing and Rotten Tomatoes barely can do a half-assed job of keeping at bay. 

Review bombing *isn't* a thing on rt. You literally can only vote by buying. Not like RT is saying anything different from the posttrak and cinemascore polls, but I guess people lied to them while literally coming out of the theater as well!

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

This. Imagine all those seniors logging on to tell rotten tomatoes what grade they’d give it.  Lol. 

and they’re the ones the film’s story will resonate with the most. 

I don’t expect teenagers to relate to their place in the world at their sunset, but that’s not a failure of the film that it’s not aimed at them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, XXR Doom N' Gloom said:

No more poverty films like Lady Bird for Greta! Welcome (inevitably) to the MCU/DCU/Star Wars! 

:hahaha:

Weird to see the Twitter pile-on for this when every male that directs a half-decent horror movie gets a 200 million budget and nobody blinks or cares.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm making a blanket statement because it is unequivocally true. The olds are liking Indiana Jones and younger people aren't - posttrak numbers being used, literally no editorializing, just numbers as people say

The older Dial of Destiny‘s audience gets, the better the grades with the 45-55 sect (19% turnout) giving it 83% and the over 55 people (at 23%) giving it 89%

So from that we can infer that the younger than 45 set gave it 65%. It's pretty much a nostalgia play that isn't working outside the people old enough to remember the nostalgia.

Edit: also adding this

problem with Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is that there were no efforts here to cast-it-up and make it appealing to an under-40, diverse crowd, like Paramount did with Top Gun: Maverick..This is evident in the B- that Dial of Destiny received from 18-24 moviegoers. Disney reports that 42% of the audience was under 35 for Dial of Destiny.

• Like 2