baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd say 80% vs 90%...of course, if the theater has 3 screens or less, it will be 100%, but overall, an 80% spread between the movies at 6-16s seems about right...

I'm looking at Regal Atlantic Station and they seem to already have 6 of their 18 screens allocated to Barbie and Oppenheimer (3 each of course) on Saturday July 22.

Dunno if they will add more of course.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

That's a really good point. That at least makes it a little bit more plausible when both of them can defy gravity LOL

The big difference to me is that Cruise does the stunts and risk his life for the ultimate shot. The sad thing is that there are so many CGI films and they got so good at it that when people do practical action it doesn't seem as impressive unless the camera angle is spot on. Luckily there are pretty cool shots in this one.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

I'm looking at Regal Atlantic Station and they seem to already have 6 of their 18 screens allocated to Barbie and Oppenheimer (3 each of course) on Saturday July 22.

Dunno if they will add more of course.

My 14 has 3 (Barbie), 2 (Oppy), and 1 (MI) for 6 allocated as of today.

My 12 has 2 (Barbie), 2 (Oppy), and 1 (MI) for 5 allocated as of today.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-tom-cruise-1235434821/

WEDNESDAY PM: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One‘s opening day is looking $16M, which includes the $7M in previews.

Note this is about the long-play of the movie, and Tom Cruise fare is back-loaded.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems right on pace for my $55M weekend prediction which is the same OW as Fallout without previews. That means it will already have a head start on Fallout's gross as of Sunday. I don't know why expectations were so high for this, MI movies all perform roughly the same. 

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 1

Still pretty sure this thing will leg out but yeah it's going to have to work for it. The good news is that Part Two is basically happening regardless with also less competition so Paramount won't have to worry too much if this one does underperform.

21 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

All right that's a 9 million opening day. I remember back in 2004 I think it was whenever Shrek 2 opened and it opened softly during the week as well and everybody at the forums was piling on it calling it a massive failure, a disaster and so on. That was back when everybody had gigantic love for Pixar and for some reason they hated dreamworks. I guess not much has changed in 20 years but the point is it open softly during the week and then of course blew up on the weekend and went on to make something like 400 million. I'm doing this all from memory right now and I haven't looked up the figures but I do know for sure that Shrek part 2 made a huge amount of money after opening up softly on a weekdays.

I'm sure mission Impossible will still have a great weekend. But if that truly is the opening day number, 9 million without the previews, that's really disappointing.

• Like 3

So let's say MI7 is making $10M today. I know it's not totally equivalent but Super Mario opened on a Wednesday to $31.7M and finished Sunday at $204.6M

I can't imagine MI7 is more backloaded than a non-summer kids film (especially since MI7 has already done $7M in previews). I'm having a hard time seeing MI7 over $65M Wed-Sun.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, XXR Electric Touch said:

So let's say MI7 is making $10M today. I know it's not totally equivalent but Super Mario opened on a Wednesday to $31.7M and finished Sunday at $204.6M

I can't imagine MI7 is more backloaded than a non-summer kids film (especially since MI7 has already done $7M in previews). I'm having a hard time seeing MI7 over $65M Wed-Sun.

Mario didn't have previews right? Does play a part in the overall multiplier for the 5-day. But also it had Good Friday and MI doesn't.

I guess even then, hard to see much more than 70m if that number holds unless this plays out a lot differently.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, XXR Electric Touch said:

Mario opened during Easter/Spring break so it is not a direct comparison but yeah things aren't looking good

Okay yeah I mean that's not good, and I have been trying to be Mr. Positivity in this thread. It stinks. Sound of Freedom, a deranged right wing conspiracy film (give me warning points for saying it here if you want I don't give a fuck) going to outgross my favorite franchise Indiana Jones. That racist subhuman Morgan Wallen just had 13 weeks on top of Billboard charts, one of longest streaks ever. We are losing. Culture is just getting away from me and things I like. It's not even worth following anymore. A small bit of joy in this world fading. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1