baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

200m+ combined ?

Saving cinema. 

I genuinely think with these and MI7 still running, theatres are going to go into a frenzy

At the absolute ceiling, its like 150M + 70M + 40M = 260M between three movies and maybe 300M overall

• Like 1

if THAT weekend really ends with something like 125M barbie, 50M Nolan and 40M Cruise I hope hollywood learns. We need a variegated offer, not a new 200M green screened action flick for the same audience every fu...week. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

if THAT weekend really ends with something like 125M barbie, 50M Nolan and 40M Cruise I hope hollywood learns. We need a variegated offer, not a new 200M green screened action flick for the same audience every fu...week. 

Hopefully a $16m budgeted horror film knocking $329m budgeted Indiana Jones off #1 with no PLFs teaches a lesson too. 

Hollywood rarely learns though. 

Man, if Barbie even does $300 million it’ll save summer.  
the key here is that we could finally have a mega hit that’s primarily a female audience coming out for it. This will be fantastic news for cinemas where that demo has been slow for a couple of years.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LegionGPT said:

Don’t like facts @WorkingonaName and @MCKillswitch123?

Don't like condescendence :capmad

You could very well be factually correct about this, but did you need to be passive-aggressive about someone daring to say Barbie has hot pre-sales? It's like a point you have to go out of your way to prove that it's not having Marvel movie pre-sales or something?

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

46 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Man, if Barbie even does $300 million it’ll save summer.  
the key here is that we could finally have a mega hit that’s primarily a female audience coming out for it. This will be fantastic news for cinemas where that demo has been slow for a couple of years.  

But summer doesnt need saving. The guaranteed mega-hit of the season is still to come. A movie so hotly anticipated, people would sell their pets and grandmas to see it on opening day. A movie already so beloved that it is sure to be generation-defining.

Spoiler

No this not another The Meg joke!

Spoiler

This is the movie im referring to:

Spoiler

meg_two_the_trench_2023_poster.jpg

Spoiler

I wasnt lying, its not a The Meg joke, its a The Meg 2 joke

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 4

31 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You could very well be factually correct about this, but did you need to be passive-aggressive about someone daring to say Barbie has hot pre-sales? It's like a point you have to go out of your way to prove that it's not having Marvel movie pre-sales or something?

Tell me about it. When I created this club exactly a year before Barbie release

Marvel fans took a huge offense. Insert tons of "The Marvels OW >>> Barbie lifetime total" and "Barbie will be lucky to ______" jokes. 

7573c001-661f-4337-8119-6cb05e70d9af_tex

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Tell me about it. When I created this club exactly a year before Barbie release

Marvel fans took a huge offense. Insert tons of "The Marvels OW >>> Barbie lifetime total" and "Barbie will be lucky to ______" jokes. 

7573c001-661f-4337-8119-6cb05e70d9af_tex

They hated Jesus because he told them the truth. 

• Astonished 1

3 hours ago, pryda said:

Guillermo del Toro made Pacific Rim movies based and inspired by Japanese super robot manga series.

If you take a note that "Mazinger Z" (Tranzor Z in US) originated in 1972 !😲 and Grandizer in 1975 its hard to believe that nobody else took advantage of making it to the big screen. Arguably, Grandizer has huge potential visually and story wise and there are places in the World with a mass following fan base like France and Italy. (Yes, Mexico too :) ).

With the money invested in Transformers, Grandizer would become a phenomenon.

Where are you from?

In Spain, Mazinger Z was the biggest phenomenon of the 70´s and begining of the 80´s.  If a move were made in that time for sure had broken box office records, because every children the crazy was totally mad with the series. 
Here in Spain, there is also a 25 m. tall statue from Mazinger. 

i don´t know if in any corner of the world, there is something like this for a cartoon character, it´s difficult to explain how popular this tv series was here. 
All this generation still remember and loves it, a truly massive cultural phenomenon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LegionGPT said:

Out here in reality it’s similar to A2 for previews and behind in total PS iirc. Way behind QM and Gotg.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

He's almost certainly right, as I just posted about in the tracking thread. This is just Thursday, not overall pre-sales, but just to give some perspective on Barbie vs the big films from BPWF (note: log scale)

CszbDaj.png

And I know Legion has been slow to hop on the Barbie train, but I read whatever condescension was present as being directed towards the (often hyperbolic) source of that claim. Like its fine to say Barbie presales have been HOT, but there's no need to make them out to something other than what they are

That Barbie is even being compared to Avatar, AMWQ, GOTG3 and ATSV - all of which are major brands with immediate fanboy purchases - really speaks to the level she's approaching

PS - who wants to bet on Barbie winding up at that same ~$17M convergence point?

• Like 17

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hoping Barbie doesn’t go too too bonkers and take down Mario DOM. I am all for it getting anywhere under that, but needs to stop there please. 

I hope it does. Mario was mid.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, M37 said:

He's almost certainly right, as I just posted about in the tracking thread. This is just Thursday, not overall pre-sales, but just to give some perspective on Barbie vs the big films from BPWF (note: log scale)

CszbDaj.png

And I know Legion has been slow to hop on the Barbie train, but I read whatever condescension was present as being directed towards the (often hyperbolic) source of that claim. Like its fine to say Barbie presales have been HOT, but there's no need to make them out to something other than what they are

That Barbie is even being compared to Avatar, AMWQ, GOTG3 and ATSV - all of which are major brands with immediate fanboy purchases - really speaks to the level she's approaching

PS - who wants to bet on Barbie winding up at that same ~$17M convergence point?

I largely agree with everything you said here, but with how strong the pace for barbie has been, wouldn't be shocked if it overtook that 17M line with strong reactions and reviews, though it's possible that sharing too many screens with oppenheimer/MI7 and lack of PLF ends up biting it in the end..

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Hey if Disney still want to sell Pixar I'm sure WB will pick them up for the prospect of getting the rights to a live action Toy Story/Barbie crossover

There's like no world where Disney'd sell Pixar. Even if they were having issues, they'd just be dissolved and absorbed into Disney animation. 

23 minutes ago, M37 said:

CszbDaj.png

Again, I recognize that he may be (evidently, he is) factually correct. I said so straight away.

The issue is the said condescendence, which reads very cynically towards Barbie and those supporting it. Some people have taken their stance on this film from a clear antagonistic perspective and, while this may be a stretch for me to say and I may be the only one to sense it, it almost plays like "fandom war" superhero movie fans vs. the world type thing. Sorta like when Avatar 2 came out.

• Like 2